A Moderated Content Section?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2014, 11:33 AM
RE: A Moderated Content Section?
(28-12-2014 11:05 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Don't jump off the pier yet bozo, make each day count Drooling

No piers in my immediate future, as best I can tell. At the moment, I'm very healthy, and have a pretty darn good life.

Talking about diseases is not so fun, but the topic of death is so ripe with philosophical potential, it can be hard to resist.

The entirely sensible idea that we should "make each day count" is based upon the premise that what we have now is better than what is coming, a very widely held belief which is totally unprovable, largely wild speculation.

But very understandable...

I'm almost positive that in my after life all my dearly departed relatives will meet me at the pearly gates of um, probably Purgatory, and laugh their asses off at what a newbie twerp I am with all my fancy talk-talk, and then offer me a beer. Yup, beers in the after life, gotta be true.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2014, 11:56 AM
(28-12-2014 11:33 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
(28-12-2014 11:05 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Don't jump off the pier yet bozo, make each day count Drooling

No piers in my immediate future, as best I can tell. At the moment, I'm very healthy, and have a pretty darn good life.

Talking about diseases is not so fun, but the topic of death is so ripe with philosophical potential, it can be hard to resist.

The entirely sensible idea that we should "make each day count" is based upon the premise that what we have now is better than what is coming, a very widely held belief which is totally unprovable, largely wild speculation.

But very understandable...

I'm almost positive that in my after life all my dearly departed relatives will meet me at the pearly gates of um, probably Purgatory, and laugh their asses off at what a newbie twerp I am with all my fancy talk-talk, and then offer me a beer. Yup, beers in the after life, gotta be true.

It is a conversation hard to have for sure. When I buried both of my daughters and wife my entire worldview slid to a halt. Now I place a higher value on life, not that I didn't previously, but I truly try to make each day count now. I strive to love my new wife like every day is our first and last, if you get what I am saying. Kiss like it is the first time, and the last time each time, and take the time to look at the beautiful world around us. We are usually so focused on life, we miss all of the moments blurring past us. Life to me is about creating and cherishing "moments'...everything else is just the grind in between until we die.

What happens after is something we will find out eventually. But since I understand man's creation of afterlife is a coping mechanism for death, I don't think there is one.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 5 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
28-12-2014, 12:49 PM
(28-12-2014 11:56 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  When I buried both of my daughters and wife my entire worldview slid to a halt.

Yikes, I'm so sorry. Wishing you much happy cherishing...
28-12-2014, 12:57 PM
(28-12-2014 10:55 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
(28-12-2014 10:40 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Are you by any chance contemplating suicide?
Is there anything we can do to help?

Oh, thanks much for asking, but no, and no.

Well on second thought, yes, you can entertain me while I await the grim reaper's arrival. That would be appreciated!

It's just my age. I've never been 62 before, and it's a new perspective, like all ages. Both my parents died in their early seventies, so sometimes it feels as if I'm looking down the barrel of the gun. But it's ok. Really, it is.

Well, maybe. Unless I get one of those diseases like Parkinsons, and then yea, I'll be thinking about a long walk off a short pier, cause dude, you definitely don't want that one. No go zone.

I do A LOT of hiking way back in the woods, so my hope is that one day the Heart Attack Man will come when I'm not looking, instant easy exit, and then I'll be buzzard poop, which some people claim I already am...

Don't you just love talking with geezers about diseases and death and various kinds of creepy medical stuff?? Holy cow, so much fun!!

We all feel it.
Didn't know it was possible to hurt yourself while sleeping until I hit 50.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
28-12-2014, 01:34 PM
(28-12-2014 12:57 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  We all feel it.

Ha, ha! I hurt myself just reading that. Too funny.... Yep, you know what I'm talking bout.
28-12-2014, 02:06 PM
(27-12-2014 09:06 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
Quote:KC does challenge us, but he unlike most theist trolls who come here, yourself included, he actually made an effort to get to know us.

Did you notice how you've completely ignored the reasoned analysis I offered on a possible difference between me and KC, and all you wish to talk about is your emotional reaction to me?

I didn't force you to do that, so I accept no blame. You could have chosen to respond with a reasoned analysis of your own, and then we could have dialoged on that level.

I'm not complaining, just explaining, you're making your own bed here. If you get tired of my emotional content, just ignore it, and respond to the reasoned content only. Be responsible for your own experience.

I'm trying to do the same, and the ignore list feature is helping out quite a bit. Maybe I belong on your ignore list? Problem solved once and for all?

My reaction wasn't emotional (it's rather insulting that you took it that way). You claimed that ALL theists are treated with a level disrespect. I pointed out this isn't the case. Some have come here and made an excellent impression on this forum. But they don't continually spout off the same crap over and over, spam the forum with hyperbole.

I can't put you ignore, as super-moderator it's just inappropriate, but if I were a regular member of this forum, I wouldn't hesitate.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
28-12-2014, 02:08 PM
So let me ask this Bozo....is there anyone here that you DO think is worthy of discussing whatever it is you want to discuss? If so, is there a reason you can't just discuss it in the boxing ring? I ask, because if you start the thread, you get to make the rules, and that includes who is allowed to take part in the discussion. If you decide to allow multiple people, that's fine too. All you need to do is start the thread, and state your terms.

(The one thing that WONT be moderated is the content of people's posts. If they're allowed to participate, they're allowed to say what they want.)

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 8 users Like Stark Raving's post
28-12-2014, 02:37 PM
(28-12-2014 02:08 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  So let me ask this Bozo....is there anyone here that you DO think is worthy of discussing whatever it is you want to discuss? If so, is there a reason you can't just discuss it in the boxing ring? I ask, because if you start the thread, you get to make the rules, and that includes who is allowed to take part in the discussion. If you decide to allow multiple people, that's fine too. All you need to do is start the thread, and state your terms.

(The one thing that WONT be moderated is the content of people's posts. If they're allowed to participate, they're allowed to say what they want.)

I've seen him admiring Tomasia. Perhaps they should get themselves a private room Smile Then they can have a lovely little... ehehe... "conversation" and all we'll be able to do is wail and gnash our teeth and *wish* we could make little quips to disrupt their ever-so-philosophical-and-interesting discourse.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
28-12-2014, 02:40 PM
(28-12-2014 02:06 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  You claimed that ALL theists are treated with a level disrespect.

I thought I claimed, perhaps with inadequate clarity, that anyone who effectively challenges the group consensus of any community is likely going to wind up in some kind of trouble.

I've actually tested this, and while personality is a factor, it really only affects how long it will be until the effective challenger winds up in some kind of trouble.

If a challenger does not have um, perfect manners, that gives the community the opportunity to change the subject from the challenging posts to the challenging poster when they start to feel backed up in to a corner, as we see happening here now.

It is actually more ruthless to challenge a community with perfect manners, because then that defense mechanism is stripped away too.

The url of this site contains the word "thinking". It's my theory that anyone that does enough thinking will eventually start exploring the boundaries of whatever group consensus they find themselves in.

And then they'll likely start getting in to trouble. Being a perfect gentleman only slightly delays the lynching.

Quote:I can't put you ignore, as super-moderator it's just inappropriate, but if I were a regular member of this forum, I wouldn't hesitate.

Can you ban me as a super-moderator? If you feel this strongly, perhaps you should? After all, there's nothing like a crucifixion to make an imaginary holy man famous. :-)

Or you could just keep deliberately reading posts you hate and then whine about them?

Your brain, your time, your call. I'm agreeable to whatever you wish to do.

It's your job to run this place, and my job to type stuff that engages people. I'm doing my job, and will leave you to yours.
28-12-2014, 02:43 PM
(28-12-2014 01:34 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
(28-12-2014 12:57 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  We all feel it.

Ha, ha! I hurt myself just reading that. Too funny.... Yep, you know what I'm talking bout.

Just because you have a negative rep, it does not mean that you can't 'like' someone's post if it amuses you so to do.

Dodgy

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post