A Huge Reconmendation!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2010, 07:44 AM

A Huge Reconmendation!
I'm not sure if any of you out there have listened to or watched Julia Sweeney's performance of Letting Go Of God, but its FANTASTIC! I can't reconmend it any higher. Its powerful, and very funny please check it out.

[Image: lettinggoofgod.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
17-06-2010, 09:48 AM

RE: A Huge Reconmendation!
When I heard about her performance, I just had to hear it for myself. I found a copy online and listened to it.

Needless to say, Julia nailed every single feeling I had when I 'broke free' of the religious chains. She is an 'every person' when it comes to atheism. What I mean is that for folks who are already atheists, she says something very familiar we may have all gone through, and for people on the fence, she makes a very good presentation of all the concerns/confusions she went through as she left her religion.

The unfortunate thing is that she has recently decided to pull away from the public. This blog article from Hemant Mehta summarizes her decision:

http://friendlyatheist.com/2010/03/07/ju...-wilmette/
17-06-2010, 10:22 AM

RE: A Huge Reconmendation!
Thanks for the information. I understand her position though. It was clear listening to the show that she was telling her story, and her story was one of discoveries she made on her own, in her own time. I find it almost impossible to proselytize my non-belief. It's not out of fear, or embarrasment it's just that's not what its about for me. If you ask a question of me I will answer it as best I can, but I'm not in the convincing game, and that may be the road she felt she was going down with her "fame". I enjoyed it so much precisely because she did it all on her own just like I did and as many many have. I felt the emotions she felt because I had had those very same emotions. She is pretty cool and I'm glad I accidentily found her show.