A Heads Up for Noobs and Lurkers Hesitant to Post

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2013, 12:02 AM
Exclamation A Heads Up for Noobs and Lurkers Hesitant to Post
I would just like to take a moment to let any new people here at TTA and those that lurk but haven't decided to post yet an important bit of information.

We get trolls here Evil_monster ...we get some hellfire and brimstone preaching theists as well as some who just troll forums for sport. Generally trolls will get put in their place pretty quickly by a combination of regular posters as well at the admins and mods here. The rules regarding banning are pretty liberal so unless someone is really bad, they will most likely be a pain for a while. Feel free to interact with them or put them on ignore. Just know it's all a part of being on a forum.

We also have Egor. Please note that Egor need not be taken seriously. He claims to be starting his own religion and bought himself a title (Reverend) off the Internet. He is frequently insulting, resorts to name-calling, and generally is a pain in the butt. In the last year he has flip-flopped from one set of beliefs to another to non-belief to a current recruiting phase for his new church/website/booksale, etc. There are times when he is actually decent, but those times are rare. Please don't look at the site, see an Egor rant, and decide we are all like him...we definitely are not. He is known to go after new people probably because he thinks they would be easiest to sway (read: bully). He knows the rules and treads right along the line so as not to be removed from here.

Don't let him scare you...I know he can be pretty brutal on anyone who is dealing with PTSD or other issues regarding their deconversion. If you have questions, please feel free to ask the admins or a mod or any friendly poster you feel comfortable talking to.

Look around...you are sure to find people you are comfortable talking to. It's a good group over all and we would like for you to have a true impression of what things are like around here so you can make your decision if this is the right place for you.

Join us... Thumbsup

Angie

Good leadership is so important. Dodgy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Anjele's post
17-02-2013, 12:45 AM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2013 12:49 AM by Free Thought.)
RE: A Heads Up for Noobs and Lurkers Hesitant to Post
(17-02-2013 12:02 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I would just like to take a moment to let any new people here at TTA and those that lurk but haven't decided to post yet an important bit of information.

We get trolls here Evil_monster ...we get some hellfire and brimstone preaching theists as well as some who just troll forums for sport. Generally trolls will get put in their place pretty quickly by a combination of regular posters as well at the admins and mods here. The rules regarding banning are pretty liberal so unless someone is really bad, they will most likely be a pain for a while. Feel free to interact with them or put them on ignore. Just know it's all a part of being on a forum.

We also have Egor. Please note that Egor can not and should not be taken seriously. He claims to be starting his own religion and bought himself a title (Reverend) off the Internet. He is frequently insulting, resorts to name-calling, and generally is a pain in the butt. In the last year he has flip-flopped from one set of beliefs to another to non-belief to a current recruiting phase for his new church/website/booksale, etc. There are times when he is actually decent, but those times are rare. Please don't look at the site, see an Egor rant, and decide we are all like him...we definitely are not. He is known to go after new people probably because he thinks they would be easiest to sway (read: bully). He knows the rules and treads right along the line so as not to be removed from here.

Don't let him scare you...I know he can be pretty brutal on anyone who is dealing with PTSD or other issues regarding their deconversion. If you have questions, please feel free to ask the admins or a mod or any friendly poster you feel comfortable talking to.

Look around...you are sure to find people you are comfortable talking to. It's a good group over all and we would like for you to have a true impression of what things are like around here so you can make your decision if this is the right place for you.

Join us... Thumbsup

Angie

I have taken the liberty of fixing the wording of your post.
Otherwise, it's good.

Remember friends, taking Egors seriously can be hazardous to your health. Should you take an Egor seriously, The TA Forums Commission of Drugs and Substance Abuse highly recommends immediate consultation with a trained physician.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
17-02-2013, 01:35 AM
Additionally....

If you are a theist who has reached a point of awareness of atheism that is beyond immediate dismissal i.e. you are here to hear / listen (well, read) to the opinions, thoughts, feelings and stories of many who have been where you are, please note the following...

1. You are welcome.
2. Take a little time to look at the threads and get a view of the characters and styles of the other members here.
You may notice that...
3. Theists who jump in with both feet (one foot is: telling atheists that they are wrong because... etc.; the other foot is: quoting verses of scripture) tend to get stomped on by many members' feet.
4. Theists who declare that they are open and willing to learn are usually treated more gently. Bear in mind, however, that not all members read every post you have written so an occasional reiteration of your position is advisable.
5. I'm sorry to say it but some of us will leap in at the end of the thread without reading earlier posts for context.
6. Like the other theists you know, not all atheists hold the same views as each other. Some express these views more vehemently than others, so pick you battles carefully.
7. Don't be shy about using the Private Message feature (by going to a member's profile page) if you don't want to express your views publicly.
8. We don't all bite.
9. Unless you enjoy that kinda thing.

Cheers.

[+] 8 users Like DLJ's post
20-02-2013, 09:24 PM
(17-02-2013 12:02 AM)Anjele Wrote:  We also have Egor.

It's Ego® Anjele, 'cause he's got a registered trademark on Ego. Big Grin

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
20-02-2013, 09:26 PM
I didn't know if the new people would understand.

I know it's Ego®.

Good leadership is so important. Dodgy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
20-02-2013, 09:28 PM
(20-02-2013 09:26 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I didn't know if the new people would understand.

I know it's Ego®.

They will now. Thumbsup

Breathing - it's more art than science.
20-02-2013, 09:42 PM
I have a problem. I want to start a new thread but I can't. There is no button for this. P.S. I am new here and due to my tight work schedule, I can't visit more than twice a week.
20-02-2013, 10:09 PM
(17-02-2013 12:02 AM)Anjele Wrote:  ...He is frequently insulting, resorts to name-calling, and generally is a pain in the butt...

Frequent insults and name calling? Here?

Unbelievable! Shocking
20-02-2013, 10:30 PM
(20-02-2013 10:09 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(17-02-2013 12:02 AM)Anjele Wrote:  ...He is frequently insulting, resorts to name-calling, and generally is a pain in the butt...

Unbelievable! Shocking
Shut up, you malodorous, toffee-nosed pervert ! Tongue
20-02-2013, 10:35 PM
(20-02-2013 10:09 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  

Unbelievable! Shocking
There are rooms for your type of ailment.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A thread for people who never post in any threads. Raptor Jesus 22 361 16-04-2014 09:10 PM
Last Post: Cephalotus
  Threaded Post Mode Tartarus Sauce 9 232 13-01-2014 10:01 AM
Last Post: Free Thought
  Post here and I'll Rep You. GirlyMan 52 1,018 25-12-2013 01:47 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan
  Can I post parts of threads from another forum? dancefortwo 5 204 28-09-2013 06:01 AM
Last Post: Chas
  Where do we post pictures? TwoCultSurvivor 9 328 16-07-2013 02:25 AM
Last Post: Filox
  The Thinking Atheist DOES NOT POST HERE Unbeliever 1 1,524 14-07-2013 05:41 PM
Last Post: Editor-TheThinkingAtheist
  Please remove my double post ghostexorcist 1 152 13-06-2013 10:22 PM
Last Post: DeepThought