A Misfiring of Caring

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2015, 07:41 AM
RE: A Misfiring of Caring
I've often felt that my own tendency to empathize (or empathise if you prefer) with people is a personal weakness. It usually equates to making excuses for others in my life in trying to understand why they do the things they do rather than simply demanding change or corrective action. I mean, I'm not a total wimp... I just think in terms of root causes.

My uncle was a car mechanic who could fix almost anything. He bestowed upon me at an early age the idea that, if you need to repair something you gotta understand how it works. I find myself applying this adage to people as well usually resulting in the suffering of of more fools than I need.

I got a 9 on the test.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Grassy Knoll's post
20-12-2015, 08:45 AM
When it comes to actual empathy, I care more about immediate family members or friends than I do about strangers. People who are starving and in need of basic necessities of life in other countries don't bother me one bit on an emotional level.

I empathize with people who are going through tough times. I've been through tough times with less than a dime to my name, not sure how I was going to make it, but I've never been starving. I've never been homeless. And because I haven't experienced those situations, its more difficult for me to empathize.

I still do empathize, but it doesn't hit my heart as much.

I'll cry over some fictitious father and son moment in a movie, when no one is around, because I can directly relate to that.

An uncle of mine has stage 4 cancer at 55 years old and it doesn't make me sad that he's going to die fairly soon. What kills me on the inside is that he won't be able to see his grandkids grow up and they won't have him in their lives. I have a grandson that means the world to me. I would fight through everything to be able to see him grow up.

So his death, in and of itself, doesn't trigger feelings of empathy, but the situation with his grandkids brings me to my knees.

Empathy is a tricky wicket. If you feel like you don't have enough, you're probably normal. If you eat barbeque puppies for lunch, you might want to seek professional help. (BBQ baby back ribs do not count)

Smile

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
20-12-2015, 09:14 AM
(20-12-2015 08:45 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Empathy is a tricky wicket. If you feel like you don't have enough, you're probably normal. If you eat barbeque puppies for lunch, you might want to seek professional help. (BBQ baby back ribs do not count)

Wait, do you mean barbecued baby ribs?

Or barbecued puppies' baby-back ribs?

I'm so confused about how to live up to the fundies' expectations of us atheists. Tongue

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
20-12-2015, 09:20 AM
I'm at work so:

Block Reason: Blocked per policy - Filtered site category

Or maybe I'm such a psychopath that my job doesn't want me to find out the truth, so I'll just naturally be an asshole to get my job done.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
20-12-2015, 09:46 AM

What's that, a D– or something? If I had known there would be a test, I would have studied.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
20-12-2015, 09:48 AM
6!?!

Consider I do have a soft exterior...
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
20-12-2015, 09:53 AM
(20-12-2015 09:14 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(20-12-2015 08:45 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Empathy is a tricky wicket. If you feel like you don't have enough, you're probably normal. If you eat barbeque puppies for lunch, you might want to seek professional help. (BBQ baby back ribs do not count)

Wait, do you mean barbecued baby ribs?

Or barbecued puppies' baby-back ribs?

I'm so confused about how to live up to the fundies' expectations of us atheists. Tongue

You start with puppy ribs, the gateway to atheism and real babies.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
20-12-2015, 10:06 AM
High 5. Thumbsup

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
20-12-2015, 10:16 AM
(20-12-2015 10:06 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  High 5. Thumbsup

All you peeps wtth single digit scores, psycopaths live 2 standard deviations away from the mean. Don't matter which direction. So far Moms is the scariest fucker here.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
20-12-2015, 10:40 AM
(20-12-2015 10:16 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-12-2015 10:06 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  High 5. Thumbsup

All you peeps wtth single digit scores, psycopaths live 2 standard deviations away from the mean. Don't matter which direction. So far Moms is the scariest fucker here.

I thought we already knew that. Consider

Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post