A Crossroad: An email to a church member

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2013, 08:02 AM
RE: A Crossroad: An email to a church member
(17-12-2013 07:52 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(17-12-2013 07:25 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Yep. Its over. Now you can move on and let go. Smile

Or not............Sadcryface2

...with the lovely nice new people.

Did you let your last Church know to visit your TTA forum and keep themselves up to date with your whine-athon?

/thread

What the fuck is your problem dude?

Looks like he has a giant case of GD*.

*=Giant Douchebag

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post
18-12-2013, 09:59 AM
Whilst ive been reading your thread KC I have had some thoughts.

Are you never going to join another church ever again KC? I don't know your upbringing or how often you went to church throughout your life but making the decision to stop going might have certain implications.

If you don't maintain going to church and all of the social events associated/stemming with it, then your children are going to grow up with less emphasis of god in their lives other than the general impact of society/life and your own input. (Personally I think this is a good thing but I would say that)

Whilst I imagine you have metaphorically speaking always had a "church of KC/QC" (meaning your family unit) this will now be your only church. Without the reinforcement/routine of a church and its lifestyle I wonder if this may have an effect over time on your own personal relationship with god?

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
18-12-2013, 10:07 AM
(18-12-2013 09:59 AM)bemore Wrote:  Whilst ive been reading your thread KC I have had some thoughts.

Are you never going to join another church ever again KC? I don't know your upbringing or how often you went to church throughout your life but making the decision to stop going might have certain implications.

If you don't maintain going to church and all of the social events associated/stemming with it, then your children are going to grow up with less emphasis of god in their lives other than the general impact of society/life and your own input. (Personally I think this is a good thing but I would say that)

Whilst I imagine you have metaphorically speaking always had a "church of KC/QC" (meaning your family unit) this will now be your only church. Without the reinforcement/routine of a church and its lifestyle I wonder if this may have an effect over time on your own personal relationship with god?

I've considered this. It's a real issue that I'm torn over. The church has really done a lot of damage to QC and me, and I don't want that to happen to my kids.

On the other hand, life is also filled with hurt, and it's not isolated to just Christians or the church. I really want to spare my kids from unnecessary hurt and unnecessary exposure to hypocrisy; especially, when it comes to the church - a unit that we're supposed to trust.

For the time being, we're not going to be in church. But, I'm not going to say we'll never join a church again... we just need to come to peace with certain issues that are hard for us to ignore.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
18-12-2013, 10:37 AM
Ya know, KC, you may find what you and QC are looking for accidentally. Sometimes what you need/want comes from unexpected places.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
18-12-2013, 10:43 AM
(18-12-2013 10:07 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 09:59 AM)bemore Wrote:  Whilst ive been reading your thread KC I have had some thoughts.

I've considered this. It's a real issue that I'm torn over. The church has really done a lot of damage to QC and me, and I don't want that to happen to my kids.

On the other hand, life is also filled with hurt, and it's not isolated to just Christians or the church. I really want to spare my kids from unnecessary hurt and unnecessary exposure to hypocrisy; especially, when it comes to the church - a unit that we're supposed to trust.

For the time being, we're not going to be in church. But, I'm not going to say we'll never join a church again... we just need to come to peace with certain issues that are hard for us to ignore.

Instead of church, why not join some secular kid's groups as they grow, there are a lot of these. Or volunteer groups, things like that.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
18-12-2013, 02:14 PM
KC, my parents were much like you and QC - I grew up not going to church but with a heavy family Christian vibe going on... prayers & bible readings every evening, extra prayers on Sunday, other weird shit on a random basis... My Dad was pro-science much like you (I've always wondered if he just fakes it tbh, but he does seem to make life decisions based off really weird ideas so I guess not). Mum also pro-science but with less scientific training... Aaaand... yeah, I directly credit that upbringing with me being an atheist today.

So be aware, your kiddos are gonna have their own ideas of truth or falsehood. If it's more important to you to make sure the little buggers grow up to be Christian, keeping them in a church, no matter how hypocritical you feel it is, is probably a good option. (Youth groups, camps, confirmation classes - you name your poison, we got it) If you want him to think for himself... keep right on with what you're doing, but he may think himself right out of the Christian box you'd like him to stay in Wink

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
18-12-2013, 03:04 PM
(17-12-2013 07:25 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Yep. Its over. Now you can move on and let go. Smile
Yep. Thumbsup

(17-12-2013 07:25 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(17-12-2013 02:35 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Sad we couldn't eventually fit in.
...with the lovely nice new people.
Yes, because the nice new people were nice ... but maybe just too fucking churchy.

(17-12-2013 07:25 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Did you let your last Church know to visit your TTA forum and keep themselves up to date with your whine-athon?

Why, yes he did... this was his last church and if you'd have paid attention, Kingsy mentioned this forum and the people here, to his friend in an email concerning his misgivings about the direction of christianity in general. Maybe he gained inspiration from you while writing it. Drinking Beverage Sorry you feel left out, whinny Liony.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 5 users Like kim's post
18-12-2013, 05:05 PM
(18-12-2013 03:04 PM)kim Wrote:  
Yep. Thumbsup

(17-12-2013 07:25 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  ...with the lovely nice new people.
Yes, because the nice new people were nice ... but maybe just too fucking churchy.

(17-12-2013 07:25 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Did you let your last Church know to visit your TTA forum and keep themselves up to date with your whine-athon?

Why, yes he did... this was his last church and if you'd have paid attention, Kingsy mentioned this forum and the people here, to his friend in an email concerning his misgivings about the direction of christianity in general. Maybe he gained inspiration from you while writing it. Drinking Beverage Sorry you feel left out, whinny Liony.

[Image: SmileyLOLSideways.gif]

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
18-12-2013, 05:09 PM
(18-12-2013 02:14 PM)morondog Wrote:  KC, my parents were much like you and QC - I grew up not going to church but with a heavy family Christian vibe going on... prayers & bible readings every evening, extra prayers on Sunday, other weird shit on a random basis... My Dad was pro-science much like you (I've always wondered if he just fakes it tbh, but he does seem to make life decisions based off really weird ideas so I guess not). Mum also pro-science but with less scientific training... Aaaand... yeah, I directly credit that upbringing with me being an atheist today.

So be aware, your kiddos are gonna have their own ideas of truth or falsehood. If it's more important to you to make sure the little buggers grow up to be Christian, keeping them in a church, no matter how hypocritical you feel it is, is probably a good option. (Youth groups, camps, confirmation classes - you name your poison, we got it) If you want him to think for himself... keep right on with what you're doing, but he may think himself right out of the Christian box you'd like him to stay in Wink
What you say is true, but I personally consider childhood indoctrination child abuse. So I wish you hadn't said it Censored

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 3 users Like Adrianime's post
18-12-2013, 09:55 PM
(17-12-2013 07:52 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  What the fuck is your problem dude?

Would you like an alphabetical, or chronological, list?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop