A Learning God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2010, 09:20 AM
A Learning God
Hello everyone, this is my first thread pertaining to any serious stuff so lets begin.

I have this hypothesis that if there is a god that all he did was set the ball in motion and not do anything, this is based off my brothers belief that god made the universe and left-where to?-.
Basically the twist I throw into it is that supposedly god existed before the universe right? thats before EVERYTHING, power doesn't necessarily bring knowledge, with nothing in existence there would be nothing to know.
If I was in that kind of a position I would want to learn, so why not create some basic things that you've imagined
-doesn't matter at this point where the idea of the universe came from-
Big bang happens, and as we know today from studying stars and matter, all the substances that exist today didn't always, some were created from later events -supernovas, nuclear fusion etc etc-

SO, our god in this scenario has created some basic things, and is now watching and learning as things start to come together, watches in aw as gravity and momentum become apparent in his realm, and on some little spec of dirt some compounds start coming together and behaving in a self sustaining manner, clearly this would be of interest to our creator, and after watching for longer than he cares to count, they begin behaving -somewhat- intelligently.

of course I'm sure this will get ripped to shreds in no time but its just a rough opinion.
I notice some flaws in this as well, it explains the horrors and atrocities commanded by god, hes still learning, even after all those billions of years, he may know matter/light/physics but "life" could be an entirely new concept to him.

... comment as you will.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2010, 09:50 AM
RE: A Learning God
A deistic god?
Theres of course the usual ''who created the creator'' problem, when the world was just that small hot and dense spot, how could there be some intelligent being in there, when even atoms hadnt formed yet.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
01-09-2010, 10:00 AM
(01-09-2010 09:50 AM)Kikko Wrote:  A deistic god?
Theres of course the usual ''who created the creator'' problem, when the world was just that small hot and dense spot, how could there be some intelligent being in there, when even atoms hadnt formed yet.

could you elaborate on that? what do you mean by small hot dense spot; do you mean when the earth was forming or the singularity before the big bang?
I am going to assume you were referring to the big bang in which case "idk" is the best answer I or anyone could have really, who's to say an entity that can create all matter isn't also oblivion immune?
The question of who created the creator is a baffling question, god is a question which seems like it tries to answer itself with an even more complex question.

I find my theory more probable than that of any religion I've heard tell of, but its not something I hold in high regard.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

01-09-2010, 10:31 AM

Evidently, your hypothetical deity has the capability of creating the entire known universe but is still in infancy. It sounds rather like a deity made in the image of human beings ... with curiosity because we're not omniscient ... and with considerable power but not omnipotent. Only a deity with limited knowledge would need to experiment.

Do you have any reason (i.e., evidence) that might convince us to accept the hypothesis that such a deity actually exists?
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Quote:could you elaborate on that? what do you mean by small hot dense spot; do you mean when the earth was forming or the singularity before the big bang?
The big bang thing.
Quote:I am going to assume you were referring to the big bang in which case "idk" is the best answer I or anyone could have really, who's to say an entity that can create all matter isn't also oblivion immune?
Can you explain what means 'oblivion immune'? The dictionary says 'oblivion' means ''completely forgotten'', but I dont think you meant that.
Who's to say that an entity can create all matter?
Quote:I find my theory more probable than that of any religion I've heard tell of, but its not something I hold in high regard.
Yep, its still just made up, but better than religion.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
01-09-2010, 10:38 AM
EDIT: Never mind. I misread.

The problem with this, though, is that it is nothing but bare assertion. It says that the universe formed exactly as it would have if God did not exist at all. Not only is there no evidence of this, there cannot be evidence of this. What's the reason for believing it?

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
01-09-2010, 10:43 AM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2010 10:48 AM by UnderTheMicroscope.)
(01-09-2010 10:38 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  EDIT: Never mind. I misread.

The problem with this, though, is that it is nothing but bare assertion. It says that the universe formed exactly as it would have if God did not exist at all. Not only is there no evidence of this, there cannot be evidence of this. What's the reason for believing it?

The reason for THINKING about it is based entirely on hours of thought, there is no evidence, there is no support for it, its just an opinion, and as I said I do not hold it in high regard.

Quote:Can you explain what means 'oblivion immune'?

As for 'oblivion immune' I meant that maybe hes idk invincible? xD
I should have worded it better the first time but before and leading up to the big bang is pretty well nothing/void/oblivion. See what I mean?

Quote:Who's to say that an entity can create all matter?

idk, whos to say the flying spaghetti monster doesn't really exist, what If I am his mediator on this plane of existence?!... I understand what you're saying though Tongue

01-09-2010, 11:08 AM
(01-09-2010 10:43 AM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  The reason for THINKING about it is based entirely on hours of thought, there is no evidence, there is no support for it, its just an opinion, and as I said I do not hold it in high regard.

I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is, then, but okay... Huh

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
01-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Quote:
I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is, then, but okay... Huh

The point of it was to share an opinion of mine, and of course others can share their opinions.

01-09-2010, 12:33 PM

God or no God, Big Bang or no Big Bang, the universe has either existed for all eternity (supported by various physicists) or there was a moment at which point the non-existence turned into existence. It doesn't have much to do with the OP, but I think that the very concept of something springing from non-existence to existence for no apparent reason, or something that has existed forever (an incomprehensible timescale) is absolutely perplexing.

I think almost no explanation for the origin of the universe (if it had an origin at all) will be psychologically satisfying. The sheer scale of the universe defies human language and understanding. That is not to say that physics cannot explain away its mysteries (which is what I hope to do), but the explanations get weirder and weirder every day.

It's like contemplating the moment of death. The point at which "you" cease to exist, and existence slips back into non-existence (for all practical purposes, existence has ended for you). You can think about for hours and never quite grasp all the implications. The human brain just simply wasn't designed for it. It's as if we have one more step to go in our evolution. Almost all other animals as far as we know cannot contemplate the universe they live in at all, and cannot truly understand death. The have an instinct of self-preservation, and continue living only because of this instinct (and the desire to reproduce). As humans, I'm sure the more cultured ones may be able to fully grasp these two concepts, but I think most of us cannot.
Quote this message in a reply