A Different Approach

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2012, 01:56 PM
RE: A Different Approach
(08-08-2012 12:19 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, fst.

Quote:This is relativism at it's best.

Why thank you. Flatterer Cool

Hey, Chas.

Firstly, you need to let go of this notion that you either attack them or they win. That's silly. I'm suggesting a change in strategy, not giving up. There's a HUGE difference.

The extremists can't take everything over without their power base. The reason they can hold on to their membership right now is because of the threat they are milking for all its worth. Robbing them of that is like robbing them of air.

I'm not Jesus. I can't lead anyone to the promise land. I'm just suggesting a new approach. What people do with that is up to their own creativity.

My primary suggestion though is just focus on your thing. Build.

People have to remember, cultures are in competition with each other just like species are in competition with each other. Ideas will ALWAYS be in competition with each other. If someone is looking to eradicate creationism, good luck with that. If someone is expecting to always come out on top every minute of every day, good luck with that. There's no eradicating creationism and there's certainly no eradicating extremists. All you can do is make it hard for extremists to recruit and easy for moderate creationists to access your ideas and/or live along side you. Do that, and the pressure comes off of YOU. Attacking makes it easy for them to recruit and make your life miserable, so if that's what you want, then by all means, press the assault. But it's not what people want. People want the extremists to go away. So do what works rather than what you're used to.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

I was hoping to hear some practical suggestions.Sad

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-08-2012, 01:58 PM
(08-08-2012 12:21 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'm just shocked to learn you're a Dawkinsian. Shocking

I think the correct term is "Dawkinista".

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Hey, Chas.

What, do you think the world was made in six days or something?

Cool

Matt
Find all posts by this user
08-08-2012, 02:19 PM
(08-08-2012 02:00 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Chas.

Cool

Matt

Well, I'll carry on until I can think of something better to do.

Hold until relieved.

08-08-2012, 02:20 PM
(08-08-2012 02:00 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Chas.

Cool

Matt

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
08-08-2012, 03:19 PM
(08-08-2012 01:42 PM)Ghost Wrote:  1 - Do you want extremist creationists all up in your grill?

Yes I do. Is your intention with all this just to avoid conflict? I prefer the fierce arguer to the person who shuts down.
[+] 1 user Likes Jeff's post
08-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Matt, I know what collapse means, I know what punctuated equilibrium means... I requested you to strip it down for clarity, but all you did was further broaden your examples to include the entire biosphere and the entire transportation infrastructure of the planet. Whoopee.

All the more reason to simply not give a shit.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
08-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Hey, Jeff.

Conflict is unavoidable. So no. If you enjoy fighting for the sake of fighting, then what I am suggesting probably isn't for you. The mechanics still apply though.

Hey, Kim.

I don't appreciate that kind of response, so I'm moving on.
08-08-2012, 04:13 PM
(08-08-2012 03:56 PM)Ghost Wrote:  If you enjoy fighting for the sake of fighting, then what I am suggesting probably isn't for you.

No, it's for the sake of a breakthrough in understanding. But you're right that this isn't for me. From what I've read, memetics is particularly ill-suited to examining the truth of an idea, which is what interests me. If memetics is about the competition of ideas for a share of mind, then conspiracy theories, urban legends and religious twaddle would be considered among the most successful memes.
08-08-2012, 04:15 PM
(08-08-2012 01:42 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Kim.
I don't appreciate that kind of response, so I'm moving on.

Rolleyes

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein