A Humanist, a Buddhist, and a kitten

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2014, 07:45 PM
RE: A Humanist, a Buddhist, and a kitten
(06-07-2014 06:46 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  The humane thing would be to shoot it dead so it dies quickly instead of suffering for the next days or hours.

Unfortunately, neither of us had immediate access to a gun or any other way to put it down quickly. The man who found her called a family member who was hopefully able to help.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2014, 07:53 PM
(06-07-2014 07:42 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  While the odds are indeed long - surely it's worth trying if you think it's at all possible?

We did all that we really thought we could Sad We both determined that the most humane thing to do would be to try to make it as comfortable as possible, or try to contact someone who would be able to put it down quickly. At least it was no longer on the side of the road, burning on the asphalt.

Other than that, we couldn't get a hold of anyone who would have been able to try to save it.
06-07-2014, 07:55 PM
(06-07-2014 07:42 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  While the odds are indeed long - surely it's worth trying if you think it's at all possible?

yes, if i thought it was possible to save it, i would've tried. But if i didn't, i would kill it as quick as possible.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 1 user Likes Lightvader's post
06-07-2014, 07:55 PM
(06-07-2014 07:53 PM)roximoxi Wrote:  

We did all that we really thought we could Sad We both determined that the most humane thing to do would be to try to make it as comfortable as possible, or try to contact someone who would be able to put it down quickly. At least it was no longer on the side of the road, burning on the asphalt.

Other than that, we couldn't get a hold of anyone who would have been able to try to save it.

My post was actually a question to Lightvader and I don't disagree with your course of action - that's why I put in the qualifier of "if you think it's possible"

Just a clarification.
06-07-2014, 08:06 PM
(06-07-2014 07:53 PM)roximoxi Wrote:  

There are several options that come to mind, but most of these are enough to make even me gag if i ever have to do most of them.

06-07-2014, 09:04 PM
(06-07-2014 07:55 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  
(06-07-2014 07:53 PM)roximoxi Wrote:  We did all that we really thought we could Sad We both determined that the most humane thing to do would be to try to make it as comfortable as possible, or try to contact someone who would be able to put it down quickly. At least it was no longer on the side of the road, burning on the asphalt.

My post was actually a question to Lightvader and I don't disagree with your course of action - that's why I put in the qualifier of "if you think it's possible"

Just a clarification.

Oh yes, I understood that. But thank you for your clarification.
06-07-2014, 09:12 PM
(06-07-2014 08:06 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  
(06-07-2014 07:53 PM)roximoxi Wrote:  We did all that we really thought we could Sad We both determined that the most humane thing to do would be to try to make it as comfortable as possible, or try to contact someone who would be able to put it down quickly. At least it was no longer on the side of the road, burning on the asphalt.

There are several options that come to mind, but most of these are enough to make even me gag if i ever have to do most of them.

I'm not strong enough emotionally - I think the man felt the same way. It makes me feel worse if I consciously allowed it to die scared, rather than comforted...not that I would be able to know for certain how it felt, or if I could even help at all.
07-07-2014, 02:53 AM
Don't worry, you did the best you guys could. How's the kitteh?

07-07-2014, 03:01 AM
Actually, I don't know. I regret not getting the man's number, then I could have known for certain that the little sweetheart left peacefully Sad but he seemed pretty sincere, and I feel that to go to the lengths he did with a stranger is fairly evident of that.
07-07-2014, 07:10 AM
I like the idea of "humanism" being a broad term for compassion, even for things which are not strictly "humane". Thank you for sharing your story
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post