A Few Questions For Christians

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2013, 03:21 PM
RE: A Few Questions For Christians
Windy, do you reject evolution? Have you not done the biblical math to arrive at an age of the earth and the universe? When saying the bible doesn't say how old the earth is, that's technically correct, but I believe that answer is intellectually dishonest. Do you accept the biblical math as the answer to the question?

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-12-2013, 04:22 PM
(31-12-2013 03:21 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Windy, do you reject evolution? Have you not done the biblical math to arrive at an age of the earth and the universe? When saying the bible doesn't say how old the earth is, that's technically correct, but I believe that answer is intellectually dishonest. Do you accept the biblical math as the answer to the question?

Of course I don't reject evolution. Where did you ever get that idea? From the number of generations that the Bible has listed, and when certain biblical figures were supposed to have lived, the Bible covers around a 6,000-10,000 year period. People like Richard Dawkins and other scientists have come up with approximately this number of years when tracing the roots of biblical claims. You seem to be accusing me of being a creationist, when I am obviously atheist. As for the age of the Earth and the species of modern man, scientists have come up with those amounts of time from studying carbon dating. I was asking my questions to Christians asking if they were fundamentalists or believed that scientific discoveries to be accurate.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
04-01-2014, 06:57 PM
I actually would have very different questions for Christians.

1) Do you believe that the universe would be impossible without god? That is, does the universe existing at all require the existence of god?

1.1) If yes, can you explain why the start of the universe requires something that is:
a) sentient
b) intelligent
c) omnipotent
d) omniscient
e) singular?
(obviously feel free to say any of those properties are not needed for the creation of the universe)

2) Do you think god is a good entity? Why?
(My objection is this: The only source we have for any information about god is, well, god, or god's minions (angels). Is there any way we can have any confidence in what god tells us? For instance, could the entity that inspired the bible actually just be a very powerful being but one that was not the creator of the universe, omniscient, etc? How would we know?)
04-01-2014, 07:41 PM
Quote:ALLA:
I don't believe that Bible is 100% true. No Scripture is 100% true. No Scripture has this claim. Bible doesn't say how old earth is. I believe that Adam and Eve story is true and Noah's story is true.

Quote:by the power of the Holy Ghost. He is the Witness of all truth.

Alla - what is your response when the information from the your Holy Ghost revelations does not match up with independent evidence gathered from our knowledge of the world around us ????

What if independent evidence showed the Noah story to be fabricated mythology without a shred of historicity - does that not contradict the holy ghost ????

Remember Jesus believed in the Noah story - is it possible Jesus was wrong about the Noach story based on copious amounts of geological & biological evidence we have today but Jesus (if existed) had no access to ???
Why did Jesus believe in the Noah story ????

Is there an independent way to validate the alleged truth of the messages given via the Holy Ghost other than your subjective feeling about it ?
04-01-2014, 07:44 PM
[quote]
(30-12-2013 11:46 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  Why did Judaism, the predecessor for Christianity, not exist until a few thousand years ago, let alone Christianity?

Takes a while for hunter gatherers to formulate the religions.
04-01-2014, 10:54 PM
(30-12-2013 11:46 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  Since Christians do threads asking atheists sets of questions, I figured an atheist should do the same for them for a change:

1. Are you a fundamentalist Christian? (In other words, do you believe that the Bible is 100% true because it is the word of an infallible god- things like the universe being only 6,000-10,000 years old, and stories like Adam and Eve and Noah's ark to be true historical events?)

No.

(30-12-2013 11:46 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  2. If your god is an al-powerful, all-seeing, all-knowing, and infallible being, and all human suffering is related to man disobeying him when Adam and Eve ate an apple (a.k.a. Original sin), doesn't that mean that your god knew that original sin would be committed before it happened?

I don't subscribe to original sin, but in the Latter-day Saint tradition, the fall of Adam was a necessary step in what is called the Plan of Salvation.

(30-12-2013 11:46 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  3. Why is it that your religion is right and all others are wrong?

That's not my position.

(30-12-2013 11:46 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  4. If somebody is not a fundamentalist Christian, then how do they decide what to follow and what not to? (In other words, in the 4.5 billion years of the Earth 's existence, and the 200,000 years of modern man's existence, why did your god wait 198,000 years to send his son to earth? Why did Judaism, the predecessor for Christianity, not exist until a few thousand years ago, let alone Christianity? How does a Christian call the Bible the word of their god, then turn around and say, "well some of it is right, and some of it is wrong"? How do you use the Bible as being written by man as a defense without opening up the idea that the entire Bible is bullshit, and therefore Christianity is too?)

That's a big stack of questions. I would say that everyone should follow the dictates of their own conscience.

My Blog
04-01-2014, 10:59 PM
You're one of those magic-underwear nutjobs. You aren't even a christian.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
04-01-2014, 11:09 PM
(04-01-2014 10:59 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  You're one of those magic-underwear nutjobs.

And you're one of those idiots that just regurgitates whatever rhetorical BS you've suckled from the swollen teat of pop culture dogmatism.

(04-01-2014 10:59 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  You aren't even a christian.

And coming from an ignorant, etic, and atagonistic point of view like yours, that means slightly less than jack.

My Blog
04-01-2014, 11:37 PM
Windy, my question was supposed to be for Alla, after the first response to your questions. I find it funny now looking at your response because of course you are an atheist, it was just a typo on my part. Sorry bud.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-01-2014, 07:37 AM
(31-12-2013 04:22 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  From the number of generations that the Bible has listed, and when certain biblical figures were supposed to have lived, the Bible covers around a 6,000-10,000 year period. People like Richard Dawkins and other scientists have come up with approximately this number of years when tracing the roots of biblical claims.

I hope you're not suggesting that Dawkins or anyone in the last hundred years was the first to put a 6000-10000 year age on the creationist world. It predates that by a lot (Archbishop James Ussher suggested it in the mid 1600s, for instance). HAS Dawkins every said he went through the bible and worked out what the bible suggests the age of the world is? Or another scientist in the last century? Seriously, I'm curious. Or do they just look around and find things like the Gallup poles which say some insane percentage (anything above 0) of Americans believe the world to be 10000 years old or less and go from there?