A Moderated Content Section?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2014, 07:16 PM (This post was last modified: 25-12-2014 08:31 PM by Full Circle.)
RE: A Moderated Content Section?
(25-12-2014 06:49 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:We’re not twelve year olds with tourrettes syndrome

Speak for yourself! Angry

I'm a 12 year old suffering from tourettes in a 23 year old not suffering from tourettes body.
Don't discriminate against my identity or I'll so protest your ass and inconvenience your language by making it politically incorrect to explain my indenity with less than 8 syllables

Sorry ‘Muffs, I meant to write, “We’re not all twelve year olds with tourrettes syndrome”.

Better?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-12-2014, 07:20 PM
For now... Angry I got my eye on you Full Circle if that is indeed your real name...
[+] 7 users Like earmuffs's post
25-12-2014, 07:51 PM
Dodgy

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

25-12-2014, 10:44 PM
If you follow Rule #1, you won't need to seek out the best posters on the forum. Simply cease being a dick, and they will find you. Wink

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 8 users Like Stark Raving's post
25-12-2014, 10:53 PM
(25-12-2014 05:02 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(25-12-2014 04:55 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  It would be great if there was one section of the forum where members couldn't clog the thread to death with short little clever quipy blurb posts that don't really add anything useful to the topic.

The problem is the same on every forum. You have intelligent interesting posters here, but their writing tends to get swamped by the less qualified, those whose only real interest is to get a quick lazy ego bump for the least possible effort.

Seriously though, if you want that sort of thread, the closest you are going to get is a match in The Boxing Ring; where two participants argue uninterrupted in a closed environment.

This isn't much of a place for the whole 'controlled environment' deal.

No! Not it's mainly for for the user/ abusers.........peeps who use expletives and insults because they can't be bothered to consider the nuances of an argument.
The 'boxing ring' simply sets things up for the people here who like to exercise
their empowerment, in some cases as a mod, in others as a person who absolutely knows it all, along with all the snipes/bad mouthing etc.
26-12-2014, 03:48 AM
(25-12-2014 10:44 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  If you follow Rule #1, you won't need to seek out the best posters on the forum. Simply cease being a dick, and they will find you. Wink

The kind of posters I'm hoping to find will be confident enough, and interested enough in the actual topic (as opposed to their ego) that they won't care if I'm a dick or a saint. They'll correctly see that as my problem, not theirs.

Being worried about somebody else's dickness is really just a way of admitting we're worried about our own little ego.

What makes me a dick is that I'm not all that interested in other poster's little egos. If I was, I would go to all-about-our-egos.com, instead of thethinkingatheist.com.

Thinking people will always eventually arrive at challenging the assumptions of whatever group consensus they find themselves in, and when they do that they'll be declared a dickhead, irregardless of how polite or not they may be.

I've actually tested this over my twenty years of forum experience (get a life Bozo!). I'll join a forum with a rowdy identity. And then I'll come back later and join with a scrupulously polite identity. The result is always the same.

If you challenge the group consensus effectively enough, polite or not, sooner or later you get scorned or banned.

It's actually kinder to be rowdy, because once your fellow posters find themselves in an inconvenient corner, they can change the subject from the inconvenient post to the inconvenient poster, and that gives them a face saving escape route.
26-12-2014, 04:49 AM
(25-12-2014 05:24 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  I would start my own forum (I'm a forum software developer) but every time I raise these kind of suggestions on any forum they always get shot down with earnestness, so I suspect everyone who understands and agrees with me on this has already bailed on the forumosphere. Apparently I'm too dense to do so myself. Typoholic. :-)

I'd suggest not starting your own forum. When you moderate a forum it seriously inhibits your own ability to post. No matter how impartial you are, if you debate and enforce the forum rules at the same time they will accuse you of using your position of power to win the argument.
26-12-2014, 04:54 AM
(25-12-2014 06:58 PM)pablo Wrote:  I think he's angry because it only takes a short quip to shoot down a full page of his ramblings.

In my experience people start quipping when they don't take the poster seriously. This happens if they keep repeating themselves without listening to any responses.

Oh and Pablo, Baba Bozo will see your post now if he has you on ignore because I have responded to it.
[+] 4 users Like Mathilda's post
26-12-2014, 05:09 AM
(26-12-2014 04:54 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(25-12-2014 06:58 PM)pablo Wrote:  I think he's angry because it only takes a short quip to shoot down a full page of his ramblings.

In my experience people start quipping when they don't take the poster seriously. This happens if they keep repeating themselves without listening to any responses.

Oh and Pablo, Baba Bozo will see your post now if he has you on ignore because I have responded to it.

Eh, I attempt to make quips regardless.

I'm an equal opportunity quipper.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
26-12-2014, 06:36 AM
(26-12-2014 03:48 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  I've actually tested this over my twenty years of forum experience (get a life Bozo!). I'll join a forum with a rowdy identity. And then I'll come back later and join with a scrupulously polite identity. The result is always the same.

Sock-puppeting is against the rules here and the result is always the same - banning - but thanks for the heads-up.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post