A Good Purchase

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2014, 10:08 PM
A Good Purchase
A couple of weeks ago I went on a school trip to Orlando with my news class. While there, I couldn't take any pictures at all because the back camera of my iphone is screw up. I missed the opportunity to document my trip, and I realize how much of an inconvenience it was to not have a camera.

I'm not really into photography, but I've always thought DSLR's were pretty sick. Made a good deal of money cleaning out old department stores for my friend's mom who's starting a new fitness business, so I decided I'd browse for a used or refurbished camera.

Found this little baby, named him Ned:

Canon Rebel XS, used, like-new awesome condition, hardly any wear marks, $260. For new it would've cost about $650 at Best Buy (seriously one of the only electronic places around here), but that's including the lens, strap, interface cable, battery, and camera lens cover altogether. Good deal IMO.

[Image: IMG_8887.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like Ferdinand's post
18-04-2014, 10:20 PM
RE: A Good Purchase
Awesome! Good camera for a first to play around with. Play with aperture priority to start (Av) and you *might* be a little more into photography. Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
18-04-2014, 10:25 PM
You kids Dodgy

[Image: old_camera.jpg]

Simpler times Confused

Tongue

[+] 3 users Like TheGulegon's post
18-04-2014, 10:41 PM
Awesome deal Ferdi!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-04-2014, 11:10 PM
That's a solid little camera; a friend of mine has one.

But be careful starting down that road, Ferdinand. I've owned a few cameras and taken a few photography courses. So the reaction I get when taking a photo oscillates between exasperated and shocked.

Exasperated, because apparently taking the time (like, as much as 10 or 15 whole seconds, even) to compose, frame, focus, and light a photo is just so much wasted time. And shocked, because apparently it turns out that really does make for better photos.

(now, I almost had one once, 'cause this one time some broke students were hocking one at the bus station, but at the time I couldn't afford it either...)

... this is my signature!
18-04-2014, 11:21 PM
I don't know much about this kinda stuff, but it looks like a great photo. I think you got yourself a pretty nifty lil camera there Thumbsup Can't wait to see some good pics from ya!

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
18-04-2014, 11:37 PM
(18-04-2014 10:20 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Awesome! Good camera for a first to play around with. Play with aperture priority to start (Av) and you *might* be a little more into photography. Tongue

I think the next camera I'd want to invest in that I'd actually make into a hobby is a video camera. I'd really love to fool around with videography and sony vegas pro.
18-04-2014, 11:40 PM
I can see some white stains on your T-Shirt; naughty, naughty Ferdinand. Laugh out load

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
18-04-2014, 11:42 PM
(18-04-2014 11:40 PM)Vosur Wrote:  I can see some white stains on your T-Shirt; naughty, naughty Ferdinand. Laugh out load

THOSE ARE SMUDGES ON THE MIRROR Shy
18-04-2014, 11:44 PM
(18-04-2014 11:37 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(18-04-2014 10:20 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Awesome! Good camera for a first to play around with. Play with aperture priority to start (Av) and you *might* be a little more into photography. Tongue

I think the next camera I'd want to invest in that I'd actually make into a hobby is a video camera. I'd really love to fool around with videography and sony vegas pro.

I just started playing around with this myself, a whole other bag of chips for me (Sound!!! OMG! That's a challenge. Plus using a tripod for everything). It's a lot of fun! If you play around with your camera and get a handle on exposure (for creative intent) then move on to videography that'd be awesome! I can see you loving that.

Fun stuff!
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post