A Day of Memories

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-07-2013, 09:15 PM
A Day of Memories
It may be a bit early, but I've changed my avatar to depict the most wonderful birthday gift any 12-year-old could have received. The 12-year-old in question was me.

It saddens me to see what a joke the US space program has become. Apollo gave us an understanding of the origin of our Moon, the Voyagers gave us a wealth of data on the outer planets and continue to give us exciting observations from deep space, Spirit and Opportunity showed us evidence of liquid water on Mars, increasing the probability that there is life to be found there, but now the manned program is all but grounded, the Webb telescope was nearly killed, and NASA doesn't even know what long-term direction it will or even can take.

Tomorrow will be a day of memories and a day of tears. At 16:17 EDT, I will raise a toast to Armstrong, Collins, and Aldrin, to the ground crews, and to all who contributed to the what might be the greatest technological achievement of the last century.

And I will cry.

"I like theories you can test."
-- Sheldon Glashow

When in doubt, eat chocolate.
If doubt persists, have a hot fudge sundae.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like dclarion's post
19-07-2013, 09:26 PM
RE: A Day of Memories
(19-07-2013 09:15 PM)dclarion Wrote:  It may be a bit early, but I've changed my avatar to depict the most wonderful birthday gift any 12-year-old could have received. The 12-year-old in question was me.

It saddens me to see what a joke the US space program has become. Apollo gave us an understanding of the origin of our Moon, the Voyagers gave us a wealth of data on the outer planets and continue to give us exciting observations from deep space, Spirit and Opportunity showed us evidence of liquid water on Mars, increasing the probability that there is life to be found there, but now the manned program is all but grounded, the Webb telescope was nearly killed, and NASA doesn't even know what long-term direction it will or even can take.

Tomorrow will be a day of memories and a day of tears. At 16:17 EDT, I will raise a toast to Armstrong, Collins, and Aldrin, to the ground crews, and to all who contributed to the what might be the greatest technological achievement of the last century.

And I will cry.

I will be wearing one of these tomorrow:

[Image: omega_speedmaster_professional_%2527moon..._0496a.JPG][Image: speedprowg4.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
19-07-2013, 09:37 PM
RE: A Day of Memories
(19-07-2013 09:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-07-2013 09:15 PM)dclarion Wrote:  It may be a bit early, but I've changed my avatar to depict the most wonderful birthday gift any 12-year-old could have received. The 12-year-old in question was me.

And I will cry.

I will be wearing one of these tomorrow:

[Image: omega_speedmaster_professional_%2527moon..._0496a.JPG][Image: speedprowg4.jpg]

I remember the Omega watches, and the Hasselblad cameras.

I also remember John Young and his Tang-induced farts, but that was another mission Tongue

"I like theories you can test."
-- Sheldon Glashow

When in doubt, eat chocolate.
If doubt persists, have a hot fudge sundae.
[+] 1 user Likes dclarion's post