A Crossroad: An email to a church member

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2013, 12:29 PM
RE: A Crossroad: An email to a church member
The hypocrisy is definitely what started me on my way out of the church (organized religion). Later the realization that there are people that take the bible literally just floored me.

My hometown was mostly Catholic. When I was in my late teens and early 20s, I tended bar at the local country club as well as some of the many, many bars in town. I watched as these good Catholics drank their weight in liquor night after night, spoke horribly about people, played grab-ass with each other's spouses, and generally broke most - if not all- of the commandments; then come Sunday morning they were front and center of the Basilica. Good Catholics because they attended church and put money in the collection plate. The general nastiness displayed by many of my classmates was certainly not in keeping with what was being taught in church and at school. It was the hypocrisy that turned me from church. It was further study that turned me from religion and belief in the Christian god altogether.

I have met Christians that at least try to live a Christian life that isn't forced or faked and I am fine with those people. Unfortunately too many who call themselves Christian think that makes them superior....and in charge. I say, clean up your own house and don't worry so much about mine.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.

Just because her eyes don't tear doesn't mean her heart doesn't cry. Just because she comes off strong doesn't mean there's nothing wrong.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
13-12-2013, 12:35 PM
(13-12-2013 12:07 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I know you didn't ask me Moms. but I think it's the harm that religion causes both on a personal/psychological and a social level that fuels atheist "activism".

Unless by "fuels atheism" you meant "starts people on their journey to atheism."

I wasn't really talking about atheist activism. It certainly does act as a rather a rallying call to atheists. I doubt anyone can deny that.

But I also wonder if the hypocrisy of religion turns off people to faith and thereby forces people to consider atheism or perhaps as Witch Sabrina mentioned just don't believe, good or bad -- doesn't matter. They stop considering. I'm sure the opposite must be true too. People who attend church without caring a whit about the inner politics of their church or the overall doctrine they espouse.

Because that opens a pandora's box, where you have people accepting atheism as their new "default" position without really considering atheism in general (much like Kirk Cameron, who I doubt was ever atheist but rather never thought about it).

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
13-12-2013, 12:40 PM
(13-12-2013 10:09 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  He sent this text out of nowhere? Does he go to your ex-church?

I believe this was a text that Kingsy sent to a guy - not one he received from someone.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
13-12-2013, 12:46 PM
(13-12-2013 12:40 PM)kim Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 10:09 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  He sent this text out of nowhere? Does he go to your ex-church?

I believe this was a text that Kingsy sent to a guy - not one he received from someone.

I think he's asking about the texting conversation that prompted my reply text.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
13-12-2013, 12:52 PM
(13-12-2013 12:46 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I think he's asking about the texting conversation that prompted my reply text.

Oh... but here's what I saw...
(13-12-2013 09:57 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  A recent text I sent to a friend who is struggling with guilt. He is completely unrelated to this event:

You're carrying around a lifetime of indoctrination of the Baptist Church. It says that you should feel ashamed and guilty of your sins. That's not what the Bible teaches. We are to be free from sin. Yeah, we mess up... we're human. But, I'm not going to be ashamed of that or guilt myself. You shouldn't either. The church indoctrination has done so much damage. I hate it. When I let go of it, it was liberating. I hope you can do the same. That's not living. And, it's definitely not what it means to be a Christian. It's a form of suppression and crowd control for the masses so the church can retain itself. It's corrupt and evil and pollutes Christ.

Then, the next post was ...

Just getting the shit to make sense in my mind. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
13-12-2013, 01:05 PM
My brain hurts today.

No sense to be made.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
13-12-2013, 01:16 PM
Oh, no I was definitely confused. I read that wrong. I thought you were saying you received that text (out of nowhere)! My bad!

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
13-12-2013, 02:08 PM
(13-12-2013 08:01 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 07:58 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  If predestination is true then might we expect to find a predestined group somewhere that does consistently follow this commandment? Perhaps you should keep looking for the community you are meant to join with rather than disengaging from Christian community.

For me... I think I'm going to just keep "being". God gives me my desires, and I will follow those... where ever they lead.
fuck bitches get paid

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 1 user Likes Question's post
13-12-2013, 02:21 PM
(13-12-2013 02:08 PM)Question Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 08:01 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  For me... I think I'm going to just keep "being". God gives me my desires, and I will follow those... where ever they lead.
fuck bitches get paid

[Image: hA4466417]

Class that shit up! Laughat

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 6 users Like Revenant77x's post
13-12-2013, 07:07 PM
I'm so prejudiced I sound like reverse side of the filthy fucking Christians I slag so much, don't I? Tongue
[+] 3 users Like The Misanthrope's post