A History of God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2012, 01:46 PM
A History of God

After you get past the fact that the narrator (Evid3nc3) talks like Christopher Walken, the Bible makes sooooo much more sense now. The many references to other gods and the link to polytheism. The "Yahweh is the Hebrew version of the Greek god Ares" bit explains his many many stories about war. And why the worshipers always went back to worshiping other gods had always baffled me, until you consider that the other gods were all equal, and represented better things than war.

And the next vid goes a little deeper, into how God is seen as "everything."

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like Buddy Christ's post
15-01-2012, 07:36 PM
RE: A History of God
5:30 in the first video, "depicted as the ultimate assholes..." That really made me laugh for some reason. xD

But in seriousness, more people need to see these kind of videos. Great post!
[+] 3 users Like Dynastes's post
15-01-2012, 08:07 PM
I agree, I've watched the first video a number of times in the past and thought it was very informative.
16-01-2012, 08:03 AM
Hey thanks for posting these Buddy Christ, I will go back and re-watch these. I watched them before and they provided me with a much more solid understanding of some of the questions I had- like you mention, why do people keep losing faith in God if he's so active in their history? That's a really good point.

Anyway, if you haven't watched these videos, they are a must-see. I'm trying to wade through reading Karen Armstrong's book, A History of God, by myself but it's pretty darn dull to start off and I get easily distracted by other stuff. I've heard as a whole though, she still believes in some sort of deity so she doesn't take a completely skeptical stance. I'll have to find out for myself.
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
16-01-2012, 08:38 AM
thanks for this vid,
Appreciate it Smile

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
16-01-2012, 08:50 AM
I really enjoy listening to this guy's videos. He is very calm and clear.

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-01-2012, 09:17 AM
Evid3nc3 is awesome! I also consider all his videos to be "must-see."

But even though his speech is slow and deliberate, I don't really compare it to Christopher Walken. For one, there's no cowbell.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
16-01-2012, 09:27 AM
These videos provide some great information that I will include (with references) when I write out my de-conversion story for my father. He's asked why I'm not a Christian anymore and after long talks he wants to keep engaging on the topic so the only thing I can really do is write out a long and detailed history of my life as a Christian and transition to non-believer. While I wasn't aware of this information before my deconversion, this guy's videos really helped solidify my position in my own mind.
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
16-01-2012, 10:09 AM
(16-01-2012 08:03 AM)kineo Wrote:  Hey thanks for posting these Buddy Christ, I will go back and re-watch these. I watched them before and they provided me with a much more solid understanding of some of the questions I had- like you mention, why do people keep losing faith in God if he's so active in their history? That's a really good point.

That really is the question I think:
Why do people keep losing faith in God if he's so active in their history?

The answer for some might be kind of shocking but completely true:
He's irrelevant.
\\ God has always been a local concern.

These are great videos - very clear, concise, and there's not a lot of distracting visual clutter. I'd seen them before, but it's been a while.

Thanks for posting them!! Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
16-01-2012, 11:06 AM
I'd really like to see some of the forums faithful believers chime in on these videos...

Strange when good "educational" material comes in.. they go hide in a corner with nothing to say...

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 1 user Likes ddrew's post