A Lesser God.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2014, 04:54 PM
Rainbow A Lesser God.
In Alcoholics Anonymous God is roughly interpreted as a Higher Power 'as understood by the individual'.While this might be seen as a Clayton's God, it seems to me, this is about as far as we can go, providing we are genuinely seeking abstinence, along with becoming better individuals.

Generally speaking gods are seen as all powerful, omniscient Beings, embracing Perfect Goodness......a hard act to follow, even if one wanted to.With AA it seems, the god need not be absolutely perfect, simply of a higher moral order. In contrast Jesus asks us to be perfect, like our Father in Heaven, a task seemingly impossible, given the dubious nature of the Highest on High.

The God of AA is not concerned with millions of words, after life expectations, pomp and ceremony, along with dogmatic demands and directives. Far more simply the alcoholic is asked to turn to a transcendent force for the good (god equals good)in order to stop their excessive drinking and, tangentially, work on becoming better individuals. Scientific proof is not required relevant to such a potential force, simply faith, and faith is not synonymous with temporal scientific proofs. Of course the secular moral issues to be addressed are subject to scientific knowledge, with the Higher Power seen as a motivator for the good

Within AA there are atheists, agnostics, and Christians. I have not come across any Hindus, Zarathustrians, or Islamists ,but I imagine there are some of those too.Christ's first miracle was said to have been turning water in to wine, perhaps not a good example for alcoholics, and Islam has a very hard line when it comes to drinking.
Where God is elevated to an unreasonable position in terms of any rational understanding, and in particular where science is denigrated, the concept becomes almost impossible and a Higher Power quite refreshing. Our religious brethren may be encouraged to glean the good of scripture, rather than be completely intimidated by it in its entirety.

As we say in Oz...,Don! is Good!'...God! is good!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
28-02-2014, 05:48 PM
RE: A Lesser God.
(28-02-2014 04:54 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  As we say in Oz...,Don! is Good!'...God! is good!

Reminds me of my siggie Woofmeister. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
28-02-2014, 06:06 PM
RE: A Lesser God.
(28-02-2014 05:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-02-2014 04:54 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  As we say in Oz...,Don! is Good!'...God! is good!

Reminds me of my siggie Woofmeister. Big Grin

Silesius rings an old bell. Must google him................Yes