A Lack of Fear

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2014, 11:12 AM
RE: A Lack of Fear
Desensitization is normal, especially the more one is confronted with that which used to scare him or make him uncomfortable.

One may read in fiction novels, which should be an indicator how untrue it is, whereby detective-like characters love to make the claim that they never get used to the horrors they witness on a daily basis, because to get used to it would make them less than human.

There is no correlation between getting used to it and being a psychotic or sociopathic monster. Getting used to it is simply a natural part of being human.

For example, when the Frankenstein movie first came out, people were genuinely scared of what they witnessed on the screen. Today, we find the original film more comedic than scary due to the entertainment business having desensitized us from what used to be scary by creating even scarier concepts that are beginning to not even bother us anymore.

It is perfectly normal to get used to it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2014, 11:18 AM
Ya know what I was afraid of ? Thinking Kimmy was gone too long. Now I'm afraid of nothing either. Well, I am afraid I'll only get black jelly beans from the Easter Bunny. THAT would be bad.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
17-04-2014, 11:29 AM
(17-04-2014 11:18 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Ya know what I was afraid of ? Thinking Kimmy was gone too long.

It was the only way to make immediate rainbow status a certainty. Wink

(17-04-2014 11:18 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Now I'm afraid of nothing either. Well, I am afraid I'll only get black jelly beans from the Easter Bunny. THAT would be bad.

Ha - I only like the black ones. Coincidence? I think NOT. Hug

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
18-04-2014, 04:47 PM
If this movie doesn't scare you than you are the bravest person I know.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
27-04-2014, 05:22 PM
I don't fear much, either, though I was a scared little kid. I grew out of it and challenged the hell out of myself. Hitchhiked all over the US and Canada, went to Morocco when I was 18. Became a practitioner of Tibetan Buddhism at 21 and went on to become a guard ready to take a bullet for the guru. Started a moving business in NYC and did jobs in the best and worst neighborhoods. Went to California and was a private investigator who chased crazies all over and served legal papers to criminals of all stripes. Moved back to my hometown and opened a computer shop from scratch...etc., etc.

Here is what I fear: public speaking, though not in smaller groups. Heights, as in rock climbing and tall ladders. Alcohol and stimulant drugs because they nearly killed me numerous times. Lyme Disease because it really, really sucks. Fundamentalist zealots of any kind who do not listen to reason. Big Brother who sees and knows all. Politicians with no ethics. Corporations with no regard for humanity. Narcissistic megalomaniacal psychopathic power trippers. And a few other things.

I do fear getting into later life and having health issues. There is still much to accomplish, places to go, fun to be had. Death, not so much. I've had a crazy life and I'm not very disappointed, though I've blown it many times. Still here, my heart is beating and the clock is still ticking. I fear not knowing more than I do now, because life is so rich, yet finite.

When you believe in things that you don't understand, then you suffer. Superstition ain't the way. - Stevie Wonder