A Crossroad: An email to a church member

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2013, 04:33 PM
RE: A Crossroad: An email to a church member
(17-12-2013 02:50 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(17-12-2013 02:41 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  $5.00 says if/when you *do* get to talk with them this will ALL get turned around onto YOU....... how YOU hurt them with your words, took advantage of their care and fellowship all those years, dumped them when they needed you the most, etc.

cause............. that's just how that goes, my friend. That's just how that goes.
Anyone wanna bet me? I'll be happy to take your money one day when my prediction comes to fruition.

Weeping

I sure hope not because that is something that you REALLY don't want to do with me. The gloves will come off like they did at my last church.
Ever thought of trusting in God's character judgement and mercy and making a personal covenant between him and you, and then living and dying by it? IOW, put your trust in God and not fallible humanity.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-12-2013, 06:44 PM
(17-12-2013 02:35 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(17-12-2013 02:26 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Perhaps they decided to respect your wishes. And maybe they are a bit embarrassed at being called out by one of their own.

Sorry you and QC are struggling with this kind of stuff.

Perhaps. But, my wish was to only not have an "intervention". It wasn't "stop being my friend" or "stop communicating with me".

Isn't this effectively what you're getting with this near lack of response from them? Or is there more you'd wish for? Are you looking for some form of closure? Is that even possible or likely?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
17-12-2013, 07:04 PM
I think the silence means that they just don't have anything to say. Not that they don't want to say plenty to you, but you've been very clear and concise about how you feel and in order to respect that, they will need time to come up an appropriate response. My bet is that they won't be able to. Everything you've said is on the money and that's why they don't have a good response.

Also, while you were careful to be gracious about the church and the people in it, your emails were very strongly worded. Your friend probably just doesn't know how to respond because he's worried about pushing you away by saying something wrong, especially now that he's shared it with the pastor. He's walking on eggshells, or just not walking at all at the moment.

If you really value his friendship and want to continue a relationship with him, I suggest you reach out. You obviously respect him enough to have communicated your personal thoughts about the issue, so call him and set up a lunch date. If he's any sort of friend, I'm sure he'll agree. He already knows your feelings and attitude, and knows that they aren't about him. So hopefully there won't be any need for any heated arguments or anything like that, you can discuss things and leave everything between you and him on good terms. Perhaps you can leave a burning in his heart to show others in the church a "true christian" attitude of acceptance and love.

Or I could be way off, but it wouldn't hurt to reach out to him as a friend, if that's what you would want. He's probably just a bit apprehensive is all.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 6 users Like evenheathen's post
17-12-2013, 07:16 PM
(17-12-2013 03:00 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I am sorry you may have lost friendships. But then I have to wonder what the friendship was based on if this will end it. (Not on your end, but on your friend's). You should be able to have a difference of opinion and/or of beliefs. It is so odd to me that some people see others as ONLY one thing. There are so many facets to people that I don't understand how one aspect will overshadow all others. (Unless, of course, that aspect is one of a serial killer.)

Agreed. When I left the church, my friends left me. Turns out they were more friends with my Catholicism than they were with me.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 2 users Like Cathym112's post
17-12-2013, 07:25 PM
(17-12-2013 02:10 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  It was the pastor that sent me the text, btw, not my friend... so that shows that it was discussed.

I thanked him. He said "you're welcome" and I haven't heard anything since.

I think it's over. I don't think they're going to make any type of contact about it.

Yep. Its over. Now you can move on and let go. Smile

Or not............Sadcryface2

(17-12-2013 02:35 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  ...my wish was to only not have an "intervention". It wasn't "stop being my friend" or "stop communicating with me".

Oh well I guess.

I do feel really, really guilty that it all came to a head while we were at this church. As I've said over and over, the place and the people are really great, generally speaking... and they've haven't done anything wrong to us.

We just simply can't be associated with organized religion anymore... I don't think.

If any church or any congregation deserves to be uplifted and well respected, it's this one. It really is. The last church I was at was cesspool, and this one was a welcomed breath of fresh air.

Sad we couldn't eventually fit in.

...with the lovely nice new people.

(17-12-2013 02:50 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(17-12-2013 02:41 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  $5.00 says if/when you *do* get to talk with them this will ALL get turned around onto YOU....... how YOU hurt them with your words, took advantage of their care and fellowship all those years, dumped them when they needed you the most, etc.

cause............. that's just how that goes, my friend. That's just how that goes.
Anyone wanna bet me? I'll be happy to take your money one day when my prediction comes to fruition.

Weeping

I sure hope not because that is something that you REALLY don't want to do with me. The gloves will come off like they did at my last church.

Did you let your last Church know to visit your TTA forum and keep themselves up to date with your whine-athon?

/thread
[+] 1 user Likes Lion IRC's post
17-12-2013, 07:52 PM
(17-12-2013 07:25 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(17-12-2013 02:10 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  It was the pastor that sent me the text, btw, not my friend... so that shows that it was discussed.

I thanked him. He said "you're welcome" and I haven't heard anything since.

I think it's over. I don't think they're going to make any type of contact about it.

Yep. Its over. Now you can move on and let go. Smile

(17-12-2013 02:35 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  ...my wish was to only not have an "intervention". It wasn't "stop being my friend" or "stop communicating with me".

Oh well I guess.

I do feel really, really guilty that it all came to a head while we were at this church. As I've said over and over, the place and the people are really great, generally speaking... and they've haven't done anything wrong to us.

We just simply can't be associated with organized religion anymore... I don't think.

If any church or any congregation deserves to be uplifted and well respected, it's this one. It really is. The last church I was at was cesspool, and this one was a welcomed breath of fresh air.

Sad we couldn't eventually fit in.

(17-12-2013 02:50 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I sure hope not because that is something that you REALLY don't want to do with me. The gloves will come off like they did at my last church.

Did you let your last Church know to visit your TTA forum and keep themselves up to date with your whine-athon?

/thread

What the fuck is your problem dude?

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 6 users Like Cathym112's post
17-12-2013, 08:09 PM
(17-12-2013 07:52 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(17-12-2013 07:25 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Yep. Its over. Now you can move on and let go. Smile

/thread

I know, right? "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
17-12-2013, 09:21 PM
(17-12-2013 04:33 PM)The Misanthrope Wrote:  
(17-12-2013 02:50 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I sure hope not because that is something that you REALLY don't want to do with me. The gloves will come off like they did at my last church.
Ever thought of trusting in God's character judgement and mercy and making a personal covenant between him and you, and then living and dying by it? IOW, put your trust in God and not fallible humanity.

The foregoing was a suggestion, not a trick question or a literary ambuscade that as soon as you answered it I would pounce on your reply with a sarcastic punch line.

You problem(s) all boils down to a single question; do I utterly trust what fallible humanity* informs me about God and His doings, or do I trust my purpose-built internal Jesus receiver, that some refer to as the "voices in my head."

I'll give you a hint; the Bible is not fucking infallible, not even a few paragraphs of it. No sensible man can accept that a work-shy, sandy-arsed Aramean and God amalgam, named "Jesus," told the Jews only everything they need to know about God and his fucked-up frame of mind, and how to save their thieving scheming gypsy arses from Jesus' newly instituted Hellfire.

Then years afterwards another Jew called "Saul" falls off his horse and has an concussion induced hallucination about seeing the long dead Jesus where He (Jesus) tells him to belatedly pass the previously mentioned pearls of theological wisdom, and the "get out of Hell free" card, on to the despised Gentiles. A people we know that He wouldn't even give a quick sniff of one of His farts to!

If you can't see man's manipulating hand in that blatantly transparent load of theological cods-wallop, you're ready for Nurse Ratched's chemical cocktail, a long sleeved canvas cardigan with leather straps up the back, a room with foam rubber mattresses for walls.

* Father Kiddidila, Pastor Phlagon, or some similar God conjuring conman
[+] 3 users Like The Misanthrope's post
17-12-2013, 09:34 PM
(17-12-2013 07:52 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(17-12-2013 07:25 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Yep. Its over. Now you can move on and let go. Smile

/thread

He's a Christian. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
17-12-2013, 10:21 PM
(17-12-2013 09:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-12-2013 07:52 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  What the fuck is your problem dude?

He's a Christian. Drinking Beverage

Christnative Dissonance?
[+] 1 user Likes The Misanthrope's post