A Good Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2013, 12:31 PM
RE: A Good Christian
(24-03-2013 12:17 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I think I caught the sarcasm in that, but wasn't sure. I can't find a good website with good online conversation, (most friends on facebook are not to bright) and don't want to cause tension between family and friends. I can come on here, read, drink my coffee, and feel great for talking to different types of folk. It is hard to find a forum where the people seem educated enough to carry on an interesting convo. Blush
(24-03-2013 12:12 PM)CaffinatedPuppy Wrote:  Okay. That post is really going to convince me. So what? I beleive this group/website/forum does not discriinate of of age, sex, religion, race, gender or sexual orientation. Sleepy
Nah. Post was snark. Tongue

Don't you know I'm full of it? Snark, I mean. Thumbsup

“You just go where your high-top sneakers sneak, and don't forget to use your head.”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Yeah, you're all good, Puppy. Start throwing up wall of scripture, however, and words will be spoken... Evil_monster

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
24-03-2013, 04:26 PM
(23-03-2013 03:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-03-2013 02:42 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  There are lots of good people. Some of the good ones also have strong personal belief systems. Some are Christians, some are free thinkers. Correleation is not causation. Good people do good things, and self-talk their way into self-justifying their actions, so they make some sort of sense to themselves. Inknow a lot of really good Christians, and a bunch of jerk believers. I have come to see the good ones would be just as good with or without religion.

(22-03-2013 02:52 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Why would you believe in an afterlife when Jesus did not, and the Hebrews did not, and St. Paul did not for everyone ? Why is it Christians know nothing about the origins of their own cult ? Weeping

When was the bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of identity introduced, and by whom? ... Thanks Balling Brother. Thumbsup

It was a long process. The "immortal status", (similar to our "Babe Ruth is an 'immortal baseball player" type of meaning ) was first applied to some of the prophetic figures, and martyred heroes. I think I talked about it in the Maccabean part of the Resurrection thing.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...surrection

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Assistant Manager, Vice Detection, Whoville : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
24-03-2013, 04:58 PM
(24-03-2013 04:26 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(23-03-2013 03:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  When was the bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of identity introduced, and by whom? ... Thanks Balling Brother. Thumbsup

It was a long process. The "immortal status", (similar to our "Babe Ruth is an 'immortal baseball player" type of meaning ) was first applied to some of the prophetic figures, and martyred heroes. I think I talked about it in the Maccabean part of the Resurrection thing.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...surrection

Thanks Carbon60! Thumbsup

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
05-04-2013, 05:56 PM
(22-03-2013 01:55 PM)CaffinatedPuppy Wrote:  Of coarse there are good christians! I am one, well, at least i hope so in the eyes of God. Why the hell am I on this website?? Because I love conversation, especially people who question the bible.
I was sent to this post from a link that was posted in your most recent thread. I gotta say, I was surprised. But it was a pleasant "surprise." I had no idea that you were a Christian.

I guess it goes to show that people can't just judge someone based on their behavior. Many people don't know I'm an atheist, and I've even had people exclaim something along the lines of, "What?! You don't believe in god? I had no idea. You've always been so nice and caring." And another time, "You're too sweet to be an atheist!"

Again, many have no idea about my beliefs because I don't go flaunting them to the public on a regular basis. If a situation should arise where I needed to state my stance, I do it and I feel comfortable explaining it to them.

I enjoy being friends (a relationship is a whole different matter entirely, in my personal opinion!) with people who keep their beliefs to themselves for the most part and the ones who can just go on arguing about their favorite baseball team or the kind of musical genre differences with me and NOT bring up Jesus Smile

In summary, religion doesn't need to be on the forefront of someone's everyday life; Just live your life and have fun and don't ALWAYS judge others based on their beliefs. You may be pleasantly surprised to find that you've been enjoying the company of and sharing interests with someone who has the complete opposite beliefs than you do.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
05-04-2013, 06:02 PM
(22-03-2013 07:17 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Until recently, there was an HoC-shaped whole in my soul.

Sigh!

Once more complete.

Yes

I was beginning to feel he was sounding too sane lately. It does my heart good to see it's still not the case.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
05-04-2013, 06:06 PM
I count 1 troll and 2 sock puppets in this thread.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
07-04-2013, 10:15 PM
Hey I like you...Peanut. I am probably the worst Christian there is...right nw I am drinking wine and cursing at my kids. Okay not really, but I am drinking wine because I have 3 kids under the age of 5. I have friends of all beliefs. Nice to meet you....again.Smile

“You just go where your high-top sneakers sneak, and don't forget to use your head.”
[+] 1 user Likes CaffinatedPuppy's post
07-04-2013, 10:19 PM
(24-03-2013 12:33 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Yeah, you're all good, Puppy. Start throwing up wall of scripture, however, and words will be spoken... Evil_monster

Thumbsup

08-04-2013, 07:01 AM
Not believing in hell is probably a good start to being a good Christian as opposed to an immoral one. Are you happy to condemn the genocides ordered by God in the Bible also? Also, are you Australian perhaps?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.