20-12-2015, 10:46 AM
RE: A Misfiring of Caring
(19-12-2015 10:40 PM)pablo Wrote:  I'm a 21. Consider
6 here. A loser, in other words ;-)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2015, 10:54 AM
(20-12-2015 07:41 AM)Grassy Knoll Wrote:  I've often felt that my own tendency to empathize (or empathise if you prefer) with people is a personal weakness. It usually equates to making excuses for others in my life in trying to understand why they do the things they do rather than simply demanding change or corrective action. I mean, I'm not a total wimp... I just think in terms of root causes.

My uncle was a car mechanic who could fix almost anything. He bestowed upon me at an early age the idea that, if you need to repair something you gotta understand how it works. I find myself applying this adage to people as well usually resulting in the suffering of of more fools than I need.

I got a 9 on the test.
Yes, for most of my life I cut people way too much slack. Now that I'm getting old I find that I simply don't give a fig anymore. It's like the current arguments around conferring sainthood on Mother Theresa. Maybe she's not a gargoyle with an evil desire to perpetuate human suffering while claiming to ease it and in the past I might have made that argument. But ... it looks like a gargoyle, and acts evil, so ... what good is all my understanding and compassion for her lifelong dark night of the soul? She glorified suffering as ennobling, and could not address most if not all of the root causes of poverty because her belief system perpetuates them (gender, economic, race and theological inequality for instance). She should be called out on it, not lauded for it. End of story. At the end of the day the reasons why she was a douche aren't really relevant; she was a douche.

The same arguments can be applied to the abrahamic concept of god, televangelists, pastors, or even to my former self. When I was a fundamentalist I didn't mean to be, didn't feel like, wasn't trying to be and did not have the self image of an asshole -- and yet ... I WAS ONE.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
20-12-2015, 10:54 AM
(20-12-2015 10:46 AM)mordant Wrote:  
(19-12-2015 10:40 PM)pablo Wrote:  I'm a 21. Consider
6 here. A loser, in other words ;-)

Or a psychopath. Consider

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
20-12-2015, 11:30 AM
I scored a 9. I would have thought I would be somewhere in the high teens at least.
20-12-2015, 01:04 PM
12, right in front of the crest of the bell curve.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
20-12-2015, 01:12 PM
The test is complete.

You scored 7. Scores above 30 indicate psychopathy, of course only a professional, which this test is not, can make a true assessment.

Apparently I am the anti-psychopath.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
20-12-2015, 01:17 PM
(20-12-2015 01:12 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  The test is complete.

You scored 7. Scores above 30 indicate psychopathy, of course only a professional, which this test is not, can make a true assessment.

Apparently I am the anti-psychopath.

I also scored 7 which tells me that the test is probably not very accurate.
Drinking Beverage

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
21-12-2015, 07:00 AM
I got a five, but that's because I was trying to figure out out to parse some of those questions. Some are so absolute that it seems no one could answer them in a certain way. On a more literal reading of the questions, I could see myself scoring a 15 or 20.
21-12-2015, 07:05 AM
7. Damn, I'm such a nerd...

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
21-12-2015, 07:07 AM
(19-12-2015 10:37 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(19-12-2015 10:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  You're a better man than I, Banjo Din.

I wonder. You're a pretty cool guy. As is DLJ.

Maybe DLJ is a secret criminal??? A cat burgler working his way around the world's high story buildings? Consider

Meow!