A Good Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2013, 03:25 PM
RE: A Good Christian
(22-03-2013 01:34 AM)Shawc27 Wrote:  Is there any such thing in all of your eyes?

I believe in a God, have read the Bible a few times, I go to church, I understand other religions and have accepted Christianity, I believe in an afterlife, believe that Jesus was the Messiah, I am acceptant that not all of you can believe, but I know you will eventually, I give back to the community and I believe in prayer.

So what's wrong with having a religion?

You come to an atheist forum and ask that!?

Shoo fly.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
22-03-2013, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2013 06:40 PM by DLJ.)
(22-03-2013 01:55 PM)CaffinatedPuppy Wrote:  Of coarse there are good christians! I am one, well, at least i hope so in the eyes of God. Why the hell am I on this website?? Because I love conversation, especially people who question the bible. I have no problem with atheists, or gays or such. I am not allowed to judge others (I do all the time) does that make me a bad christian in that regard? Anyway, I have found that most christian people are some of the ost generous, kindest people out there. bi have been given so uch from that community. I have a rich life full of wonderful friends-some who share the same beleif system-others who do not. Also, there are so many beleivers of God/Jesus who have their own personal beleif of what Christianity is. I really think that nobody fully understands who God is. I am glad to hear all of the respect in this debate, and these atheists on here are generally unbiased and ethical. I struggle with my beleif system, honetly. With having all the non sense type stories in the bible, how could you not. Does that make me a bad christian? I don't think so. I love having an open mind, and knowing the possibilty that the bible is all a mirage, and my God does not exist. Well, I do not love that thought, but it is definatly out there. Religious people that hurt others is the real problem here.

Difficult though that was to read (on a few levels; physically, empirically, syntactically etc.), I get the feeling that you are describing a cultural-christian or a tradition-christian i.e. one who identifies with (or is born into) a label (Jewish / American / Manchester Utd fan / whatever) as opposed to a doctrinal-christian who chooses their group after careful consideration of all options.

That's the same as saying that "people can be good" irrespective of the cultural circumstances. No disagreeing with that.

One could argue, however, that strict adherence to the letters of the laws and indeed the overall concepts of christianity as created by Paul and mandated by the early catholics and then re-calibrated by the protestants forms a mentality that is deeply immoral (servility, nihilism, sycophancy etc.)... therefore christians cannot be good.

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
22-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Hey guys!

Thanks a heap for all your responses, just want to say a few things

First of all, I do like the ontological argument, because of its definition of God. If God is the greatest thing possible then he must be necessary, like a square having four sides Smile

Second of all, I guess I do have a smug certainty about heaven, but then again, there are many atheists with a smug certainty of there being no heaven. You're approach to the whole religion thing is pretty cool, but I just prefer knowing there will be a heaven

Third, I'm sorry if Christians to seem do try and shove their faith down your throat, but that is our religion, to bring others to believe.

Lastly, why am I here? To question my faith. Is that not a good thing?

Thanks Smile
22-03-2013, 08:31 PM
(22-03-2013 07:20 PM)Shawc27 Wrote:  ...
If God is the greatest thing possible then he must be necessary, like a square having four sides Smile
Lastly, why am I here? To question my faith. Is that not a good thing?

No sweat, dude, it's a good thing.

Just curious... which side of the square is the greatest possible side?

Consider

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
22-03-2013, 08:41 PM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2013 12:47 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(22-03-2013 04:51 AM)Shawc27 Wrote:  
(22-03-2013 04:06 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  re your #2, (ahem)...
You just actually made that up. You actually have no real evidence for anything of the sort. You have no clue what he, (if he even existed) actually thought about, or what his intentions were. He was, (if he existed), just one of many many of the wandering apocalyptic preachers running around at the time, doing magic and miracles, like all the others. You drank the cool-aide. You didn't really think you were going to come here and have anyone actually buy that crap did you ? BTW, the 4 gospels, (the ones of many many that made it into the canon), are not blasphemy. They are faith documents by believers to remind themsleves what they already believed. You do know I hope, there are "liberal" factions of Christian scholars who totally disagree with your fundie junk, including the fact that Jesus believed in eternal life. Why would St. Paul NOT believe in it. He didn't, I hope you know. Or are you just another fundie who has never actually studied scripture ?

No I have studied many scriptures, my point was, that WITHOUT eternal life, then the Gospels are blasphemous, also I think you should read the conclusion of John's Gospel, that may give you some insight.

No sir. I KNOW what you're trying to peddle here, unless you really are here to question your faith. Telling people who do not acceopt the authority of ANY scripture is just stupid. It ain't gonna fly. How much do you know about how and when, and by whom, the gospels were actually constructed ? In general , we know more about your cult than you do. The Ontological argument is bull for exactly the reason I stated. The fact that you can imagine somethine, does not make it real, AND we know from Heisenberg, Einstein and Dirac, that the universe is not "intuitive". Thus anything, without evidence, based ONLY on what appears to be "logical" to human brains, is suspect. How much Quantum Mechanics and Math have you taken ? A god's "existence" requires time. Can't have a god who NEEDS something. Have you ever considered taking Logic 101 ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
22-03-2013, 09:52 PM
1. Oxymoron, all sides are equal on a square Wink

2. Hahaha I'm not here to argue with you, I've done some studies of the scriptures and I like to think I know in what I believe. Yeh what you stated is true, but what what I think you've failed to grasp is what we are defining 'God' as. From there, with the possibility of a God, he must exist. But thanks anyway

Smile
22-03-2013, 10:19 PM
(22-03-2013 09:52 PM)Shawc27 Wrote:  Yeh what you stated is true, but what what I think you've failed to grasp is what we are defining 'God' as. From there, with the possibility of a God, he must exist.

Smile
Why?

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-03-2013, 10:22 PM
(22-03-2013 09:52 PM)Shawc27 Wrote:  1. Oxymoron, all sides are equal on a square Wink

2. Hahaha I'm not here to argue with you, I've done some studies of the scriptures and I like to think I know in what I believe. Yeh what you stated is true, but what what I think you've failed to grasp is what we are defining 'God' as. From there, with the possibility of a God, he must exist. But thanks anyway

Smile

Well if it were that simple, everyone would buy the load of crap, now wouldn't they ?
Knowing what you "think you believe" is irrelevant.
They don't.
It should tell you something.
You are here to troll.
Just like all the others.
You said you were here to question. You lied. Jebus doesn't like liars. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
22-03-2013, 10:31 PM
1. Just read the ontological argument

2. Alright mate, I've tried to have a conversation, but if you want to be such a cynic...
22-03-2013, 10:50 PM
(22-03-2013 10:31 PM)Shawc27 Wrote:  1. Just read the ontological argument

2. Alright mate, I've tried to have a conversation, but if you want to be such a cynic...
The ontological argument provides no reason or evidence. It's merely a statement of opinion. By asking why I wasn't asking to read a sentence over again. I was expecting that you might provide some explanation of the reasoning used to determine the conclusion in the argument and, perhaps, even provide some sort of evidence that would validate the thought process.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user