A Natural History of Human Morality (upcoming book)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2015, 04:49 PM
RE: A Natural History of Human Morality (upcoming book)
(06-06-2015 01:29 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  This is what cooperative human beings can do.

[Image: 2665778977_d2ce40d278_o.jpg]

What exactly are you pointing out?

Archi

"I love the term magic realism. It's about expanding how you see the world. I think we live in an age where we're just hammered to think this is what the world is. Everything's saying 'That's the world.' And it's not the world. The world is a million possible things." - TG

Salman Rushdie talks to Terry Gilliam
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2015, 06:24 PM
(06-06-2015 04:40 PM)ArchibaldFunkdust Wrote:  
(06-06-2015 03:01 PM)Worom Wrote:  I don't really agree with this line of thinking, there seems to be an overall trend towards globalization. Trading and not killing each other over imaginary lines on a map is a generally a better idea. I do see us getting to global society being a very painful and slow process though unfortunately.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by globalisation but looking at how you have couched your argument you can only really be talking about global capitalism, which, I can assure you, is not built on cooperation. Any sense that this can lead to a kind of 'global society' is naïve in the extreme, but don't take my word for it, just take a look at history.

Archi

I can see how my argument could have been taken towards global capitalism, which although i'm not sure if it would result in a global society or not. If it did it likely wouldn't be a pleasant one. Looking back at history which was bloody and violent to the extreme I can see how your came to your viewpoint.

The most honest answer I can give is I don't know if we'll ever have a global society that is based on cooperation and minimizes violence and treats everyone equally, but I can hope for such a future even if the viewpoint may be naive. I can still do what I can to at least influence the future, even if its in the tiniest way.

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
06-06-2015, 10:01 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2015 10:07 PM by DLJ.)
(05-06-2015 04:07 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  ...
In becoming members of a new cultural “we”, modern humans evolved cognitive skills of collective intentionality, resulting in culturally created and objectified norms of right and wrong that everyone in the group saw as legitimate morals for anyone who would be one of “us”.

As a result of this two-stage process, contemporary humans possess both a second-personal morality for face-to-face engagement with individuals and a group-minded “objective” morality that obliges them to the moral community as a whole.

So, it looks like (based on the 'co-operative' comments above) that we are in a third stage of moral development where we are coming to terms with the conflicts between different groups ... highlighted by globasiation.

Matt's pictures show this third-stage collision whereas Rahn's picture shows the second-stage co-operation.

Consider

Or to put it another way, societies have not yet reached stage 6 (level 3.2) of Kohlberg's model of moral development

06-06-2015, 10:17 PM
(06-06-2015 11:20 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(05-06-2015 04:07 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  Description: Michael Tomasello reconstructs how early humans gradually became an ultra-cooperative and, eventually, a moral species.

hmm....wonder what an ultra-cooperative and moral species looks like....

[Image: atom-bomb-detonation-2.jpg]

[Image: war+crimes.jpeg]

Just gives you that warm and fuzzy doesn't it?

you forgot pics of wars and genocides committed throughout human history on a regular basis