A Geek in Need of Advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2013, 12:55 PM
RE: A Geek in Need of Advice
(15-04-2013 12:06 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Just watch Wrath of Khan.

But you'll need to watch the original series episode "Space Seed" first.

If time is even remotely a concern, watch TOS and TNG. Finish off with a movie marathon starting with ST II: The Wrath of Khan (ignore ST: The Motion Picture, most fans do), watch III & IV, then skip to ST: Generations, and First Contact.

That should cover you for a long while. If you have more time check out the other series starting with Voyager.

Love long and prosper.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Jeffasaurus's post
15-04-2013, 04:03 PM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2013 04:10 PM by Luminon.)
(15-04-2013 10:57 AM)TheAmazingAustralopithecus Wrote:  Okay. So. I always say I'm a geek. And I am, really. I like Star Wars and Doctor Who and Batman and comics and stuff. But...but...I've never seen Star Trek! Outside of the 2009 movie, that is, and I can't even remember that. So, I am a geek in need of advice. I wish to start Star Trek at some point; so, assuming that there are some nerdy Trekkies out there, tell me, where do I begin? What order do I watch the series in? Where do the films come in the chronology? Basically, for someone who has never seen Star Trek before, how do you get into it? Tell me, oh mighty Trekkies, if you're there. Bowing
I'd say I like Star Trek moderately. More than ordinary serials, but not as much as a fanatical Trekkie. I don't watch films that much anyway, this is as close as I get.

So, I watched the original Star Trek on TV. This is some archaic stuff for tough fans. Based mostly on Cpt. Kirk outsmarting the enemy.

The New Generation with Patrick Steward (Picard!) still feels *a little* archaic with settings and a bit corny Kirkish scenarios in the beginning, but after you get over the first few parts and Picard gets the ball rolling, it is quite enjoyable. I'd say he's a great hero of humanism and ethics, where Kirk was just a cunning gorilla compared to him. Really, some Picard's speeches entered history and Youtube.

I'll skip over to the Voyager. This used to be the most modern one and I think the generally best serial from the ST settings. The "quality" of visual effects does play a role with me. Cpt Janeway and the Voyager. This kept me waking up at 5 AM and going to watch TV when I was a kid.
I don't say ST: Voyager doesn't have any weak plots or silly science or weak parts. It has, but just about the beginning. The further it gets, the better it is and as I said, it's my favorite by far. The character cast is overall the best IMO and the ending is spectacular.

Then there is the Enterprise series. It is the most modern and timed to the beginnings of Earth space program, so it's "low tech". I find it weird. Don't get me wrong, it's a great serial. But the scenario is very... extremely predictable. Not that it isn't good or whatever, but it's so predictable that it should be called archetypal! It's as surprising as the "boy meets girl" plot. So you can actually take your attention off the plot and enjoy the actors, who are quite good I think. Effects are good too, the science nuff said... this is not a sci-fi anymore... I don't know what to think, but I watched it all and remembered nothing. I don't have a taste for movies, so I don't get very disgusted or overjoyed, so you might want to avoid this one.

Just to get this complete, I also watch the Deep Space Nine, which goes just after the New Generation (Picard). Not bad, but not sci-fi again! The story isn't that predictable, but I see it's more about the characters and they're rather archetypal again and not weird enough. It's again this politics, relationships, feelings, traditions, religions and other character stuff.

Star Trek series were always excellent in portraying characters that are weird, unnatural, incomplete or broken in some way. This is one of things I love about it. This is one of the deepest aspects of that whole thing.
The very best examples are Cmd. Data from TNG and the amazing Seven of Nine from Voyager. The serial doesn't start properly until she joins in and she does so in big style. This is what I resent about everything else, most of other characters are just too... normal. Everyman, everywoman, everyday people. Even if they're not normal (Vulcan weirdoes), they're normal enough to go through standard emotional crises.
Unlike the android Data for example, who does not have feelings to begin with.
I am sure half of Silicon Valley can identify with that.

I say, just start watching ST: Voyager and don't stop no matter what until Seven of Nine shows up. Thumbsup

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
15-04-2013, 04:19 PM
(15-04-2013 04:03 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 10:57 AM)TheAmazingAustralopithecus Wrote:  Okay. So. I always say I'm a geek. And I am, really. I like Star Wars and Doctor Who and Batman and comics and stuff. But...but...I've never seen Star Trek! Outside of the 2009 movie, that is, and I can't even remember that. So, I am a geek in need of advice. I wish to start Star Trek at some point; so, assuming that there are some nerdy Trekkies out there, tell me, where do I begin? What order do I watch the series in? Where do the films come in the chronology? Basically, for someone who has never seen Star Trek before, how do you get into it? Tell me, oh mighty Trekkies, if you're there. Bowing
I'd say I like Star Trek moderately. More than ordinary serials, but not as much as a fanatical Trekkie. I don't watch films that much anyway, this is as close as I get.

So, I watched the original Star Trek on TV. This is some archaic stuff for tough fans. Based mostly on Cpt. Kirk outsmarting the enemy.

The New Generation with Patrick Steward (Picard!) still feels *a little* archaic with settings and a bit corny Kirkish scenarios in the beginning, but after you get over the first few parts and Picard gets the ball rolling, it is quite enjoyable. I'd say he's a great hero of humanism and ethics, where Kirk was just a cunning gorilla compared to him. Really, some Picard's speeches entered history and Youtube.

I'll skip over to the Voyager. This used to be the most modern one and I think the generally best serial from the ST settings. The "quality" of visual effects does play a role with me. Cpt Janeway and the Voyager. This kept me waking up at 5 AM and going to watch TV when I was a kid.
I don't say ST: Voyager doesn't have any weak plots or silly science or weak parts. It has, but just about the beginning. The further it gets, the better it is and as I said, it's my favorite by far. The character cast is overall the best IMO and the ending is spectacular.

Then there is the Enterprise series. It is the most modern and timed to the beginnings of Earth space program, so it's "low tech". I find it weird. Don't get me wrong, it's a great serial. But the scenario is very... extremely predictable. Not that it isn't good or whatever, but it's so predictable that it should be called archetypal! It's as surprising as the "boy meets girl" plot. So you can actually take your attention off the plot and enjoy the actors, who are quite good I think. Effects are good too, the science nuff said... this is not a sci-fi anymore... I don't know what to think, but I watched it all and remembered nothing. I don't have a taste for movies, so I don't get very disgusted or overjoyed, so you might want to avoid this one.

Just to get this complete, I also watch the Deep Space Nine, which goes just after the New Generation (Picard). Not bad, but not sci-fi again! The story isn't that predictable, but I see it's more about the characters and they're rather archetypal again and not weird enough. It's again this politics, relationships, feelings, traditions, religions and other character stuff.

Star Trek series were always excellent in portraying characters that are weird, unnatural, incomplete or broken in some way. This is one of things I love about it. This is one of the deepest aspects of that whole thing.
The very best examples are Cmd. Data from TNG and the amazing Seven of Nine from Voyager. The serial doesn't start properly until she joins in and she does so in big style. This is what I resent about everything else, most of other characters are just too... normal. Everyman, everywoman, everyday people. Even if they're not normal (Vulcan weirdoes), they're normal enough to go through standard emotional crises.
Unlike the android Data for example, who does not have feelings to begin with.
I am sure half of Silicon Valley can identify with that.

I say, just start watching ST: Voyager and don't stop no matter what until Seven of Nine shows up. Thumbsup

Better yet, just start watching ST:Voyager at the point were Seven of Nine shows up!!! Drooling

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
15-04-2013, 05:31 PM
Wow. Much more advice than I anticipated...thanks xD.

But now I'm even more confused! Haha. I'll just have to look through it all carefully and see what I think.

And actually, I saw a snippet of an episode today about Data meeting his creator Tongue. Looked intriguing but I only saw a little Sad.

And thanks again for taking the time to reply Smile.

"Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."

-Christoper Hitchens, "Letters to a Young Contrarian."