A Hypothetical

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2016, 12:03 PM
RE: A Hypothetical
(31-08-2016 12:35 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  I had the strangest dream last night, that I wanted to sort of share the basic premise of it and see where people ran with it. You guys always go in the most interesting directions I hadn't anticipated!

The evening news says there is a major breaking report from the Vatican, potentially world changing, everybody hang on to your butts!

After a moment, the pope himself is seen, seated in the chair of St. Peter.
He addresses the world. His speech is addressed to everyone, of any and all faiths.

He says that an Angel appeared before all in the Vatican and proclaimed that humanity had gotten the gospels wrong, and that God had decided it was time to help us find the correct path.

The angel went on to say that free will was the most important facet of christianity, and that with the concept of Hell, free will was negated. There is no hell, there is no punishment or reward for your beliefs. Souls enter the earthly realm, learn and grow, and if they wish, rejoin the collective. Belief in God was not based on a fear of eternal damnation- the Angel called that a ridiculous concept. Belief was a simple choice- returning to "Heaven" was not blocked to anyone- however, a lifetime of disbelief could cause the soul to inadvertently block ITSELF from returning.

The broadcast ends, the world sits in stunned silence, and then...

Discuss. Big Grin

(No proof is offered, only the Pope's speech)

I had a dream like this last night, I cleaned it up a bit but it's very close. I'm curious to see if my brain's ending is similar to people's imagined endings.
(So you know, I am neither Catholic nor religious in any fashion)

Doesn't sound significantly different from current Catholic doctrine :/ a few subtle changes and that's basically what we believe.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2016, 07:10 PM
Quote:Not really. Ex cathedra would require him to actively state that he's speaking with the full authority of his office, probably accompanied with all sorts of official proclamations with fancy wax seals and ribbons and whatnot.

Yes, I get that...but I also know Catholics who think "Sitting in the chair of St Peter" is to be taken literally, instead of as a sort of metaphor for "in his holy/official capacity", so...it would muddy the waters of many, I think. As if Catholics aren't muddied enough Laughat
05-09-2016, 04:04 PM
All this worry about what happens after we die is caused by our neurological makeup. If you get rid of anxiety as a physiological response you no longer worry about death, or anything else for that matter. Since its impossible to get rid of death its better to concentrate on getting rid of the anxiety response. There are some good medications that can do that these days. Then you won't have dreams like that or, if you do, you won't care.

Ants, for instance, don't care about dying. They just get on with their lives. Atleast the ones I've spoken to. Wink
[+] 3 users Like Deltabravo's post
08-09-2016, 08:27 AM
Quote:Then you won't have dreams like that or, if you do, you won't care.

Where the hell is the fun in that? Nightmares and wacky dreams are fun...like going to a horror movie but not having to pay!

"Don't breathe" was pretty good though, didn't mind paying for that one...