A Humanist, a Buddhist, and a kitten

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Sad A Humanist, a Buddhist, and a kitten
This happened about two hours ago. This story is about a hurt animal, please read with caution.

I was driving onto the exit ramp from the highway that runs through my city, when I noticed a truck was stopped with its hazards flashing. Normally I wouldn't stop (single woman driver, can be hazardous). But the driver was peeking beneath his truck, and as I slowed I noticed a small shadow underneath the truck. I asked the man if he needed some help, and he said yes - he was trying to help a hurt kitten he'd found.

I parked just in front of him, and got out to help. The kitten was hiding behind a wheel, and I helped to coax it into a box. It was so scared, and panting heavily; but that was the least of its worries. The little kitten's entrails were exposed and loose. Nevertheless, it was skittish and still able to scurry surprisingly quickly. We both knew it wouldn't survive, but we still wanted it to pass humanely.

After we got the kitten into the box, I called animal control only to find out that they don't operate on Sundays here (no one even on-call). The dispatcher said she could have an officer meet us across town at the city vet clinic (which is also closed.. but she wouldn't have the officer meet us where we were). I offered to drive, and the man sat in the backseat holding the kitten in the box. We had some interesting conversation on the drive; he was disappointed in the number of vehicles that drove by, shaking their heads, honking at him for being stopped in one lane of a two-lane road. He mentioned his disappointment in the hypocrisy of Christians, what with it being Sunday, and right after the lunch rush hour. I said that I was an atheist, and he told me he was a Buddhist. I asked about his philosophy, and got to tell him what I think. Our viewpoints were quite similar when it comes to regard for all life. The only difference probably being that I don't believe in any kind of spirit.

A police officer met us there, and he said he could have a vet meet us, but he didn't know how long it would be. So we called a vet's office, and their message said that they won't see any animals other than current customers'. We were surprised the kitten was still alive at all, but there it was, still scared and scurrying around inside the box. The man who found the kitten said he would just take it back home with him, and do what he could to make it comfortable. There wasn't much else we could do.

The fact that it was a Buddhist and a Humanist who stopped to try to help a little animal in need made us both hopeful for humanity.

I'm sorry for the sad story, but I've never been a part of something like this before, and feel that I need to share it. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like roximoxi's post
06-07-2014, 02:58 PM
RE: A Humanist, a Buddhist, and a kitten
God bless the Christians - they need all the help they can get Wink
06-07-2014, 06:23 PM
Good for you ! People that show compassion toward animals are the best.
[+] 2 users Like Leo's post
06-07-2014, 06:32 PM
What's up with the so called animal loving vets who won't help with an emergency because of it's inconvenient timing?
06-07-2014, 06:33 PM
(06-07-2014 06:32 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  What's up with the so called animal loving vets who won't help with an emergency because of it's inconvenient timing?

Yeah, that makes me crazy. My dad took calls 24/7. And the vets we use do too.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
06-07-2014, 06:37 PM
(06-07-2014 02:22 PM)roximoxi Wrote:  This happened about two hours ago. This story is about a hurt animal, please read with caution.

I was driving onto the exit ramp from the highway that runs through my city, when I noticed a truck was stopped with its hazards flashing. Normally I wouldn't stop (single woman driver, can be hazardous). But the driver was peeking beneath his truck, and as I slowed I noticed a small shadow underneath the truck. I asked the man if he needed some help, and he said yes - he was trying to help a hurt kitten he'd found.

I parked just in front of him, and got out to help. The kitten was hiding behind a wheel, and I helped to coax it into a box. It was so scared, and panting heavily; but that was the least of its worries. The little kitten's entrails were exposed and loose. Nevertheless, it was skittish and still able to scurry surprisingly quickly. We both knew it wouldn't survive, but we still wanted it to pass humanely.

After we got the kitten into the box, I called animal control only to find out that they don't operate on Sundays here (no one even on-call). The dispatcher said she could have an officer meet us across town at the city vet clinic (which is also closed.. but she wouldn't have the officer meet us where we were). I offered to drive, and the man sat in the backseat holding the kitten in the box. We had some interesting conversation on the drive; he was disappointed in the number of vehicles that drove by, shaking their heads, honking at him for being stopped in one lane of a two-lane road. He mentioned his disappointment in the hypocrisy of Christians, what with it being Sunday, and right after the lunch rush hour. I said that I was an atheist, and he told me he was a Buddhist. I asked about his philosophy, and got to tell him what I think. Our viewpoints were quite similar when it comes to regard for all life. The only difference probably being that I don't believe in any kind of spirit.

A police officer met us there, and he said he could have a vet meet us, but he didn't know how long it would be. So we called a vet's office, and their message said that they won't see any animals other than current customers'. We were surprised the kitten was still alive at all, but there it was, still scared and scurrying around inside the box. The man who found the kitten said he would just take it back home with him, and do what he could to make it comfortable. There wasn't much else we could do.

The fact that it was a Buddhist and a Humanist who stopped to try to help a little animal in need made us both hopeful for humanity.

I'm sorry for the sad story, but I've never been a part of something like this before, and feel that I need to share it. Thank you.

Funny as the Sabbath was never on Sunday, in fact this is a pagan practice. Yet again I must remember, Christianity is just a modern stem of old paganism.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
06-07-2014, 06:46 PM
The humane thing would be to shoot it dead so it dies quickly instead of suffering for the next days or hours.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 1 user Likes Lightvader's post
06-07-2014, 07:30 PM
(06-07-2014 06:46 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  The humane thing would be to shoot it dead so it dies quickly instead of suffering for the next days or hours.

Why not try to save it? Death is the last resort for anything.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
06-07-2014, 07:38 PM
(06-07-2014 07:30 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(06-07-2014 06:46 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  The humane thing would be to shoot it dead so it dies quickly instead of suffering for the next days or hours.

Why not try to save it? Death is the last resort for anything.

well, she said the vet was only accessable for regular clients, and she said that the cat was in really bad shape(the guts were exposed, and she was suprised the kitten was even alive at that point)

so it would be reasonable to assume she wouldn't be able to save the kitty.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
06-07-2014, 07:42 PM
While the odds are indeed long - surely it's worth trying if you think it's at all possible?