A Moderated Content Section?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2014, 07:09 PM
RE: A Moderated Content Section?
Hughsie, thanks for your thoughtful response. Please allow me to make clear at the start my following comments are about forums in general, and not this forum specifically.

Yes, in any community there are a variety of people and the question is one of how to serve the needs as many of them as possible.

I think the experience you wish to have is entirely possible. Most media experiences are already, have long been, managed by editors. In most media somebody decides what is worthwhile to publish in that particular setting, and what needs to be set aside.

This is hardly a new idea, except on forums and social media, where it is really really confusing to members and considered revolutionary, outrageous, fascist and lots of other childlike nonsense.

As a hypothetical, let's imagine I have a forum. Let's imagine I have a few posters who consistently post quality content, and who have good social skills.

I could give a few of these posters their own room to manage. They are the editor of that room, and they decide what will be published in their room, and what will not. That room attracts readers who generally agree with the editing philosophy of that editor. If nobody agrees, the room dies of lack of interest.

Some room editors might have a pretty strict content policy, while others would be looser, while others could be be "anything goes". Readers could decide for themselves which environment works best for them. There's variety, and competition, which serves the diverse needs of a community better than a "one size fits all" forum management philosophy.

Other posters will get the message that if they want their own room to rule over, the price tag is the consistent posting of quality content, and the use of good social skills. All posters now have a higher goal to shoot for, and a reward if they raise their game sufficiently.

Democratic inclusiveness and free speech etc is a fine value. But it doesn't have to be pursued exclusively at the expense of every other value. "Anything goes" and "quality content only" can exist right along side each other on the same forum.

The problem with pursuing democratic inclusiveness and free speech as exclusive values is that those policies don't really serve the needs of those posters an intellectual type forum might most like to have as members.

The best thinkers and writers on any subject have better things to do than wade through an endless supply of low quality quip based posts, just to find the rare interesting post. So they bail, or more likely, never join and thus, we don't even know who we're missing out on.

The problem I see is that early in net history people decided forums were X, and now every forum on the net can't see past that one single vision for forums, so almost all forums are almost all pretty much the same, in terms of content management.

On a great many forums it doesn't really matter, because you know, what's the point of editors and quality control on a Britney Spears Fan Club forum?

But on any forum that wishes to be about thinking, it really does matter, because those doing the best thinking simply won't participate in a format that doesn't serve their needs. And the standard forum management philosophy just doesn't.

Where are the real experts on religions and atheism? They don't participate on forums, that's where. They don't participate because no one in the forumsphere can be bothered to serve their needs. Simple. We get what we pay for.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2014, 07:11 PM
(27-12-2014 07:09 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  We get what we pay for.

Would you like a refund?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
27-12-2014, 07:18 PM
(27-12-2014 07:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Would you like a refund?

I'm not qualified by temperment to be a forum room editor, but if I was, this is the kind of supposedly oh so clever little bit of ego inflating lazy nothing that I would ruthlessly and relentlessly squash so that serious and sincere members could have intelligent conversations free of such pointless blabber.

And once I'd squashed enough of the lazy junk, posters would learn that submitting lazy junk wasn't going to work, and they'd stop submitting it. I could then focus on finding and encouraging quality writers, the real job.

But you know, right next door there could be a room where quip posting is celebrated. It doesn't have to be either/or, one or the other. Any forum community can have both, their cake and eat it too.
27-12-2014, 07:20 PM
(27-12-2014 07:18 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  

I'm not qualified by temperment to be a forum room editor, but if I was, this is the kind of supposedly oh so clever little bit of ego inflating lazy nothing that I would ruthlessly and relentlessly squash so that serious and sincere members could have intelligent conversations free of such pointless blabber.

You so silly. Thinking you're capable of having an intelligent conversation and shit.

#sigh
[+] 7 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-12-2014, 07:24 PM

And once I'd squashed enough of the lazy junk, posters would learn that submitting lazy junk wasn't going to work, and they'd stop submitting it. I could then focus on finding and encouraging quality writers, the real job.

But you know, right next door there could be a room where quip posting is celebrated. It doesn't have to be either/or, one or the other. Any forum community can have both, their cake and eat it too.

Sez you. Big Grin
Banana_zorroBanana_zorro Doing the short quip Ego dance! Banana_zorroBanana_zorro
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
27-12-2014, 07:40 PM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2014 07:48 PM by evenheathen.)

You're not interesting. If you don't like it here, get the fuck out. If you'd like to stick around, you have some work to do before anyone gives a rat's patootey about your opinions.

I'd appreciate it if you'd stop clogging our junk threads with your oh so intellectually superior posts about......what the hell have you been talking about since you've been here? Consider

We have cheese to discuss. Drinking Beverage

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 6 users Like evenheathen's post
27-12-2014, 07:42 PM
gawd, now he has turned in boohoo the whiney ass clown.

gtfo if you don't like it here. sheesh.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 4 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
27-12-2014, 07:49 PM
Usually if someone starts a decent conversation around here with no passive-aggressive remarks and no sweeping generalizations a conversation develops that fits. When you open with jerky remarks, you get that back.

It's not that difficult to understand for most of us.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 7 users Like Anjele's post
27-12-2014, 07:51 PM
In case some of us don't know, the Ignore List feature in our user control panel is a pretty handy feature.

If a reader finds my posts unwelcome, just add me to your Ignore List. It takes less than 5 seconds, problem solved, once and for all, forever. Simple.
27-12-2014, 07:52 PM
(27-12-2014 07:40 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(27-12-2014 07:18 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  I'm not qualified by temperment to be a forum room editor, but if I was, this is the kind of supposedly oh so clever little bit of ego inflating lazy nothing that I would ruthlessly and relentlessly squash so that serious and sincere members could have intelligent conversations free of such pointless blabber.

You're not interesting. If you don't like it here, get the fuck out. If you'd like to stick around, you have some work to do before anyone gives a rat's patootey about your opinions.

I'd appreciate it if you'd stop clogging our junk threads with your oh so intellectually superior posts about......what the hell have you been talking about since you've been here? Consider

We have cheese to discuss. Drinking Beverage

The 3 Cheese Types Every Cheese Board Needs

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post