A Hitherto Unexperienced Frame of Mind

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2014, 02:20 PM
A Hitherto Unexperienced Frame of Mind
I don't do sports. I don't watch games; I don't follow games.

But I do statistics and spreadsheets and several years ago I assisted a friend with a game allocation scheme for his Nationals season ticket pool (in conjunction with a brilliant piece of software concocted by a Boeing employee and run each year on Boeing's supercomputer). Over the years my friend has promised to get me to a game and finally after ten years of helping with the pool I got out to DC to spend a long weekend and we went to the last four games of the Nationals regular season.

Well. It turned out to be pretty exciting. The Nationals did spectacularly well, even in games that no longer mattered (they'd secured their playoff berth earlier). The last game brought the entire packed grandstand to its feet and the roar was probably heard as far away as Quebec with a no-hitter obtained by a single miraculous catch.

I left DC for home with an unfamiliar flag of sports allegiance planted in that usually vacant slot of mindspace, not quite sure what to make of it.

Home is San Francisco.

And the Giants are this moment slugging it out with the Nationals for a shot at the World Series.

Now I will confess, sports indifferent as I am, that when the Giants do well enough to make it to World Series contention, I'm somewhat less indifferent. It's that tribal gene we're all encumbered by, and there's no escaping its primeval tug at the strings of allegiance.

Hence I've got TWO allegiances fizzing in contention in a region of mind I'm most of the time not conscious of - and it's a very weird feeling.

What's most weird is that not only do I have even a slight preference for which team to prevail - I'll feel elated by a victory, even though the one thing that will happen for sure is a victory. Whatever the outcome, I'll be emotionally bouyed by it.

So how's that for cool? A life's event that just by occurring gives a reason to smile, despite its natural context of binary opposition. I still don't quite know what to make of it - but this is the sort of thing we should be finding out how to bottle, and create more of.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Airportkid's post
06-10-2014, 02:28 PM
RE: A Hitherto Unexperienced Frame of Mind
Quote:The last game brought the entire packed grandstand to its feet

That communal experience can be very powerful. I once went to a WWE event with some friends as a joke and found myself very caught up in the events even though I knew it was all scripted. Being in the middle of the crowd all sharing the same emotions is hard to ignore.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
06-10-2014, 02:29 PM
Airportkid

It's the jet fumes.Yes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
06-10-2014, 03:35 PM
You wrote "Quebec"; I thought, " Idea Ah! Hockey!"

You wrote "Giants"; I thought, "Nope. Murikan football!"

You wrote "World Series"; I thought, " Consider Maybe Rounders?"

Huh

I've been to a few rugby internationals and I find it intriguing watching the crowd. I've never felt part of it, though.

You've made me want to give it a try (pun not intended).

Nice OP. Thanks.