A Fallible God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2017, 10:56 AM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2017 11:01 AM by The Organic Chemist.)
RE: A Fallible God
(14-01-2017 01:57 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  One example given was that god knew that Pontius Pilate would wash his hands and god knew that Judas would betray Jesus for money.

However Moms, Luke says that Judas was satan's butt puppet. Kind of gets god off the hook.

Quote: Then Satan entered Judas, called Iscariot, one of the Twelve. Luke 22:3

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
15-01-2017, 11:06 AM
(10-01-2017 10:56 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 10:51 AM)Cypher44 Wrote:  My personal view shows God as being omnibenevolent and omniscient but NOT omnipotent..

Omnibenevolent?

Pediatric cancer.
Tsunamis, earthquakes and other natural disasters.
Famine.
Drought.
Influenza.

Omniscient?

Would have known these things would happen but created the universe anyway.

Such a being does not deserve worship, only contempt.

My wife (my Roman Catholic wife) texted me the other day that I missed some people at our house. I'm thinking... (since we live on a dead end street in the middle of the country) who would be banging on our door that we weren't prepared for? She texts back "JW"... and it took me a second. DAMN IT!!! I missed the witnesses... shit. I asked her what they had to say: and she told me they asked her how she / we felt about the struggles and strife, violence in the world today. Her reply, my RC wife's reply, was "Oh, you mean the struggles, violence and strife that your benevolent god permits to happen? That stuff? You need to talk to my husband... he'll let you know better." ... and bless her heart, she got their phone numbers for me. It is odd how all that negative stuff is completely overlooked ... the WatchTower they left is actually laughable.

"I never let my schooling interfere with my education."
Samuel Clemens

"The inspiration of the bible depends on the ignorance of the person who reads it."
Robert G. Ingersoll
[+] 2 users Like ReistLaxCoach's post
15-01-2017, 11:39 AM
(15-01-2017 10:56 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  ... Luke says that Judas was satan's butt puppet. Kind of gets god off the hook.

Well that is how the funhouse mirror world of fundamentalism works. If it's good, god gets credit. If it's bad, humans get the blame (either for actual sin or for "giving place to the devil", that is, creating a climate where the sin of others and the influence of the Evil One can flourish).

God has a great gig, doesn't he?
15-01-2017, 11:40 AM
(15-01-2017 11:06 AM)ReistLaxCoach Wrote:  Her reply, my RC wife's reply, was "Oh, you mean the struggles, violence and strife that your benevolent god permits to happen? That stuff? You need to talk to my husband... he'll let you know better." ... and bless her heart, she got their phone numbers for me.
Give 'em hell :-)
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
15-01-2017, 12:09 PM
(15-01-2017 10:56 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(14-01-2017 01:57 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  One example given was that god knew that Pontius Pilate would wash his hands and god knew that Judas would betray Jesus for money.

However Moms, Luke says that Judas was satan's butt puppet. Kind of gets god off the hook.

But god knew that Satan would do that. it was part of the plan so he was ok with it.

Or Satan is really god's foot soldier. Consider

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

15-01-2017, 09:00 PM
(15-01-2017 12:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 10:56 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  However Moms, Luke says that Judas was satan's butt puppet. Kind of gets god off the hook.

But god knew that Satan would do that. it was part of the plan so he was ok with it.

Or Satan is really god's foot soldier. Consider

Or satan is Yahweh's Grindr handle since it says he "entered Judas." Judas must have had the free will to swipe right.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac