A Little Hope...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2014, 09:23 AM
RE: A Little Hope...
Almoust only in America.

I think that the only European countries in which being an atheist can hinder your political career are Poland, Italy and maybe in some parts of Spain.

(22-05-2014 06:23 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I abstain from all forms of sexual acts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2014, 09:37 AM
And most of Asia is already secular.

Which just leaves the Middle East.

So nothing to worry about, is there?

Drinking Beverage

02-01-2014, 09:54 AM
(02-01-2014 09:37 AM)DLJ Wrote:  And most of Asia is already secular.

Drinking Beverage

We need to worry about Africa, methinks. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-01-2014, 10:20 AM

Drinking Beverage

well...................

[Image: Secularmap.PNG]

Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iran are not secular and technicaly most of the very unsecular middle east are part of Asia since the border of Asia-Africa is in Egypt.

And in Southeast Asia itself there are various countries that are not Secular such as Bhutan, Thailand and Cambodia where Buddism is still the state religion. Then there are the Southeast Asian Islamic countries such as Malaysia and others.

Indonesia is a Muslim country which has a secular constitution, but there is a rebelious province in that country which has interduced sharia law, which is why Indonesia is not on the map.

Most monarchies are technicaly not secular since the monarch is mostly appointed "by god" rather than "by the people" like it is in Spain and Sweden.

(02-01-2014 09:54 AM)Chas Wrote:  We need to worry about Africa, methinks. Yes

Actualy only in Arab North Africa.
Most of sub saharan black Africa is stricktly secular. Mainly because of the various different religions you find in this place and the history of that. Basicaly, the reason why subsaharan Africa is secular is the same why Europe became secular so early: Different religious groups slaughtered each other to the point that they agreed that everyone needs to be treated equaly.

(22-05-2014 06:23 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I abstain from all forms of sexual acts.
02-01-2014, 10:22 AM
(02-01-2014 10:20 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Actualy only in Arab North Africa.
Most of sub saharan black Africa is stricktly secular. Mainly because of the various different religions you find in this place and the history of that. Basicaly, the reason why subsaharan Africa is secular is the same why Europe became secular so early: Different religious groups slaughtered each other to the point that they agreed that everyone needs to be treated equaly.

Not true. Christianity is wreaking havoc in central Africa, especially Nigeria.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
02-01-2014, 10:24 AM

That's fascinating!

Latin America is quite religious but it's made of or religious moderates and liberals for the most part.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
02-01-2014, 10:30 AM
(02-01-2014 10:22 AM)Chas Wrote:  Not true. Christianity is wreaking havoc in central Africa, especially Nigeria.

And in Uganda and in Kenia and in others.

I know that are laws being ut in place such as for example the criminalisation of homosexuality. These laws may origin out of religious movements, but are still subject to a secular constitution.

02-01-2014, 10:55 AM
Methinks (not for the first time) that The Germans don't have the same humour glands as wot I does.

03-01-2014, 03:15 PM
The problem with Africa is that Christianity seems to be the "in" thing.
Politicians can preach and rally people behind something like "kill the gays" because it's far easier than dealing with the actual issues, that being disease, poor water, poor housing, poor education, war (in some cases), poor life span, aids etc.. etc.. etc..

In South America, countries are stable (for the most part). They know the issues and are more or less working towards fixing them.
Religion has set it and it's not an issue, it was the "in" thing back in the day and now everyone's over it. You're either Catholic or you can gtfo. So Politicans need to focus on actual issues.

Africans need to hurry up and embrace Catholicism so they can focus on actual issues which in turn will increase their.. "civilized-ness"
which in turn will lead to an improvement in human rights issues and a decline in religion.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]