A Geek in Need of Advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2013, 10:57 AM
A Geek in Need of Advice
Okay. So. I always say I'm a geek. And I am, really. I like Star Wars and Doctor Who and Batman and comics and stuff. But...but...I've never seen Star Trek! Outside of the 2009 movie, that is, and I can't even remember that. So, I am a geek in need of advice. I wish to start Star Trek at some point; so, assuming that there are some nerdy Trekkies out there, tell me, where do I begin? What order do I watch the series in? Where do the films come in the chronology? Basically, for someone who has never seen Star Trek before, how do you get into it? Tell me, oh mighty Trekkies, if you're there. Bowing

"Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."

-Christoper Hitchens, "Letters to a Young Contrarian."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheAmazingAustralopithecus's post
15-04-2013, 11:30 AM
RE: A Geek in Need of Advice
I'm no trekkie, but I like the Next Generation Series. The orginal from what... the 60's, is pretty dull to me. You should also know that the movie tie ins follow a pattern. The first Star Trek movie was pretty dumb, but the second one was great, and so it goes on with every first movie being bad and every second good. Maybe the new series will escape the curse. I do really like Kirk, but Picard is the shit:

[Image: garbage-day-o.gif]
15-04-2013, 11:33 AM
I still wonder if the first movie didn't somehow signal the beginnings of the Borg.

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

15-04-2013, 11:51 AM
(15-04-2013 11:33 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I still wonder if the first movie didn't somehow signal the beginnings of the Borg.

I always thought it was a riff off ST:TOS Episode with Nomad. But what do I know?

OP, if you really want to go with a production Chronology...start with The Original Series, then The Animated Series, then Next Generation. If you want to start with a story chronology, start with Enterprise, but few people I know have been able to get through the whole thing.

If you want to start with better story-lines and somewhat better special effects, start with Next Generation.

Most of the movies take place between ST:TOS and ST:TNG but there's really not much lost or added by the movies.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
15-04-2013, 12:00 PM
I was in the same boat and decided to start off with The Next Generation. I have only seen season 1 and about half of season 2, but that is only because I no longer have internet at the house to stream netflix. I think starting there was a good idea since it is what I grew up with being on. So I get some of the references and I think I understand it better than had I started off with the original series.

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
15-04-2013, 12:05 PM
My recommendation would be to start with ST:TNG. Then go back and watch the original series, then watch the movies and THEN go on to DS9 and Voyager.

Avoid Enterprise at all cost.

Edit: Although now that Ive said that there are some things in the movies that arent addressed in TNG....so watch all the series first (except enterprise) and then move on to the movies.

The Out Crowd.
15-04-2013, 12:06 PM
Just watch Wrath of Khan.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
15-04-2013, 12:16 PM
There is only one true Trek, that is TOS.

All subsequent Trek sucks. Yes that includes those Spock == Jesus movies.

Not every Jewish superhero is God. Tongue

Nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is a very important science.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-04-2013, 12:34 PM
I suggest Stargate Universe. Can't go wrong with that. Wink

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-04-2013, 12:41 PM
(15-04-2013 12:34 PM)Near Wrote:  I suggest Stargate Universe. Can't go wrong with that. Wink

*points to the exit* Shocking

The Out Crowd.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post