A Fallible God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2017, 12:54 PM
RE: A Fallible God
(11-01-2017 12:49 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 12:42 PM)Cypher44 Wrote:  E.g. Noah's Ark. One might see a genocidal God, another might see God punishing the entirety of humanity for their sins.

What sins could the babies have committed?

Sins, I might add, that an omniscient god would have known about in advance.

Almost as if god wanted to drown an entire world...

God can be a real cunt sometimes.. as expressed in Exodus 20:5 - I the lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation..

Next question.. Why should one worship a God that practises generational punishment?

Oh no. He's here - God
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2017, 12:55 PM
(12-01-2017 12:54 PM)Cypher44 Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 12:49 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  What sins could the babies have committed?

Sins, I might add, that an omniscient god would have known about in advance.

Almost as if god wanted to drown an entire world...

God can be a real cunt sometimes.. as expressed in Exodus 20:5 - I the lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation..

Next question.. Why should one worship a God that practises generational punishment?

It is you who should answer that question.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
12-01-2017, 12:57 PM
(11-01-2017 12:08 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 12:01 PM)Cypher44 Wrote:  You can read my thread on this but put it succinctly here..

Religions are amazing at indoctrination.. the idea of deity has become so ingrained in the reality of a lot of people that the idea itself gives structure to their lives.

That is not an answer to the question "Why must there be a deity?". The first sentence is an answer to "Why do people believe there is a deity?" and the second is an answer to "What benefit to people get from believing there is a deity?". Neither addresses the actual question of existence or any actual need for to be such an entity. Even if I agreed that people need structure in their lives it doesn't mean that a deity is the only way they can have that.

Simply there is no reason for a god to exist.. That's the only answer I can give

Oh no. He's here - God
12-01-2017, 01:00 PM
(12-01-2017 12:57 PM)Cypher44 Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 12:08 PM)unfogged Wrote:  That is not an answer to the question "Why must there be a deity?". The first sentence is an answer to "Why do people believe there is a deity?" and the second is an answer to "What benefit to people get from believing there is a deity?". Neither addresses the actual question of existence or any actual need for to be such an entity. Even if I agreed that people need structure in their lives it doesn't mean that a deity is the only way they can have that.

Simply there is no reason for a god to exist.. That's the only answer I can give

No. There is no evidence for god existence. Reason on the other hand exists - wanting to have invisible friend who created world just for you is reason enough for some.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
12-01-2017, 01:08 PM
(12-01-2017 12:55 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 12:54 PM)Cypher44 Wrote:  God can be a real cunt sometimes.. as expressed in Exodus 20:5 - I the lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation..

It is you who should answer that question.

yes, but the problem, it is unclear whether God practises generational punishment because the is a verse (Ezekiel 18:20) which says, in essence, the son is not punished for the sins of the father, effectively saying that God doesn't practise generational punishment.

Y'know if the Bible didn't change its stance on matters so often.. Things would be easier for theists

Oh no. He's here - God
[+] 1 user Likes Cypher44's post
12-01-2017, 01:14 PM
(12-01-2017 01:08 PM)Cypher44 Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 12:55 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  It is you who should answer that question.

yes, but the problem, it is unclear whether God practises generational punishment because the is a verse (Ezekiel 18:20) which says, in essence, the son is not punished for the sins of the father, effectively saying that God doesn't practise generational punishment.

Y'know if the Bible didn't change its stance on matters so often.. Things would be easier for theists

The problem is that god depicted in Bible is a monster for whom even genocide isn't too terrible to not do it. Compared to that his Bolshevik-esque view on punishment is but a minor quibble.

So why you worship so monstrous god?

Mikhail Bakunin.
12-01-2017, 01:20 PM
(12-01-2017 01:14 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 01:08 PM)Cypher44 Wrote:  yes, but the problem, it is unclear whether God practises generational punishment because the is a verse (Ezekiel 18:20) which says, in essence, the son is not punished for the sins of the father, effectively saying that God doesn't practise generational punishment.

The problem is that god depicted in Bible is a monster for whom even genocide isn't too terrible to not do it. Compared to that his Bolshevik-esque view on punishment is but a minor quibble.

My parents did it.
I was raised in society full of Christians in South India
And yes.. I am happy.. why should I change?
I do not consult the Bible as a source of morality
I use reason instead

I pray to him so I have peace of mind.. That's it really.

Oh no. He's here - God
12-01-2017, 01:22 PM
(12-01-2017 01:20 PM)Cypher44 Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 01:14 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  The problem is that god depicted in Bible is a monster for whom even genocide isn't too terrible to not do it. Compared to that his Bolshevik-esque view on punishment is but a minor quibble.

My parents did it.
I use reason instead

I would be ashamed of myself were I to worship such monstrous being, but that's me. Other people have different standards I guess. It's not like everyone should value truth and knowledge after all.

Mikhail Bakunin.
12-01-2017, 01:27 PM
At work.

(12-01-2017 01:20 PM)Cypher44 Wrote:  My parents did it.
I use reason instead

Hug

Personally? I never found doing such gave myself any feelings back.

Your mileage obviously varies.

Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
12-01-2017, 01:33 PM
(12-01-2017 01:20 PM)Cypher44 Wrote:  I pray to him so I have peace of mind.. That's it really.

Meditation can be valuable. There's just no reason to think anybody is listening.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP