• 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2014, 01:07 AM
A Little Hope...
A long way to go but...

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2014, 01:26 AM
RE: A Little Hope...
A long way indeed. But at least the conversation has started.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
02-01-2014, 02:35 AM
Wait wait wait wait, 68% said they'd vote for an openly gay candidate... 68%.. in America...
I'm just gonna throw the bullshit card out there.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
02-01-2014, 03:16 AM
(02-01-2014 02:35 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Wait wait wait wait, 68% said they'd vote for an openly gay candidate... 68%.. in America...

I think the question was worded...
Would you prefer to vote for an openly gay candidate or poke out your own eyeballs with a sharpened stick?

32% chose the stick!

Drinking Beverage

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
02-01-2014, 04:04 AM
(02-01-2014 03:16 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 02:35 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Wait wait wait wait, 68% said they'd vote for an openly gay candidate... 68%.. in America...

Would you prefer to vote for an openly gay candidate or poke out your own eyeballs with a sharpened stick?

32% chose the stick!

Drinking Beverage

No it's MSNBC I'm surprised the poll was only 68% in favor. MSNBC is like the liberal version of Foxnews, light on facts high on fluff. They used to have one show on there that would ask some kind of slanted question "Is Bush the worst world leader since Hitler?" and would always get like 90-98% saying yes. Being liberals they don't have to lie quite as much as conservatives (the facts tend to favor liberals more) but they still cook the books and tend to lie by omission more than anything else. They are not as popular as Foxnews mainly because most liberals prefer NPR to a cable news organization that runs prison documentaries all weekend but some of their Opiniotainment people are ok.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
02-01-2014, 05:15 AM
(02-01-2014 03:16 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

32% chose the stick!

Drinking Beverage

You joke, but that wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if that was true.
In fact I'd still be calling bs on 68%.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
02-01-2014, 06:56 AM
Oh, I think attitudes among people in general have changed a lot over time here. I live in a very conservative rural area and people don't seem to care much about the gay issue anymore, one way or another. There is openly gay activity in town and no one cares. Just 10 years ago it would have been met with a lot of resistance. The gay issue is going away. Took it long enough, back in the 70s when gay activists first started making noise, it was a very different thing.

It is actually the gay and the feminist movements that give me the hope that religion will be sitting in the back seat in some 40 years or so. These things take time, social evolution doesn't happen overnight, but we have come a long way in the last century and social evolution will continue to happen at a much more rapid pace than a few hundred years ago.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
02-01-2014, 08:11 AM
(02-01-2014 06:56 AM)Dom Wrote:  It is actually the gay and the feminist movements that give me the hope that religion will be sitting in the back seat in some 40 years or so.

I don't think so Dom, maybe to some extend people will lose their religion over these issues, but for the most part religion will only adjust and repeat, although i must say they are getting pretty desperate nowadays...

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
02-01-2014, 08:35 AM
(02-01-2014 08:11 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 06:56 AM)Dom Wrote:  It is actually the gay and the feminist movements that give me the hope that religion will be sitting in the back seat in some 40 years or so.

I don't think so Dom, maybe to some extend people will lose their religion over these issues, but for the most part religion will only adjust and repeat, although i must say they are getting pretty desperate nowadays...

No, I didn't men they lose faith over these issues.

I mean that those issues have progressed with lightning speed, as far as social evolution goes, which generally takes several generations. Women's lib has pretty much succeeded with exception of the equal pay for equal work issue. Gay pride has pretty much succeeded - just today the boy scouts folded and allow openly gay kids. That issue is very close to resolution.

I see atheism as an issue that is equal to the women's rights and gay rights issues - atheists are still being discriminated against, but are just starting to get more vocal now.

Both feminism and gay freedom took about 40 years to gain acceptance since they started getting vocal. Atheists are just starting down that road now. So I predict some 40 years.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
02-01-2014, 08:51 AM
(02-01-2014 08:35 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 08:11 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  I don't think so Dom, maybe to some extend people will lose their religion over these issues, but for the most part religion will only adjust and repeat, although i must say they are getting pretty desperate nowadays...

No, I didn't men they lose faith over these issues.

I mean that those issues have progressed with lightning speed, as far as social evolution goes, which generally takes several generations. Women's lib has pretty much succeeded with exception of the equal pay for equal work issue. Gay pride has pretty much succeeded - just today the boy scouts folded and allow openly gay kids. That issue is very close to resolution.

I see atheism as an issue that is equal to the women's rights and gay rights issues - atheists are still being discriminated against, but are just starting to get more vocal now.

Both feminism and gay freedom took about 40 years to gain acceptance since they started getting vocal. Atheists are just starting down that road now. So I predict some 40 years.

I'd venture it will be a bit faster. We have access to social media and the like, news cycles are much faster these days and a lot of pop culture icons are out atheists so we have a bit of a head start.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post