A Lack of Fear

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2014, 09:43 AM
A Lack of Fear
Something has happened to me in the past 2 or 3 years. I absolutely have no fear. I'm not scared of anything... nothing "freaks" me out.

In the past, scary movies would give me a little fright and make it difficult to sleep in the dark for the night. Now, I just sit through them completely unaffected. Occult based movies were the worst... some of those used to literally chill me to the core. Now they bounce off me like a rubber bullet.

I'm not even frightened by "boo" moments in movies anymore. I don't jump. I'm just like "meh".

This apathy has sneaked its way into every part of my life. I used to be scared of dying and going to hell (admittedly this was a long time ago), but now, that fear is completely non-existent. I've come to terms with what death brings to the table.

I have no fear of dangerous animals. I learned that copperheads very rarely kill, so I've literally grabbed them by the tail before and thrown them. I've stomped their heads with my heel. I've kicked them in the face. I know that even if they do bite me the worst that will happen is I will get sick.

I'm not afraid of getting West Nile (petty I know, but it's a huge fear down here). I used to cake on the bug spray before going outside; however, I ended up getting it anyway. Yeah, it sucked, but it wasn't that bad. Now, I don't care. If I get it, I get it.

I'm not afraid of social situations. In the past I was shy about voicing my opinion or potentially getting into a confrontation. Now, I don't care. You piss me off, you're getting Beastmode. I used to be afraid of black people or going through black neighborhoods. Ever since I completely dropped all past indoctrination of racism, I don't fear this... at all. I even wave, nod, or smile at people in the neighborhoods... and guess what... they wave, smile, or nod back.

I don't know. Maybe it's education... or age... or experience. Who knows. But, I'm starting to wonder where all my fear went.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post
17-04-2014, 10:05 AM
RE: A Lack of Fear
Are you afraid of what might happen to your wife and/or your children? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
17-04-2014, 10:05 AM
Hmm... neat.

What will you do with this newly realized fearlessness?

Will you seek out the rush of danger?
... and in doing so essentially, piss off Queeny?

Just an aside note... scary movies? Those never bothered me after a certain age - around 9 - probably when I was able to differentiate between fiction and fact/ unreality and reality /nonsense and sense.

I guess I don't really fear much, either... unless I'm subjected to a momentary circumstance beyond my control... maybe like being in a tornado. That passes as soon as I'm in a basement or sheltered somewhere. I guess that's not really fear - it's more like anxiety - "Will I be able to get to shelter!?" - that kind of thing.

So, meh - fear isn't really much of an issue for me either. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
17-04-2014, 10:13 AM
(17-04-2014 09:43 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Something has happened to me in the past 2 or 3 years. I absolutely have no fear. I'm not scared of anything... nothing "freaks" me out.

In the past, scary movies would give me a little fright and make it difficult to sleep in the dark for the night. Now, I just sit through them completely unaffected. Occult based movies were the worst... some of those used to literally chill me to the core. Now they bounce off me like a rubber bullet.

I'm not even frightened by "boo" moments in movies anymore. I don't jump. I'm just like "meh".

This apathy has sneaked its way into every part of my life. I used to be scared of dying and going to hell (admittedly this was a long time ago), but now, that fear is completely non-existent. I've come to terms with what death brings to the table.

I have no fear of dangerous animals. I learned that copperheads very rarely kill, so I've literally grabbed them by the tail before and thrown them. I've stomped their heads with my heel. I've kicked them in the face. I know that even if they do bite me the worst that will happen is I will get sick.

I'm not afraid of getting West Nile (petty I know, but it's a huge fear down here). I used to cake on the bug spray before going outside; however, I ended up getting it anyway. Yeah, it sucked, but it wasn't that bad. Now, I don't care. If I get it, I get it.

I'm not afraid of social situations. In the past I was shy about voicing my opinion or potentially getting into a confrontation. Now, I don't care. You piss me off, you're getting Beastmode. I used to be afraid of black people or going through black neighborhoods. Ever since I completely dropped all past indoctrination of racism, I don't fear this... at all. I even wave, nod, or smile at people in the neighborhoods... and guess what... they wave, smile, or nod back.

I don't know. Maybe it's education... or age... or experience. Who knows. But, I'm starting to wonder where all my fear went.

Where will you be, when psychopathy strikes?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
17-04-2014, 10:19 AM
You are still a young man. Part of that comes with age, settling down getting used to things...that sort of thing. Being rational helps...

Then later, the fears will return...I promise you they will. They'll be totally different but they will be fears nonetheless.

For example the prospect of losing your job (or having a business fail) in your 20s is completely different than losing your job in your mid to late 40s and 50s.

Enjoy this time in your life. Hug

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-04-2014, 10:23 AM
(17-04-2014 09:43 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I have no fear of dangerous animals. I learned that copperheads very rarely kill, so I've literally grabbed them by the tail before and thrown them. I've stomped their heads with my heel. I've kicked them in the face. I know that even if they do bite me the worst that will happen is I will get sick.

This is not an apathetic response, it is still fear based, even if you're not 'scared'. You have a 'fight' response as opposed to a 'flight' response. Apathy would be not even caring that it's there, letting it crawl on you even.

Also, when you get pissed off and go into 'beast mode', that is a response of 'fight' as well.

I think you maybe aren't scared anymore, but you still recognize some dangerous situations (maybe the more real ones, not the horror movies or black people and neighbourhoods) are still worthy of respect, which includes fear but not necessarily feeling scared.

Sounds like a good place to be actually, I am envious. Though I've mastered a lot and come a long way, fear and anxiety is still something I battle frequently.
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
17-04-2014, 10:26 AM
(17-04-2014 10:19 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  You are still a young man. Part of that comes with age, settling down getting used to things...that sort of thing. Being rational helps...

Then later, the fears will return...I promise you they will. They'll be totally different but they will be fears nonetheless.

For example the prospect of losing your job (or having a business fail) in your 20s is completely different than losing your job in your mid to late 40s and 50s.

This^^

(thanks Moms for making it easier for me to post :thumbsupSmile

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
17-04-2014, 10:45 AM
(17-04-2014 10:19 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  You are still a young man. Part of that comes with age, settling down getting used to things...that sort of thing. Being rational helps...

Yup, thats a fact.

It seems in my case that "fears" would be analogous with "worry" and "aggravation" in the "golden years" (stupid term Dodgy ), but I do seem to be more brutal with my approach to what I want to do and say.

Although, now a days the fear of breaking a hip keeps me awake at nights. Laugh out load

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
17-04-2014, 10:59 AM

I give this a double thumbs up, Mom.

It's not just loosing a job that brings on fear in your late 30's and into your 40's but trying to raising kids to be human beings. Everything was ok until my two kids got to be around 15 and then all hell broke loose. Anxiety up the wazoo, fear and panic galore. My son came out as transgender and has transitioned to female and is doing much, much better now, finally found happiness. My youngest daughter dumped her boyfriend whose hobby was killing small animals and hitting her. She also found happiness. So yeah, fear along with a bunch of shit reared it's ugly head for a few years there. Things are much better now.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
17-04-2014, 11:04 AM
The only thing that filled me with fear over the last couple of years was the thought of a theist rising to a position of authority on / over my favourite forum.

I can relax now. With this OP, I am comfortable that this has not happened.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post