A Crossroad: An email to a church member

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2013, 04:38 AM
RE: A Crossroad: An email to a church member
(12-12-2013 06:25 PM)The Misanthrope Wrote:  Anyone who thinks he is or should be seen as superior to his fellows, in any way, is an enemy of humanity and should be treated as such.

Hear! Hear! Tongue

Quote:Now shut the fuck up cause I am going to take my infinitely better than humans Dogs Bowing for a walk.

Agreed about dogs. Smile

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2013, 06:23 AM
(10-12-2013 09:00 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(10-12-2013 06:34 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
I wish more Christians followed this : /

I can't help wondering what goes wrong here. Are all Christians bad at following this commandment? Are there some special ones that are good at it, but are hard to find amongst the chaff? Is it the seeker who is at fault, not fitting into the group think as they should? Is it the commandment itself? By this shall all men know that Jesus disciples left us long ago?

I know there is a strong free will component at work here, but this is not some idle aspirational goal. It is a commandment given directly from the mouth of Jesus. If his church fails at this as he knows they will and they must, then how will all men know? How will they know his disciples when atheists can do better than those with divine help? How will they know his disciples when the airwaves are full of Christian bigotry? How will they know his disciples when churches split and fail?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
13-12-2013, 06:54 AM
(13-12-2013 06:23 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(10-12-2013 09:00 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I wish more Christians followed this : /

I can't help wondering what goes wrong here. Are all Christians bad at following this commandment? Are there some special ones that are good at it, but are hard to find amongst the chaff? Is it the seeker who is at fault, not fitting into the group think as they should? Is it the commandment itself? By this shall all men know that Jesus disciples left us long ago?

I know there is a strong free will component at work here, but this is not some idle aspirational goal. It is a commandment given directly from the mouth of Jesus. If his church fails at this as he knows they will and they must, then how will all men know? How will they know his disciples when atheists can do better than those with divine help? How will they know his disciples when the airwaves are full of Christian bigotry? How will they know his disciples when churches split and fail?

It has nothing to do with being Christian or atheist. Some people are lovers and some are haters. It's just people.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
13-12-2013, 07:50 AM
(13-12-2013 04:30 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 12:04 AM)The Misanthrope Wrote:  This fucking joint is full of confused, Kumbaya and Age of Aquarius singing, Win and Place Atheists who, being unsure of their anti-Christian convictions, are craftily keeping their Heavenly options open. Yes Worship Slaves Laugh out load

But that's okay, I never could stand unwashed, mung bean munching, pacifist hippy cunts like "Neil" in the "Young Ones." Wink

Wow, aren't you full of prejudice! You don't know a single person here yet, but you have lumped everyone in an arbitrary box. Sad.

I think he actually does know people here. You should look in to that.Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-12-2013, 07:53 AM
(13-12-2013 06:23 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(10-12-2013 09:00 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I wish more Christians followed this : /

This gives a little more credence to predestination and election, don't you think?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
13-12-2013, 07:55 AM
(13-12-2013 07:53 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 06:23 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I can't help wondering what goes wrong here. Are all Christians bad at following this commandment? Are there some special ones that are good at it, but are hard to find amongst the chaff? Is it the seeker who is at fault, not fitting into the group think as they should? Is it the commandment itself? By this shall all men know that Jesus disciples left us long ago?

This gives a little more credence to predestination and election, don't you think?

Nope, that is still astoundingly stupid. Drinking Beverage

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 6 users Like Revenant77x's post
13-12-2013, 07:58 AM
If predestination is true then might we expect to find a predestined group somewhere that does consistently follow this commandment? Perhaps you should keep looking for the community you are meant to join with rather than disengaging from Christian community.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
13-12-2013, 07:58 AM
(13-12-2013 07:55 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 07:53 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  This gives a little more credence to predestination and election, don't you think?

Nope, that is still astoundingly stupid. Drinking Beverage

You totally just Chas'ed.

[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
13-12-2013, 08:01 AM
(13-12-2013 07:58 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 07:55 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Nope, that is still astoundingly stupid. Drinking Beverage

You totally just Chas'ed.

Yes Hey sometimes you gotta go with the classics.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
13-12-2013, 08:01 AM
(13-12-2013 07:58 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  If predestination is true then might we expect to find a predestined group somewhere that does consistently follow this commandment? Perhaps you should keep looking for the community you are meant to join with rather than disengaging from Christian community.

For me... I think I'm going to just keep "being". God gives me my desires, and I will follow those... where ever they lead.