A Hypothetical

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2016, 01:17 PM
RE: A Hypothetical
(31-08-2016 01:14 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  Wonder what Freud would make of that? Tongue

Whatever it is it would involve your penis and your mother. .... And a noseful of cocaine.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
31-08-2016, 01:28 PM
Quote:Or maybe intentionally.

That is pretty much where my brain took it...a revolution. I really woke up thinking that was sort of a fascinating "tell". Cool
31-08-2016, 01:32 PM
Quote:Whatever it is it would involve your penis and your mother. .... And a noseful of cocaine.

There's a party I'll be skipping, lol...
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
31-08-2016, 01:45 PM
For some reason the novel, "Divergent," came into mind as I read your dream description, Dark One.

Have you read this book?

This is probably irrelevant but there are vague connections with myth busting.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
31-08-2016, 03:59 PM
I would think if hard core Catholics believed him they would start to re-evaluate how they worship, they wouldn't want to keep going to church and confessing sins anymore so just go and live a good life and don't hurt anyone, pretty simple really. I would gladly welcome them into the ranks of the secular moral humanists.

I would still reject this God though, if he felt a need to send an angel to the Pope instead of broadcasting that shit one every channel in every language and online, make sure we're all equal in this. Plus he would have to denounce every immoral action he ever committed or told his followers to commit in the Bible and make it clear human sacrifice is wrong, even when he does it. Then I'd maybe consider hearing him out, and that's a big maybe.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post
31-08-2016, 04:29 PM
.... question. Is this announcement made ex cathedra?

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
31-08-2016, 05:11 PM
(31-08-2016 04:29 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  .... question. Is this announcement made ex cathedra?

Unknown, except he is sitting in The Chair...is that relevant? Unknown. All people see is that broadcast- and then of course a thousand "experts" debating it.

I think that was sort of the point, in my dream...there was no proof, and very little information of any kind beyond the Pope's statement. Yet this will surely rock the Catholic world- he's the friggin' Pope, right? I mean, the bible gives him this authority in chapter *mumble* verse *mumble* so, what else can they do?
31-08-2016, 05:16 PM
(31-08-2016 03:59 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  I would think if hard core Catholics believed him they would start to re-evaluate how they worship, they wouldn't want to keep going to church and confessing sins anymore so just go and live a good life and don't hurt anyone, pretty simple really. I would gladly welcome them into the ranks of the secular moral humanists.

I would still reject this God though, if he felt a need to send an angel to the Pope instead of broadcasting that shit one every channel in every language and online, make sure we're all equal in this. Plus he would have to denounce every immoral action he ever committed or told his followers to commit in the Bible and make it clear human sacrifice is wrong, even when he does it. Then I'd maybe consider hearing him out, and that's a big maybe.

Agreed. I really picture this happening, and I think I would laugh and say "time for a new pope, this one's clutch is slipping!"

I just don't think many people outside of Catholicism will bite. If the Caths start going crazy (er), other people might get caught up in the frenzy, sure...but I can't picture myself buying his claim without proof. The essence of an atheist, I suppose... Cool
31-08-2016, 06:17 PM
(31-08-2016 05:11 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  
(31-08-2016 04:29 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  .... question. Is this announcement made ex cathedra?

Unknown, except he is sitting in The Chair...is that relevant? Unknown. All people see is that broadcast- and then of course a thousand "experts" debating it.

I think that was sort of the point, in my dream...there was no proof, and very little information of any kind beyond the Pope's statement. Yet this will surely rock the Catholic world- he's the friggin' Pope, right? I mean, the bible gives him this authority in chapter *mumble* verse *mumble* so, what else can they do?

Not really. Ex cathedra would require him to actively state that he's speaking with the full authority of his office, probably accompanied with all sorts of official proclamations with fancy wax seals and ribbons and whatnot. If he's not speaking ex cathedra, Papal Infallibility doesn't come into play. Catholics everywhere can (and would) disagree with him, especially the pack of cardinals that make up the upper echelons of the church. They might speculate that he was growing feeble in his mind, or try to resolve his statements as a metaphorical truth consistent with doctrine to date... or just think he's wrong. That's how so many of Pope Francis's progressive statements have been walked back.
31-08-2016, 08:47 PM
They haul out ole smoky and go Joan of Arc on his ass.

I kind of doubt much would happen. Most Catholics don't give a shit about what the PoPo says about birth control, masturbation, or transubstantiation so they would just cherrypick their theology like all good christians do.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac