A Crossroad: An email to a church member

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2013, 07:30 PM
RE: A Crossroad: An email to a church member
(13-12-2013 12:29 PM)Anjele Wrote:  The hypocrisy is definitely what started me on my way out of the church (organized religion). Later the realization that there are people that take the bible literally just floored me.

My hometown was mostly Catholic. When I was in my late teens and early 20s, I tended bar at the local country club as well as some of the many, many bars in town. I watched as these good Catholics drank their weight in liquor night after night, spoke horribly about people, played grab-ass with each other's spouses, and generally broke most - if not all- of the commandments; then come Sunday morning they were front and center of the Basilica. Good Catholics because they attended church and put money in the collection plate. The general nastiness displayed by many of my classmates was certainly not in keeping with what was being taught in church and at school. It was the hypocrisy that turned me from church. It was further study that turned me from religion and belief in the Christian god altogether.

I have met Christians that at least try to live a Christian life that isn't forced or faked and I am fine with those people. Unfortunately too many who call themselves Christian think that makes them superior....and in charge. I say, clean up your own house and don't worry so much about mine.

Quote:My hometown was mostly Catholic. When I was in my late teens and early 20s, I tended bar at the local country club as well as some of the many, many bars in town. I watched as these good Catholics drank their weight in liquor night after night, spoke horribly about people, played grab-ass with each other's spouses

I don't think typically wowsing athechristians (pat. applied for) here realise how incredibly hard it is for us sybaritic ex-Caffliks to stay atheist when the good life in the Cafflik faith, as you describe above, still wistfully beckons like the Sirens in Homer's Odyssey.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like The Misanthrope's post
13-12-2013, 08:49 PM
If you don't want to be around the religious, then I'm sure there are other more strict atheist forums, this is not one of them.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
14-12-2013, 11:45 PM
(13-12-2013 08:49 PM)Question Wrote:  If you don't want to be around the religious, then I'm sure there are other more strict atheist forums, this is not one of them.

On the contrary, this is exactly where I want/need to be. Where I can enjoy annoying the living shit out of evil supercilious Christians and the politically correctness programmed, Ms's Know Best, latter-day Helen Reddy's - as well as the mealy-mouthed metrosexuals commanded by them - who aid and abet the forementioned gore drenched God loving, smegma munching momma's boys. No Laughat Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes The Misanthrope's post
15-12-2013, 12:22 AM (This post was last modified: 15-12-2013 01:31 AM by GirlyMan.)
(14-12-2013 11:45 PM)The Misanthrope Wrote:  On the contrary, this is exactly where I want/need to be. Where I can enjoy annoying the living shit out of evil supercilious Christians and the politically correctness programmed, ...

The evil supercilious ones deserve your vitriol.

I like your way with words. Thumbsup You'll do fine here, old as dirt fuck.

The Calvinist here, one of two holding the banhammer, is impervious to attack. He maintains his faith for practical reasons. .. And Girly's got his back.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
15-12-2013, 01:49 AM
(15-12-2013 12:22 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-12-2013 11:45 PM)The Misanthrope Wrote:  On the contrary, this is exactly where I want/need to be. Where I can enjoy annoying the living shit out of evil supercilious Christians and the politically correctness programmed, ...

The evil supercilious ones deserve your vitriol.

The Calvinist here, one of two holding the banhammer, is impervious to attack. He maintains his faith for practical reasons.

That's not strictly true. I was attacked by the plastic atheists (mostly from the “Wymyn Who Love Too Much S-o-o Many” Commando, I must admit Yes *) here, not some self-worshipping saints-in-training from an incest practicing snake-handing chapel up in the piney woods of Appalachia. All I did was ask why we had a mentally unstable Baptist (not singling beetle-browed Baptists out, all Christians are manifestly mentally unstable) with his little boy's bum stained finger on the dump button! Angel Sad

AH-OOGAH.......AH-OOGAH DIVE! DIVE!!..... HOSTILE FEMYNYSTS SIGHTED OFF PORT BOW!!! Ohmy Beat_stick
[+] 1 user Likes The Misanthrope's post
15-12-2013, 03:36 PM (This post was last modified: 15-12-2013 03:44 PM by GirlyMan.)
(15-12-2013 01:49 AM)The Misanthrope Wrote:  
(15-12-2013 12:22 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The evil supercilious ones deserve your vitriol.

The Calvinist here, one of two holding the banhammer, is impervious to attack. He maintains his faith for practical reasons.

That's not strictly true. I was attacked by the plastic atheists (mostly from the “Wymyn Who Love Too Much S-o-o Many” Commando, I must admit Yes *) here, not some self-worshipping saints-in-training from an incest practicing snake-handing chapel up in the piney woods of Appalachia. All I did was ask why we had a mentally unstable Baptist (not singling beetle-browed Baptists out, all Christians are manifestly mentally unstable) with his little boy's bum stained finger on the dump button! Angel Sad

AH-OOGAH.......AH-OOGAH DIVE! DIVE!!..... HOSTILE FEMYNYSTS SIGHTED OFF PORT BOW!!! Ohmy Beat_stick

Yup. You fit in nicely here. Old as dirt fuckhead. Thumbsup

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
15-12-2013, 05:24 PM
(10-12-2013 09:35 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(10-12-2013 09:31 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Yabut, Tim telling you he ain't gonna let you lose your house means Tim's moving in. Move over Jess, make some room. Dafuq you ain't got a king-sized bed for anyway? Big Grin

Ha. No. Not Tim.

While I do talk and occasionally visit him, there is someone else I talk to more than Tim (germanyt not Hughsie for those that are confused).

was it stark?

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 1 user Likes Lightvader's post
15-12-2013, 05:32 PM
(13-12-2013 07:53 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 06:23 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I can't help wondering what goes wrong here. Are all Christians bad at following this commandment? Are there some special ones that are good at it, but are hard to find amongst the chaff? Is it the seeker who is at fault, not fitting into the group think as they should? Is it the commandment itself? By this shall all men know that Jesus disciples left us long ago?

I know there is a strong free will component at work here, but this is not some idle aspirational goal. It is a commandment given directly from the mouth of Jesus. If his church fails at this as he knows they will and they must, then how will all men know? How will they know his disciples when atheists can do better than those with divine help? How will they know his disciples when the airwaves are full of Christian bigotry? How will they know his disciples when churches split and fail?

This gives a little more credence to predestination and election, don't you think?

Only for those looking for looking for self fulfilling prophecy or Barnum effect. Oh, sorry, that'd be Egor I'm talking about on the last one. Drinking Beverage

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
15-12-2013, 06:08 PM
(15-12-2013 01:49 AM)The Misanthrope Wrote:  That's not strictly true. I was attacked by the plastic atheists (mostly from the “Wymyn Who Love Too Much S-o-o Many” Commando, I must admit Yes *) here, not some self-worshipping saints-in-training from an incest practicing snake-handing chapel up in the piney woods of Appalachia. All I did was ask why we had a mentally unstable Baptist (not singling beetle-browed Baptists out, all Christians are manifestly mentally unstable) with his little boy's bum stained finger on the dump button! Angel Sad

Cantankerous old fuck. Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
16-12-2013, 10:00 AM
Still no response. I figured I would get something yesterday because I know it was probably discussed.

I wonder if this is the last I'll hear of it?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]