A Hypothetical

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2016, 12:35 PM
A Hypothetical
I had the strangest dream last night, that I wanted to sort of share the basic premise of it and see where people ran with it. You guys always go in the most interesting directions I hadn't anticipated!

The evening news says there is a major breaking report from the Vatican, potentially world changing, everybody hang on to your butts!

After a moment, the pope himself is seen, seated in the chair of St. Peter.
He addresses the world. His speech is addressed to everyone, of any and all faiths.

He says that an Angel appeared before all in the Vatican and proclaimed that humanity had gotten the gospels wrong, and that God had decided it was time to help us find the correct path.

The angel went on to say that free will was the most important facet of christianity, and that with the concept of Hell, free will was negated. There is no hell, there is no punishment or reward for your beliefs. Souls enter the earthly realm, learn and grow, and if they wish, rejoin the collective. Belief in God was not based on a fear of eternal damnation- the Angel called that a ridiculous concept. Belief was a simple choice- returning to "Heaven" was not blocked to anyone- however, a lifetime of disbelief could cause the soul to inadvertently block ITSELF from returning.

The broadcast ends, the world sits in stunned silence, and then...

Discuss. Big Grin

(No proof is offered, only the Pope's speech)

I had a dream like this last night, I cleaned it up a bit but it's very close. I'm curious to see if my brain's ending is similar to people's imagined endings.
(So you know, I am neither Catholic nor religious in any fashion)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2016, 12:44 PM
RE: A Hypothetical
(31-08-2016 12:35 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  The angel went on to say that free will was the most important facet of christianity, and that with the concept of Hell, free will was negated. There is no hell, there is no punishment or reward for your beliefs. Souls enter the earthly realm, learn and grow, and if they wish, rejoin the collective. Belief in God was not based on a fear of eternal damnation- the Angel called that a ridiculous concept. Belief was a simple choice- returning to "Heaven" was not blocked to anyone- however, a lifetime of disbelief could cause the soul to inadvertently block ITSELF from returning.

Or maybe intentionally. This sounds like what the Mormons believe based on what Alla has posted here. GoodWithoutGod will have a more academic opinion.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
31-08-2016, 12:45 PM
Cue millions from hardcore Calvinism, Baptists, and so forth declaring that this is final proof that the Pope is the Antichrist out to trick humanity into Hell.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 4 users Like Reltzik's post
31-08-2016, 12:50 PM
I'm not sure exactly what we're supposed to discuss since it was a dream, but the first thing that comes to mind is there is still no evidence of a god regardless of how the parameters are laid out.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
31-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Was this before or after they gave him the poison wine ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
31-08-2016, 01:04 PM
(31-08-2016 12:50 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I'm not sure exactly what we're supposed to discuss since it was a dream, but the first thing that comes to mind is there is still no evidence of a god regardless of how the parameters are laid out.

Sorry, I thought it was self evident. Discuss what comes next, how people react, does anything change? Thumbsup
31-08-2016, 01:04 PM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2016 01:12 PM by Mr. Boston.)
I would brace myself for the unprecedented wave (well at least unprecedented in the last few hundred years) of Catholics raping and pillaging all over the world. I think there are a great many who would do so without the threat of Hell stopping them. Which is ironic because one of my biggest "beefs" with theists is when they assert that we're immoral without the threat of Hell/God.
[+] 3 users Like Mr. Boston's post
31-08-2016, 01:05 PM
(31-08-2016 12:59 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Was this before or after they gave him the poison wine ?

As usual, this is undisclosed Consider
31-08-2016, 01:14 PM
Ok, maybe this one is a dud? I thought it was an interesting topic, sorry guys. Blush

Here is where my dream took me, I woke up feeling refreshed and invigorated, lol...

I and my like minded souls decided to form our own collective instead, and we did. Eventually we went to war with the God collective and after a fierce and bloody battle, we triumphed. "God" turned out to be that old guy hiding behind the curtain in the Wizard of Oz. He was summarily executed. We then overindulged in everything, until our society collapsed under its own opulence..

Wonder what Freud would make of that? Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
31-08-2016, 01:16 PM
(31-08-2016 01:04 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I would brace myself for the unprecedented wave (well at least unprecedented in the last few hundred years) of Catholics raping and pillaging all over the world. I think there are a great many who would do so without the threat of Hell stopping them. Which is ironic because one of my biggest "beefs" with theists is when they assert that we're immoral without the threat of Hell/God.

I agree 100%- I firmly believe that most people are religious only because they are afraid NOT to be.
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post