A Crossroad: An email to a church member

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2013, 08:50 AM
RE: A Crossroad: An email to a church member
Have you determined what you're trying to accomplish with this? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
12-12-2013, 08:57 AM
(11-12-2013 04:28 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  And still no response... hrmmm.

I wouldn't be surprised if it took a week to get a reply. You gave them a lot to chew on and there is likely back and forth between them.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
12-12-2013, 09:07 AM
(11-12-2013 05:11 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Don't pace. Go for a walk or something. Go shoot something?

Haha, oh I'm not that worried. It's just odd that he responded so quickly and then became silent.

And, I do need to go shoot. I haven't shot my gun since I killed the copperhead.

(11-12-2013 05:59 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  *hugs for kingschosen*

Thanks Smile

(11-12-2013 06:01 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Silence is a pretty strong response. You may find your answer in that that silence.

I'm thinking that as well. As others have said, I don't think he knows how to respond. : /

(12-12-2013 05:36 AM)Vosur Wrote:  You know, my mother is similar to you in this regard. She has had so dominantly negative experiences with churches and the hypocrisy of their members in her life that even if she was to convert to Christianity, she would never attend at a church again.

It's sad how many people are affected like this. My brother and his friend are actually working on a ministry for Christians who have been burned by the church.

(12-12-2013 05:39 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I agree with Anjele...........silence is a strong response.
Unless --- this guy's usually really busy and doesn't get online or to email very often.

still wishing you luck

That could be it. I'm assuming he's a pretty busy guy. Still odd, though.

(12-12-2013 08:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  Have you determined what you're trying to accomplish with this? Consider

Not trying to accomplish anything. Just doing and responding as I feel given the set of events in my life.

(12-12-2013 08:57 AM)Dom Wrote:  I wouldn't be surprised if it took a week to get a reply. You gave them a lot to chew on and there is likely back and forth between them.

Yeah. I know. But, I would at least appreciate an acknowledgement.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
12-12-2013, 09:43 AM
I'm going through the process of leaving my church. I keep getting emails from my pastor telling me that I can't expect God to honour our family if we don't honour him. The weird thing is that virtually every aspect of my life is better after leaving the church, I have a better marriage, finances are better and I don't feel depressed. Plus I'm finally able to be honest with myself and give myself the room to doubt and critique the ridiculous aspects of christianity especially in reformed circles.

Best of luck

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
[+] 2 users Like djkamilo's post
12-12-2013, 12:35 PM
I agree with Dom, some responses are easy to give. I imagine he responded so quickly the first time because he knew what to say. Your second Email is not as easy to respond to. Especially since you aren't leaving "coming back to church" on the table as an option (if I remember right). If I were him, I may have started one or two responses by now, and scrapped them thinking I wasn't choosing my words right. I am betting you will get a response in time, once he can figure out what he really wants to say to you.

Of course that is just my guess! Don't stress over it would be my first strategy (which I know you said you aren't, so good job haha) Thumbsup.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
12-12-2013, 01:12 PM
Perhaps he is conferring with someone else? Spouse? Does he answer to someone higher up (besides the obvious)?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
12-12-2013, 01:18 PM
(12-12-2013 01:12 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Perhaps he is conferring with someone else? Spouse? Does he answer to someone higher up (besides the obvious)?

Yeah, he's probably talking to our pastor. Pretty sure that's why he asked me if he could share it with him.

12-12-2013, 01:27 PM
Make sure you peek outside before answering your door...they are planning an all-church intervention.

And like all good door-knockers they will show up Saturday morning.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
12-12-2013, 01:38 PM
(12-12-2013 09:43 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  I keep getting emails from my pastor telling me that I can't expect God to honour our family if we don't honour him.

Yea, ya ween.
What do you want for abandoning a life of lying to yourself? Forgiveness? Dodgy sheesh

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
12-12-2013, 01:38 PM
(12-12-2013 01:27 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Make sure you peek outside before answering your door...they are planning an all-church intervention.

And like all good door-knockers they will show up Saturday morning.

My 9mm doesn't discriminate. It hates everyone equally.

[+] 5 users Like kingschosen's post