A Haunting on Discovery Channel

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2010, 06:30 PM
A Haunting on Discovery Channel
I am sure most of you, atleast living in the United States, have Discovery Channel. Earlier I was surprised at what was on it. Basically there is a show called, "A Haunting". In other words it is people that claim they have seen ghost in their homes, and retell the events on their own eye witness accounts. Personally I don't believe in ghost, but why would a scientific channel show something like this? This show belongs on the sci fi channel. Never will I believe in ghost. What are your all view points on this, and especially on ghost in general? I am wanting to change the subject from christianity for a thread, to something else spiritual.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2010, 06:38 PM

RE: A Haunting on Discovery Channel
omega21, the unfortunate truth is that science doesn't come across as incredibly exciting (it is to me, but I'm willing to bet not to the average person). In order to have viewership, Discovery has to show the 'crappy, superstitious' stuff once in a while for ratings, etc.

My feeling is that as long as Discovery maintains at least an 80% science-based programming, they can throw the crap in once in a while to 'stay afloat'.

As for where they SHOULD show these haunting shows, I think TLC has a timeslot if they ever get rid of Jon and Kate. Smile
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2010, 06:42 PM
(03-04-2010 06:30 PM)omega21 Wrote:  I am sure most of you, atleast living in the United States, have Discovery Channel. Earlier I was surprised at what was on it. Basically there is a show called, "A Haunting". In other words it is people that claim they have seen ghost in their homes, and retell the events on their own eye witness accounts. Personally I don't believe in ghost, but why would a scientific channel show something like this? This show belongs on the sci fi channel. Never will I believe in ghost. What are your all view points on this, and especially on ghost in general? I am wanting to change the subject from christianity for a thread, to something else spiritual.

We don't have souls, and that makes it hard for ghosts to exist. I've watched the show before, for kicks and to spook myself out every now and then. Honestly, that is nothing compared to the history channel, which sends several hours daily telling us how the tales of the bible played out. But you want to stay away from Christianity.

I find it somewhat insulting, but they are in it for the money, and oh how people love the ghost stories. I'd be more willing to watch if it wasn't presented as fact, but it's still entertaining. Some do give me the chills, and others are just plain funny. The spooky stories are exactly like a horror movie with a low budget.(Bleeding walls, demon possessions, ect...) The comic ones.... I was watching one the other night, and they talked about the moon being full for six straight weeks as a mother's farewell present to her daughter. Well I had a good laugh at that one. They talked as though the moon was a complete mystery. "Sometimes the moon is full two or three nights in a row, but six weeks? That's supernatural".

Anyway, I just try to enjoy the ride of idiocy.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
03-04-2010, 09:40 PM
(03-04-2010 06:30 PM)omega21 Wrote:  Personally I don't believe in ghost, but why would a scientific channel show something like this?

Ratings.
Also, Discovery isn't exactly scientific. It's slightly more scientific than most, with a tendency towards quality biology programming, but anything outside that field tends to be of a lower quality.

Quote:This show belongs on the sci fi channel.

NO.

Just... no. No more stupid shows on SyFy. Bring back four hours of Battlestar Galactica every day!

Quote:Never will I believe in ghost. What are your all view points on this, and especially on ghost in general? I am wanting to change the subject from christianity for a thread, to something else spiritual.

I don't believe in them. I spend a lot of time talking about them on another site, though (the lone skeptic on a paranormal forum), because I find the subject intensely interesting.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user