A Crucial Difference

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2015, 01:31 PM
A Crucial Difference
When you first glance at it, proselytizers and skeptics appear to be saying the same thing to each other:

Evangelist to Skeptic: "You already believe what you want to believe and have closed your mind to anything I tell you".

Skeptic to Evangelist: "You already believe what you want to believe and have closed your mind to anything I tell you".

The sentences are identical; the underlying meaning of each are diametrically opposed. I'll let the Skeptic explain:

Skeptic to Evangelist: "You believe what you want to believe and have closed your mind to new information. I believe what I think is believable and have closed my ears to what I have already heard. You and I are not saying the same thing at all. You come to me with new information and I'm all ears. But all you want from me is to hear what you've already heard. There's only one open mind at work here, and it isn't the one looking only to hear what it has already heard."

Which amounts to this: in the quest for truth, the one convinced he already has it will never find it. All of it, or even at all.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Airportkid's post
25-03-2015, 02:14 PM
RE: A Crucial Difference
It's like a child saying, "but you do it toooo, Tongue". It's cometely infantile. These two positions are not on the same footing. Apologetics is just a long list of excuses for clinging to a Bronze/Iron Age world view.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
25-03-2015, 02:19 PM
Except skeptcs are much much much more likely right, and is based on logic, and not a damn book.
[+] 1 user Likes ResistenceXD0001's post
26-03-2015, 05:35 AM
(25-03-2015 01:31 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  Skeptic to Evangelist: "You believe what you want to believe and have closed your mind to new information. I believe what I think is believable and have closed my ears to what I have already heard. You and I are not saying the same thing at all. You come to me with new information and I'm all ears. But all you want from me is to hear what you've already heard. There's only one open mind at work here, and it isn't the one looking only to hear what it has already heard."

Actually, a lot of seasoned apologists have already heard all of the counter apologetics, too. So, in their case, it wouldn't be that they're closed to new information, but rather that they're bound to their logical fallacies.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post