A Good Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2013, 12:16 AM
RE: A Good Christian
(23-03-2013 12:09 AM)Shawc27 Wrote:  
(23-03-2013 12:06 AM)Julius Wrote:  OK...then let's go one step further. Let us not believe any of it.

I figure, it's all God's will, or it's bunk, and there is no God.

Can you agree?

Julius

Hahaha

Yeh that's interesting I guess

For me I guess, it's not all or nothing with Christianity, some parts are, like believing in Jesus as the Messiah, but I can be a Christian and accept that the Earth isn't 6000 years old
I have got to go for the evening...morning, actually. But I would suggest that you just think about the things you have heard here, and try to figure our if they are more closely related to the truth, or not. Atheists, do not offer "Perfect Truth" only religion and Fairy Tales should do so. All Atheists say is that no one has proved that a God exists, so there is no reason to believe. It's that simple. And that Honest.

Julius
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Julius's post
23-03-2013, 01:25 AM
There may be a chicken in my house at this very moment. I don't own a chicken. Don't live near a farm. Yet, it's entirely within the realm of possibility that when I came home from work, I opened the door, walked inside, and a chicken came running in at my heels without me seeing or hearing or smelling it before I closed the door-- and now I am in the house with a chicken that I cannot detect.

Because there may be a chicken in my house, does that mean I should entertain this idea as feasible? Even if I saw a feather on my carpet, I would still think it far more likely that it hitched a ride with the mud on the tread of my shoes than there being a live chicken in my house.

REWIND. New scenario.

I come home from work, my phone rings. My next-door-neighbor says, "I think there's a chicken in my house."
I say, "Huh. That's funny. You saw a chicken in your house?"
"No," she replies, "but I know it's there. I can just feel it. All the people at work told me they all had chickens in their home that they couldn't see or smell or hear. I know it's here."

REWIND. New scenario.

I come home from work, there's a knock at the door.
"Good evening, sir. I'm a Jehovah's Witness. We've all agreed that there's a chicken in your house and we'd like you to take this Watchtower detailing our beliefs."
"Wow. So-- a chicken has been seen entering my domicile?"
"No, but it's here in this book."
"And just how many of you believe there's a chicken in my house?"
"About 6 million."

---

This is absurd. I agree. Really stupid and immature. But this is exactly how it sounds to me when people start using their god arguments.

We have a question. No clear answer. Must be God.

My computer reset. I didn't touch any buttons. Must be Satan.
I was feeling bad. Something good happened. Had to be God.

We're here. Existing is good. Something must be better than good. So, yeah-- God.

Huh?!

"The problem with faith is that it really is a conversation stopper. Faith is a declaration of immunity to the powers of conversation. It is a reason why you do not have to give reasons for what you believe." - Sam Harris
[+] 3 users Like SingingBear's post
23-03-2013, 02:28 AM
(22-03-2013 10:31 PM)Shawc27 Wrote:  1. Just read the ontological argument

Just read my first response in this thread: Why the Ontological Argument is useless

I've read the ontological argument. All of it. It's utterly useless.

You've been accused of peddling Christianity and of trolling and you've denied those accusations. You say you're here to question your faith. I challenged your argument but you ignored my challenge, no response, and just mindlessly parrot yourself by telling us to "just read the ontological argument".

That, by definition, is trolling.

If you want anyone here to take you seriously about questioning your faith, if you want us to believe that you're not trolling, then you need to actually respond to the challenging posts. You can't just respond to the easy ones and repeat yourself over and over, telling us the same things, while ignoring the posts that directly refute the very argument you're repeating.

So let's do it, let's question your faith - I've done my part and crushed the ontological argument, now you do your part and respond to that.

Or take your trolling somewhere else.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
23-03-2013, 02:42 AM
(23-03-2013 12:03 AM)Shawc27 Wrote:  
(22-03-2013 11:45 PM)Julius Wrote:  Then I guess there are parts of the Bible that you consider untrue....false? Please let me know. Seriously, I figured out that the so-called "Holy Ghost" was nothing but a self-delusion along time ago. But...according to the Bible, Denying the Holy Ghost is an unforgivable sin that results in everlasting pain and torment.

So...Please tell me.

Of course there is!!

Nobody can take EVERY thing written in the Bible literally!
Really?

Some Christians really do take it all literally, every word. I guess your viewpoint assumes that those Christians are wrong. Other Christians do what you do, ignore parts of the bible that they assume cannot be taken literally, but they ignore different parts than you do. I guess your viewpoint assumes those Christians are wrong too.

You can believe this: every one of those "wrong" Christians will tell you that they are right and you are wrong.

So who decides which parts of the bible to take literally?

You? Are you absolutely sure that your ability to discern bible literalness is better than every other Christian alive? If not you, then who? Your pastor? Are you absolutely sure that HIS ability to discern bible literalness and pass that discernment on to you is better than every other Christian alive? Because, I assure you, without fail, every one of those other "wrong" Christians believe that they are right and you, and your pastor, are wrong.

So my question is this: if God is omniscient, then he must be able to figure out that all his beloved Christians are picking and choosing which parts of his holy bible to believe and ignoring the rest, and he must be able to figure out that most of you are getting it wrong since you all clearly do not agree with each other - you cannot all be in disagreement and yet all be right. If God knows this, then how, in his infinite omniscient wisdom, can he not figure out a better way to spread the word and guarantee salvation?

I submit that, if this is the best your god can do, then he's really not as smart, not as omniscient, and not as omnipotent as you think - and if he isn't, then there is no reason for me to believe he created all this since he seems to lake the intelligence and/or the power to get it right. And if I can't believe he can do any of this, nor can he get it right, then what's the point in spending time and energy worshiping a god that
a. might not exist
b. didn't create the universe
c. didn't create me
and
d. can't get it right?

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
23-03-2013, 01:27 PM
(22-03-2013 01:34 AM)Shawc27 Wrote:  Is there any such thing in all of your eyes?

Sure, I know quite a few good Christians. KingsChosen here is one of them. But none of them are naive or childish enough to admit some bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of identity absent any tenable or even plausible mechanism of action. KingsChosen does admit an afterlife, but he can't say for sure that KingsChosen as he knows him will be any part of it, so he don't. That there's some seriously strong faith. Like Gwynnies strong. Could you hold onto your faith if the bullshit promise was removed? It's not The Word that's the problem, it's the bullshit promise that ain't found anywhere in The Word that's the problem. It's just juvenile and ridiculous. Not even sure where that bullshit even came from. But BallingBucky could probably shed some light on it.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
23-03-2013, 02:32 PM
A Good Christian
Nothing wrong with having a religion!

Just keep it to yourself and don't feel high and mighty because of it..... It's a personal choice to have religion or not, so don't try to push it on people.
[+] 1 user Likes Keifer's post
23-03-2013, 02:42 PM (This post was last modified: 24-03-2013 04:21 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(23-03-2013 01:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-03-2013 01:34 AM)Shawc27 Wrote:  Is there any such thing in all of your eyes?

Sure, I know quite a few good Christians. KingsChosen here is one of them. But none of them are naive or childish enough to admit some bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of identity absent any tenable or even plausible mechanism of action. KingsChosen does admit an afterlife, but he can't say for sure that KingsChosen as he knows him will be any part of it, so he don't. That there's some seriously strong faith. Like Gwynnies strong. Could you hold onto your faith if the bullshit promise was removed? It's not The Word that's the problem, it's the bullshit promise that ain't found anywhere in The Word that's the problem. It's just juvenile and ridiculous. Not even sure where that bullshit even came from. But BallingBucky could probably shed some light on it.

There are lots of good people. Some of the good ones also have strong personal belief systems. Some are Christians, some are free thinkers. Correleation is not causation. Good people do good things, and self-talk their way into self-justifying their actions, so they make some sort of sense to themselves. In\ know a lot of really good Christians, and a bunch of jerk believers. I have come to see the good ones would be just as good with or without religion.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
23-03-2013, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2013 03:17 PM by GirlyMan.)
(23-03-2013 02:42 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  There are lots of good people. Some of the good ones also have strong personal belief systems. Some are Christians, some are free thinkers. Correleation is not causation. Good people do good things, and self-talk their way into self-justifying their actions, so they make some sort of sense to themselves. Inknow a lot of really good Christians, and a bunch of jerk believers. I have come to see the good ones would be just as good with or without religion.

(22-03-2013 02:52 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Why would you believe in an afterlife when Jesus did not, and the Hebrews did not, and St. Paul did not for everyone ? Why is it Christians know nothing about the origins of their own cult ? Weeping

When was the bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of identity introduced, and by whom? ... Thanks Balling Brother. Thumbsup

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
24-03-2013, 12:12 PM
(22-03-2013 02:01 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  WTF puppy? You're a Christian? GTFO.
Okay. That post is really going to convince me. So what? I beleive this group/website/forum does not discriinate of of age, sex, religion, race, gender or sexual orientation. Sleepy

“You just go where your high-top sneakers sneak, and don't forget to use your head.”
24-03-2013, 12:17 PM
(24-03-2013 12:12 PM)CaffinatedPuppy Wrote:  
(22-03-2013 02:01 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  WTF puppy? You're a Christian? GTFO.
Okay. That post is really going to convince me. So what? I beleive this group/website/forum does not discriinate of of age, sex, religion, race, gender or sexual orientation. Sleepy
Nah. Post was snark. Tongue

Don't you know I'm full of it? Snark, I mean. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user