A Fallible God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2017, 12:08 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2017 12:31 PM by unfogged.)
RE: A Fallible God
(11-01-2017 12:01 PM)Cypher44 Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 11:28 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Hey Cypher44.

My question is,

"Why must/should there be a deity?"

Thumbsup

You can read my thread on this but put it succinctly here..

Religions are amazing at indoctrination.. the idea of deity has become so ingrained in the reality of a lot of people that the idea itself gives structure to their lives.

That is not an answer to the question "Why must there be a deity?". The first sentence is an answer to "Why do people believe there is a deity?" and the second is an answer to "What benefit to people get from believing there is a deity?". Neither addresses the actual question of existence or any actual need for to be such an entity. Even if I agreed that people need structure in their lives it doesn't mean that a deity is the only way they can have that.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
11-01-2017, 12:13 PM
(11-01-2017 12:07 PM)Cypher44 Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 12:58 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Omnibenevolent god? What about flood? I would say genocide hardly speaks of benevolence.

Having given myself more time to think.

I think people see God how they wish to
If they want to see a God whose loving, caring and powerful, they will

Obviously. I just wonder how people can claim that god is benevolent after reading the Bible. I also wonder the same in regard to you. You think that god is omnibenevolent cause that is how you want to see tribal deity described in fable book?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
11-01-2017, 12:25 PM
(11-01-2017 12:07 PM)Cypher44 Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 12:58 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Omnibenevolent god? What about flood? I would say genocide hardly speaks of benevolence.

Having given myself more time to think.

In which case what they "see" is what they want to see, not what actually IS.
11-01-2017, 12:33 PM
(11-01-2017 12:25 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 12:07 PM)Cypher44 Wrote:  Having given myself more time to think.

In which case what they "see" is what they want to see, not what actually IS.

yep.. I've got nothing else really

Oh no. He's here - God
11-01-2017, 12:38 PM
Cypher44,

You seem to be all over the place with your remarks. How about spelling out what your beliefs are regarding a god instead of so much speculating about what anybody in general might think or believe? Speculating is also fine, but it might make more sense if we had some context.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
11-01-2017, 12:42 PM
(11-01-2017 12:13 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 12:07 PM)Cypher44 Wrote:  Having given myself more time to think.

Obviously. I just wonder how people can claim that god is benevolent after reading the Bible. I also wonder the same in regard to you. You think that god is omnibenevolent cause that is how you want to see tribal deity described in fable book?

I think people continue to believe in God whatever they read because they have rationalised what God has done as for the greater good or as justice.

E.g. Noah's Ark. One might see a genocidal God, another might see God punishing the entirety of humanity for their sins.

Oh no. He's here - God
11-01-2017, 12:49 PM
(11-01-2017 12:42 PM)Cypher44 Wrote:  E.g. Noah's Ark. One might see a genocidal God, another might see God punishing the entirety of humanity for their sins.

What sins could the babies have committed?

Sins, I might add, that an omniscient god would have known about in advance.

Almost as if god wanted to drown an entire world...

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
11-01-2017, 12:50 PM
(11-01-2017 12:42 PM)Cypher44 Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 12:13 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Obviously. I just wonder how people can claim that god is benevolent after reading the Bible. I also wonder the same in regard to you. You think that god is omnibenevolent cause that is how you want to see tribal deity described in fable book?

I think people continue to believe in God whatever they read because they have rationalised what God has done as for the greater good or as justice.

Just like those on the left who thought that Soviet Union could do nothing wrong cause all that was done in name of Revolution was good by definition. Christians believing in god being benevolent are no less deluded that communists.

Quote:E.g. Noah's Ark. One might see a genocidal God, another might see God punishing the entirety of humanity for their sins.

And that punishment still was genocide. One must have very warped view of morality to even begin justify such deed, but there were people who though that Stalin actions leading to Holodomor were right thing to do so I'm not really shocked. No matter how reprehensible some deed is it will find supporters.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
11-01-2017, 12:58 PM
(11-01-2017 12:49 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 12:42 PM)Cypher44 Wrote:  E.g. Noah's Ark. One might see a genocidal God, another might see God punishing the entirety of humanity for their sins.

What sins could the babies have committed?

Sins, I might add, that an omniscient god would have known about in advance.

Almost as if god wanted to drown an entire world...

I concede the point because I'll happily say I can't argue against that

Oh no. He's here - God
12-01-2017, 12:50 PM
(10-01-2017 01:56 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Where exactly do Christians get this idea of an omni-benevolent G-d?

Actually I don't know.. I think early Christians might have had very different views on God.. but post-Constantine, they simply took all the best qualities they could find and stuck them together assimilating it into the idea of the God of classical theism

Oh no. He's here - God