A Lennon Thread...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2011, 12:22 PM
A Lennon Thread...
At least once each calendar year, everyone runs across the particular odd date which triggers some kind of pause. Some happy dates, some not so much. Strangely, this date sticks in my head… John Lennon died December 8th, 1980. He was 40. An historic person much admired… but the significance of the event surrounding his passing seems to linger. Why I remember … nothing I can put my finger on, might just be timing… where I was in my life; where he was in his; where the world was at that moment… it all sort of came together in one out of control moment, and nothing is the same. Life continues in all it's trajectories… changed.

I'm trying to switch my remembrance of John Lennon to his birth anniversary October 9th - after all, I feel privileged to have shared the planet for a short time. For fuck's sake, it's been 31 years. I don't even put an question mark or exclamation mark to that statement anymore. Maybe I'll catch his B-Day next year - or maybe I'll leave that for another generation to accomplish.

For now… Great Lennon quotes -let them fly! … music… photos…video …whatever you want… or not… maybe you didn't really care for the guy… was he the anti-christ?…. maybe you feel his entire "image" has been exploited … maybe you thought he was a fake… or are you just Lennon curious? ….

Celebrate a life warts and all ... all things Lennon….

on cold December day…
*** Cool ***

Christianity will go. It will shrink and vanish. I needn't argue with that; I'm right and I will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first - rock and roll or Christianity. ~ John Lennon

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2011, 12:30 PM
RE: A Lennon Thread...
I remember this day, as a sophomore in high school.
We had read Slaughterhouse 5 and now were watching the film in class. The teacher, who had been a big Beatles fan, turned off the movie and we watched coverage about the murder.

Imagine...

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
08-12-2011, 02:29 PM
He died before I was born but I'm what you would call a moderate fan. I'm not a Beatles fan but I love some of their songs. Lennon being my favorite Beatle.

Ever see The Heartbreak Kid with Ben Stiller? Rob Corddry wears a plain t-shirt that has 1940 - 1980 printed on the front. I wanted to get one but apparently you have to get one made. Can't find anything like it online.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
08-12-2011, 02:42 PM
If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace. ~ John Lennon

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
08-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today
ohhh ohhh oh oh ohhhh

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
08-12-2011, 11:15 PM
Shy Is it you?

09-12-2011, 12:02 AM
(08-12-2011 02:48 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today
ohhh ohhh oh oh ohhhh

Imagine a kid who really dug on this song, but because of the delusion of God, he always felt guilty singing along to it. Now it's like my personal anthem.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
09-12-2011, 12:31 AM
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

09-12-2011, 12:37 AM
(09-12-2011 12:31 AM)kim Wrote:  Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

Imagine a kid who loved going to Bible camp each summer, but remembers the year the "Bible study" time was exegeting and tearing apart these blasphemous lyrics that this sad soul channeled for Satan.

09-12-2011, 01:15 AM
I saw one of the billboards today... funny, cause it wasn't there yesterday. In Wichita Kansas -I'm not sure if anyone really realizes how kind of impossible that is.
Cool It made me feel really good.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=322]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

[+] 1 user Likes kim's post