A Few Questions For Christians

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2013, 11:46 AM
A Few Questions For Christians
Since Christians do threads asking atheists sets of questions, I figured an atheist should do the same for them for a change:

1. Are you a fundamentalist Christian? (In other words, do you believe that the Bible is 100% true because it is the word of an infallible god- things like the universe being only 6,000-10,000 years old, and stories like Adam and Eve and Noah's ark to be true historical events?)

2. If your god is an al-powerful, all-seeing, all-knowing, and infallible being, and all human suffering is related to man disobeying him when Adam and Eve ate an apple (a.k.a. Original sin), doesn't that mean that your god knew that original sin would be committed before it happened?

3. Why is it that your religion is right and all others are wrong?

4. If somebody is not a fundamentalist Christian, then how do they decide what to follow and what not to? (In other words, in the 4.5 billion years of the Earth 's existence, and the 200,000 years of modern man's existence, why did your god wait 198,000 years to send his son to earth? Why did Judaism, the predecessor for Christianity, not exist until a few thousand years ago, let alone Christianity? How does a Christian call the Bible the word of their god, then turn around and say, "well some of it is right, and some of it is wrong"? How do you use the Bible as being written by man as a defense without opening up the idea that the entire Bible is bullshit, and therefore Christianity is too?)

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
30-12-2013, 01:45 PM
RE: A Few Questions For Christians
(30-12-2013 11:46 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  Since Christians do threads asking atheists sets of questions, I figured an atheist should do the same for them for a change:
1. Are you a fundamentalist Christian? (In other words, do you believe that the Bible is 100% true because it is the word of an infallible god- things like the universe being only 6,000-10,000 years old, and stories like Adam and Eve and Noah's ark to be true historical events?)
I don't believe that Bible is 100% true. No Scripture is 100% true. No Scripture has this claim. Bible doesn't say how old earth is. I believe that Adam and Eve story is true and Noah's story is true.

(30-12-2013 11:46 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  2. If your god is an al-powerful, all-seeing, all-knowing, and infallible being, and all human suffering is related to man disobeying him when Adam and Eve ate an apple (a.k.a. Original sin), doesn't that mean that your god knew that original sin would be committed before it happened?
Of course He knew. It is part of His plan.

(30-12-2013 11:46 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  3. Why is it that your religion is right and all others are wrong?
I am not sure that terms "right" or "wrong" are the best terms but my religion has fullness of the Gospel.

(30-12-2013 11:46 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  4. If somebody is not a fundamentalist Christian, then how do they decide what to follow and what not to?
by the power of the Holy Ghost. He is the Witness of all truth.

(30-12-2013 11:46 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  (In other words, in the 4.5 billion years of the Earth 's existence, and the 200,000 years of modern man's existence, why did your god wait 198,000 years to send his son to earth?
He didn't give a revelation why He had to wait that long(it is possible that He waited even longer then that) but based on what God do reveals to us I can say that everybody and everything has to be ready for certain events. Everything happens IN ORDER. Our God is God of order and not God of chaos.

(30-12-2013 11:46 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  Why did Judaism, the predecessor for Christianity, not exist until a few thousand years ago, let alone Christianity?
I am not sure I understood you.

(30-12-2013 11:46 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  How does a Christian call the Bible the word of their god, then turn around and say, "well some of it is right, and some of it is wrong"?
I am not that kind of Christian.

(30-12-2013 11:46 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  How do you use the Bible as being written by man as a defense without opening up the idea that the entire Bible is bullshit, and therefore Christianity is too?)
Oh, anybody can have this idea. I am sure that there are plenty of good reasons to say that entire Bible is bs and therefore a Christianity. I totally can understand people who have this kind of idea.

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection
30-12-2013, 05:38 PM
(30-12-2013 11:46 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  1. Are you a fundamentalist Christian? (In other words, do you believe that the Bible is 100% true because it is the word of an infallible god- things like the universe being only 6,000-10,000 years old, and stories like Adam and Eve and Noah's ark to be true historical events?)
I prefer believer, but that is a distinction without a difference for many, so.... anyway, I do not know how old the universe or the earth are.
Yes, I believe that scripture is "given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work."

WindyCityJazz Wrote:2. If your god is an al-powerful, all-seeing, all-knowing, and infallible being, and all human suffering is related to man disobeying him when Adam and Eve ate an apple (a.k.a. Original sin), doesn't that mean that your god knew that original sin would be committed before it happened?
Yep.

WindyCityJazz Wrote:3. Why is it that your religion is right and all others are wrong?
I do not "know" if it is right, but I believe it to be.

WindyCityJazz Wrote:4. If somebody is not a fundamentalist Christian, then how do they decide what to follow and what not to? (In other words, in the 4.5 billion years of the Earth 's existence, and the 200,000 years of modern man's existence, why did your god wait 198,000 years to send his son to earth? Why did Judaism, the predecessor for Christianity, not exist until a few thousand years ago, let alone Christianity? How does a Christian call the Bible the word of their god, then turn around and say, "well some of it is right, and some of it is wrong"? How do you use the Bible as being written by man as a defense without opening up the idea that the entire Bible is bullshit, and therefore Christianity is too?)
I don't use the bible in defense of my faith. That's not what it is for.

"If you're going my way, I'll go with you."- Jim Croce
31-12-2013, 08:36 AM
(30-12-2013 11:46 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  1. Are you a fundamentalist Christian? (In other words, do you believe that the Bible is 100% true because it is the word of an infallible god- things like the universe being only 6,000-10,000 years old, and stories like Adam and Eve and Noah's ark to be true historical events?)

Far from it.

Quote:2. If your god is an al-powerful, all-seeing, all-knowing, and infallible being,

Yes

Quote:and all human suffering is related to man disobeying him when Adam and Eve ate an apple (a.k.a. Original sin), doesn't that mean that your god knew that original sin would be committed before it happened?

No. And yes it does.

Quote:3. Why is it that your religion is right and all others are wrong?

There is no "right" and "wrong". There is only elect and non-elect. The elect can vary from denomination to denomination.

Quote:4. If somebody is not a fundamentalist Christian, then how do they decide what to follow and what not to? (In other words, in the 4.5 billion years of the Earth 's existence, and the 200,000 years of modern man's existence, why did your god wait 198,000 years to send his son to earth? Why did Judaism, the predecessor for Christianity, not exist until a few thousand years ago, let alone Christianity? How does a Christian call the Bible the word of their god, then turn around and say, "well some of it is right, and some of it is wrong"? How do you use the Bible as being written by man as a defense without opening up the idea that the entire Bible is bullshit, and therefore Christianity is too?)

Rephrase your question without the loaded questions and snark, please. I mean, you don't have to, but you're the one asking this stuff, so I guess you're wanting an answer.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
31-12-2013, 09:16 AM
I personally don't mind snark.
Makes for a spicier stew.
Sleepy

[+] 4 users Like Kestrel's post
31-12-2013, 09:23 AM
(31-12-2013 09:16 AM)Kestrel Wrote:  I personally don't mind snark.
Makes for a spicier stew.
Sleepy

I usually don't either. But, I want to use this as a teaching experience. You get better, more honest answers if you ask a question with tact and respect. If you're not really looking for that, then snark it up.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
31-12-2013, 10:14 AM
(31-12-2013 09:23 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  You get better, more honest answers if you ask a question with tact and respect.
Meh. I answer honestly regardless of the tone of the inquiry.
But I take your meaning.Thumbsup

31-12-2013, 10:26 AM
(31-12-2013 10:14 AM)Kestrel Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 09:23 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  You get better, more honest answers if you ask a question with tact and respect.
Meh. I answer honestly regardless of the tone of the inquiry.

Me too. (See my Ask A Theist! thread)

Like I said, though... this is a learning experience. Most theists aren't like you and me. The usual run of the mill theist would be offended by that question and respond defensively... thus degrading the debate into a trolling/flaming match.

PS - Jazz, I didn't mean my comment as an insult or anything like that. I just wanted you to be aware how you came off and the usual results of such tone.

31-12-2013, 11:59 AM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2013 01:53 PM by WindyCityJazz.)
(31-12-2013 10:26 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 10:14 AM)Kestrel Wrote:  Meh. I answer honestly regardless of the tone of the inquiry.

Me too. (See my Ask A Theist! thread)

Like I said, though... this is a learning experience. Most theists aren't like you and me. The usual run of the mill theist would be offended by that question and respond defensively... thus degrading the debate into a trolling/flaming match.

PS - Jazz, I didn't mean my comment as an insult or anything like that. I just wanted you to be aware how you came off and the usual results of such tone.

No offense taken. I wasn't trying to be mean. I just wanted to ask some honest questions. Unlike threads where theists are asking ridiculous questions like "How do you atheists feel about cannibalism?" as some pathetic attempt to portray atheists as being evil, I was simply asking for honest explanations. Every question I asked was based on Christian beliefs. If I wanted to take the asshole route, I'd have asked questions like "How do you feel about people being murdered in the name of your god?"

The reason why I added those questions in number 4, is because the answers that I get from these questions constantly contradict themselves. I'm not one for cover-all explanations such as "That's just part of his plan, so we can't expect him to follow our morals" to be a very weak argument. It's similar to the "God of the gaps" argument, where people take things that do not yet have an explanation for and just say "God did it!"

If the holy ghost guides people in what to believe, then why are some fundamentalists and some not? Somewhere in there somebody is not being guided to the truth.

By asking why is Christianity right and other religions wrong, I'm not trying to be mean. If Christianity is right, then it's simply implied that other religions are wrong. If I went to a fruit market and only bought Apples, then I also didn't buy pears. If I tell you what I bought, then I don't have to tell you what I didn't buy. It's already implied.

31-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Also, don't think I'm taking the route of questioning your morality. I don't think that morality has anything to do religious beliefs (or lack of). No person is evil simply because they are a Christian, Buddhist, Muslim, Hindu, or atheist. There are certainly people who commit evil actions in the name of their beliefs, but I don't feel that it is fair to stereotype one group by the actions of the few. Being from Chicago, I'm from a city with a huge Catholic population, and I know many, many people who do not fit the stereotypes that all Catholics are constantly having the finger pointed at them for. Just because the Pope or church leaders make some ridiculous bullshit statement does not mean that all Catholics nod their head in agreement. In fact, very few here do. I don't think it's fair to stereotype all Catholics for the actions of the Pope, just as I don't think it's fair to stereotype all Americans for the actions of the United States government. Besides, the most racist part of our country, also known as The Bible Belt, is by far a protestant majority. It's pretty hypocritical to point the finger at Catholics as being the only ones that have racist members or people that act like they are superior to others. Hell, I know a restaurant owner from Greece, and don't even get him started on the kind of shit he's seen the Greek Orthodox Church pull.