A Different Wind is Blowing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2013, 10:29 AM
RE: A Different Wind is Blowing
Your issues are within yourself Edward... not the material world.

Make peace within yourself and the rest fits into place.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2013, 10:45 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2013 10:53 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(30-04-2013 11:11 PM)Egor Wrote:  We don't have the first clue what dreams are or why. We don't have a clue what the mind is or where it comes from.

Actually they know quite a lot. As usual Gordon has no clue about what he's pretending to be an expert on. It's a part of the Dunning-Krueger syndrome, from which he suffers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%...ger_effect
As usual, Gordon generalizes ONLY from what HE knows, not what *they* know. He's very out of touch with the general state of Neuro-cognitive research, obviously.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
01-05-2013, 10:47 AM
(01-05-2013 12:05 AM)Egor Wrote:  LJ, if you want to have a conversation, you're going to have to drop the "Why don't you get help" crap. Okay? It's ridiculous and insulting to me. My life is not easy, but it's working for now--for now--and I'm functioning at a very high level in it. I'm an intelligent, creative, religious person. So, this is what I do with my free time. Cool?

Oh my. This is exactly, word for word, what a good friend would say anytime they went off their medications.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
01-05-2013, 10:56 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2013 01:48 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(01-05-2013 10:47 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(01-05-2013 12:05 AM)Egor Wrote:  LJ, if you want to have a conversation, you're going to have to drop the "Why don't you get help" crap. Okay? It's ridiculous and insulting to me. My life is not easy, but it's working for now--for now--and I'm functioning at a very high level in it. I'm an intelligent, creative, religious person. So, this is what I do with my free time. Cool?

Oh my. This is exactly, word for word, what a good friend would say anytime they went off their medications.

Now THAT is seriously hilarious. Now he's complaining about being insulted, and wishing to set criteria for civility. Really ? Seriously, THIS GUY ? This is the very SAME dude who last week was saying he was going to destroy atheists, and the only reason they were atheists is because they want/need to sin. He is THE LAST person who should be saying anything about "insults" He is the GRAND MASTER of insults. Now he's complaining about insults. Jebus taught him to be good at insults, apparently. He's so fucking "Christ-like" I can't stand it. Weeping He thinks "very high-fuctioning" is insults and pre-judging everyone. What a sad little man. He has some sort of labile personality disorder. One day he's a believer. The next he's not. Then he is again. Then he's starting a church, and won't be back until Easter. The next day he's back. Then he demands a final solution. Then a new wind blows. The guy changes personalities with the diection of the wind. He has no clue who he really is. He's unstable. The only stable thing is the need for attention.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
01-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Just for the record, I have my B.A. in Psychology, a M.Div. with a counseling emphasis, completed two years of full-time coursework for a Master's in Psychology and just two months ago was accepted into the MSW program at UW. I guess you could say I know a couple things about psychology and brain physiology. Drinking Beverage

Oh, and I'm not a doctor, but I've played one on TV. Big Grin

"Pre-cognitive" dreams and astrology charts are perfect examples of cognitive bias. If you haven't looked at cognitive bias before, you might enjoy reading up on it. Simply put, we humans are very good at picking out and interpreting patterns. We had to be to survive on the prehistoric savannahs. The wind blows the tall grass and our ancestors assumed it was a predator. If they were right, the they could fight or run. If they were wrong, no harm done and the matter would be forgotten about until the next time the wind moved the grass. Modern humans still select according to bias. We remember the things that feel meaningful to us and forget everything else. How many millions of dreams have you had that you had no precognition with? Millions. How many do you believe were precognitive? 2? 3? That's not much of a case, and instead supports the idea that we see what we want to see. I dreamt that the brakes failed on my car. Was this a prediction? No. The brakes were bad on my car and I was waiting for payday to get them fixed.

Astrology? Same thing. We hear what we want to hear. "You're going to meet a stranger today." Wow! I did meet a stranger. Probably because I work in customer service. Drinking Beverage
I present you with a challenge: make up a mock chart for yourself adding 6 months to your birthdate. Forget all the descriptions from your "actual" chart. I'd be willing to make a small wager that you'll find the mock chart will describe you perfectly! We see what we want to see.

Final thought about astrology: The bible calls those who practice it, an abomination, so if I'm wrong and you're right, you're gonna be in huge trouble with The Big Guy. Laughat

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 6 users Like Erxomai's post
01-05-2013, 01:47 PM
(01-05-2013 10:47 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

Yep and there's the selective amnesia, "I was never like that." or "I never said that." - behavioral attributes of any number of bipolar and/or hypomania disorders, as are vivid dreams etc.,.

I have a couple of friends just like this also; I love the shit out of them but they are a total pain in the ass when it comes to their health. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
01-05-2013, 02:22 PM
(01-05-2013 01:11 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Just for the record, I have my B.A. in Psychology, a M.Div. with a counseling emphasis, completed two years of full-time coursework for a Master's in Psychology and just two months ago was accepted into the MSW program at UW. I guess you could say I know a couple things about psychology and brain physiology. Drinking Beverage

Oh, and I'm not a doctor, but I've played one on TV. Big Grin

"Pre-cognitive" dreams and astrology charts are perfect examples of cognitive bias. If you haven't looked at cognitive bias before, you might enjoy reading up on it. Simply put, we humans are very good at picking out and interpreting patterns. We had to be to survive on the prehistoric savannahs. The wind blows the tall grass and our ancestors assumed it was a predator. If they were right, the they could fight or run. If they were wrong, no harm done and the matter would be forgotten about until the next time the wind moved the grass. Modern humans still select according to bias. We remember the things that feel meaningful to us and forget everything else. How many millions of dreams have you had that you had no precognition with? Millions. How many do you believe were precognitive? 2? 3? That's not much of a case, and instead supports the idea that we see what we want to see. I dreamt that the brakes failed on my car. Was this a prediction? No. The brakes were bad on my car and I was waiting for payday to get them fixed.

Astrology? Same thing. We hear what we want to hear. "You're going to meet a stranger today." Wow! I did meet a stranger. Probably because I work in customer service. Drinking Beverage
I present you with a challenge: make up a mock chart for yourself adding 6 months to your birthdate. Forget all the descriptions from your "actual" chart. I'd be willing to make a small wager that you'll find the mock chart will describe you perfectly! We see what we want to see.

Final thought about astrology: The bible calls those who practice it, an abomination, so if I'm wrong and you're right, you're gonna be in huge trouble with The Big Guy. Laughat

In my early 20s I was totally into astrology! I did charts for myself and all my friends, I voraciously read anything I could get my hands on. Then I did a friend's chart and somehow, I screwed up her birthday. The houses begin with the ascendant, so since it was wrong her chart was rubbish.

When I next saw her, she gleefully told me I was right on. It was all totally true! I never shared with her that I messed up -- why spoil that happiness. I never gave her the right chart. I conjured up a knowing smile.

Another onion was peeled and it bugged me because it was fun.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
01-05-2013, 02:31 PM
At first I thought he was saying the wind was blowing his sails in a different direction, and that he was coming out of the closet. Not that he was pronouncing his prideful ignorance.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
01-05-2013, 03:47 PM

(01-05-2013 01:11 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Just for the record, I have my B.A. in Psychology, a M.Div. with a counseling emphasis, completed two years of full-time coursework for a Master's in Psychology and just two months ago was accepted into the MSW program at UW. I guess you could say I know a couple things about psychology and brain physiology. Drinking Beverage

Great. Do you have a point?

Quote:I dreamt that the brakes failed on my car. Was this a prediction? No. The brakes were bad on my car and I was waiting for payday to get them fixed.

That's not a precognitive dream then, is it? And as for confirmation bias: You're right, it could be--but then it might not be.

Quote:Astrology? Same thing. We hear what we want to hear. "You're going to meet a stranger today." Wow! I did meet a stranger. Probably because I work in customer service. Drinking Beverage

That's what a soft masters degree gets you? That's what you think I think synchronicity is? Surely you know the term for this, there has to be one, when you oversimplify something in order to shoot it down. Whatever that's called, that's what you're doing. I'm not asking you to believe in astrology. You can believe whatever you want.

Quote:I present you with a challenge: make up a mock chart for yourself adding 6 months to your birthdate. Forget all the descriptions from your "actual" chart. I'd be willing to make a small wager that you'll find the mock chart will describe you perfectly! We see what we want to see.

There's a way of calculating houses. I have used several different methods, which end up doing what you say. The only one that really fits is the one I use, the Placidean method, which is the method I use for all of them. But astrology is just a tool for the psychic arts. I don't think it's a science.

When I interpret a dream and then apply the transiting planets at the time of the dream to the natal chart of the dreamer, I get a way of helping me decide what the symbols in the dream mean, especially when they could mean different things. I have had great success with that.

I don't really like using astrology on its own to predict the future, because the alignment of the planets and stars serve only as an indicator of the fatalistic winds that are blowing on us. But we're driving the sailboat. We have the rudder and the mainsheet on our hands.

Quote:Final thought about astrology: The bible calls those who practice it, an abomination, so if I'm wrong and you're right, you're gonna be in huge trouble with The Big Guy. Laughat

I don't care what the Bible says about it. And is that what your MSW and M.Div. get you? You still have to come online and mock people for their beliefs? What a great social worker you're going to make. What a difference tens of thousands of dollars of education can make. Dodgy
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2013, 03:53 PM
lol, he got you Ed and you just can't take it uh? Tongue

you're so full of fail

[Image: sigvacachica.png]