A Moderated Content Section?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2014, 06:41 AM
RE: A Moderated Content Section?
(26-12-2014 04:49 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I'd suggest not starting your own forum. When you moderate a forum it seriously inhibits your own ability to post. No matter how impartial you are, if you debate and enforce the forum rules at the same time they will accuse you of using your position of power to win the argument.

Yes, this is especially good advice for me. I have a knack at the technical part of forums, and a natural cursed talent for ripping apart any group consensus I come across, but...

You can't be a mod and bomb thrower at the same time.

That's probably the main reason I haven't started my own forum. I'm not well suited to be a mod.

If I met someone with those diplomatic talents who shared my vision of what a forum can be, then maybe. That mod would have to be able and willing to squash my posts just as much as any other though, for the reasons you suggest.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-12-2014, 07:39 AM
It's hilarious when someone starts a thread because they're so butthurt about another thread!
[+] 5 users Like photon9's post
26-12-2014, 07:44 AM
(26-12-2014 07:39 AM)photon9 Wrote:  It's hilarious when someone starts a thread because they're so butthurt about another thread!

"A" thread? He's started about a dozen different threads, all saying the same thing. Yawn...
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
26-12-2014, 07:46 AM
(26-12-2014 07:44 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(26-12-2014 07:39 AM)photon9 Wrote:  It's hilarious when someone starts a thread because they're so butthurt about another thread!

"A" thread? He's started about a dozen different threads, all saying the same thing. Yawn...
Oh I was only reading his stupid unicorn thread lol!
26-12-2014, 09:01 AM
This close to USDD'ing this thread.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
26-12-2014, 09:06 AM
(26-12-2014 06:41 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
(26-12-2014 04:49 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I'd suggest not starting your own forum. When you moderate a forum it seriously inhibits your own ability to post. No matter how impartial you are, if you debate and enforce the forum rules at the same time they will accuse you of using your position of power to win the argument.

Yes, this is especially good advice for me. I have a knack at the technical part of forums, and a natural cursed talent for ripping apart any group consensus I come across, but...

You can't be a mod and bomb thrower at the same time.

That's probably the main reason I haven't started my own forum. I'm not well suited to be a mod.

If I met someone with those diplomatic talents who shared my vision of what a forum can be, then maybe. That mod would have to be able and willing to squash my posts just as much as any other though, for the reasons you suggest.

Is that you, Chippy? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
26-12-2014, 10:24 AM
(26-12-2014 03:48 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
(25-12-2014 10:44 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  If you follow Rule #1, you won't need to seek out the best posters on the forum. Simply cease being a dick, and they will find you. Wink

The kind of posters I'm hoping to find will be confident enough, and interested enough in the actual topic (as opposed to their ego) that they won't care if I'm a dick or a saint. They'll correctly see that as my problem, not theirs.

Being worried about somebody else's dickness is really just a way of admitting we're worried about our own little ego.

What makes me a dick is that I'm not all that interested in other poster's little egos. If I was, I would go to all-about-our-egos.com, instead of thethinkingatheist.com.

Thinking people will always eventually arrive at challenging the assumptions of whatever group consensus they find themselves in, and when they do that they'll be declared a dickhead, irregardless of how polite or not they may be.

I've actually tested this over my twenty years of forum experience (get a life Bozo!). I'll join a forum with a rowdy identity. And then I'll come back later and join with a scrupulously polite identity. The result is always the same.

If you challenge the group consensus effectively enough, polite or not, sooner or later you get scorned or banned.

It's actually kinder to be rowdy, because once your fellow posters find themselves in an inconvenient corner, they can change the subject from the inconvenient post to the inconvenient poster, and that gives them a face saving escape route.

I rest my case. Dodgy

So many cats, so few good recipes.
26-12-2014, 01:49 PM
(25-12-2014 06:51 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  It would be nice if there was ONE SITE anywhere on the net that decided to serve another audience.

Like for instance, why couldn't there be a site that was nothing but people like me posting little blurbs about the evils of blurbing? That would be so great! :-)

Suscipe Domine. Have fun.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
26-12-2014, 05:11 PM
(26-12-2014 03:48 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
(25-12-2014 10:44 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  If you follow Rule #1, you won't need to seek out the best posters on the forum. Simply cease being a dick, and they will find you. Wink

The kind of posters I'm hoping to find will be confident enough, and interested enough in the actual topic (as opposed to their ego) that they won't care if I'm a dick or a saint. They'll correctly see that as my problem, not theirs.

Being worried about somebody else's dickness is really just a way of admitting we're worried about our own little ego.

What makes me a dick is that I'm not all that interested in other poster's little egos. If I was, I would go to all-about-our-egos.com, instead of thethinkingatheist.com.

Thinking people will always eventually arrive at challenging the assumptions of whatever group consensus they find themselves in, and when they do that they'll be declared a dickhead, irregardless of how polite or not they may be.

I've actually tested this over my twenty years of forum experience (get a life Bozo!). I'll join a forum with a rowdy identity. And then I'll come back later and join with a scrupulously polite identity. The result is always the same.

If you challenge the group consensus effectively enough, polite or not, sooner or later you get scorned or banned.

It's actually kinder to be rowdy, because once your fellow posters find themselves in an inconvenient corner, they can change the subject from the inconvenient post to the inconvenient poster, and that gives them a face saving escape route.

I call bullshit. Case in point Kingschosen has a rep in triple digits, former admin of our forum, and a theist.

The difference between you and he is volumes.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

26-12-2014, 05:55 PM
Kingschosen appears to not be effectively challenging the group consensus. He's not a threat, so there's no need to lynch him. And yea, he appears to be a nicer fellow too.

Also, if I understand, Kingschosen is a theist. So if he were to challenge the group consensus, it would be from the theist perspective. And you guys have memorized all the atheist dogma come backs to theist arguments, so you're comfortable with that debate, it's not a threat.

I'm not challenging the atheist group consensus with theist principles, but with atheist principles.

As example, I keep asking members to challenge the qualifications of their chosen authority (reason) in exactly the same way they challenge the theist's chosen authority (holy books).

You guys are all geared up to fight people trying to sell you holy books, but I'm not doing that. I'm trying to sell you your own principles.

This is a confusing line of attack for members, thus a threat, being held at bay with an endless barrage of quips, distractions, characterizations and other empty filler while they try to figure out how to meet the challenge.

Meeting the challenge is easy though. Be loyal to your own stated principles. Agree with yourself.