A Near Deconversion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2011, 02:14 PM
A Near Deconversion
On the night of the Rapture, me and my open-minded Chritian girlfriend decided to go to a church I once attended. On that night the sermon was regarding the first few chapters of Psalms, where they describe the Godly (Christians) and the Ungodly (non-Christians). Throughout the sermon she was downright furious (yet respectful enough to wait till the end of the sermon to leave). During the sermon I almost saw the pastor wearing a pointed hood and screaming out "The Ungoldy live wrongful lives and it is our duty as the Godly to send these demons to hell!" Afterwards we watched a good hour of Evid3nc3's series (which she seemed to enjoy), and at the end of the night she told me that she believed I was going to heaven, with a full understanding that this directly contradicted what Jesus says in Luke 12:10 (as well as the rest of the bible).

At this point I am assuming there is a brewing conflict within her, because before we even went to the church I had asked her what she actually believed from the bible, knowing that she did not accept the whole thing as the ultimate truth, and she could not arise with an answer, but couldn't stop thinking about it. She also realized that she unconsiously surrounded herself with secular friends, and hates the church.

Anybody have any advice on how I should approach the subject as to not send her back to the dark side?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-05-2011, 02:23 PM
RE: A Near Deconversion
GassyKitten had a post about that some days ago

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
22-05-2011, 03:48 PM
(22-05-2011 02:14 PM)TheKetola Wrote:  and at the end of the night she told me that she believed I was going to heaven, with a full understanding that this directly contradicted what Jesus says in Luke 12:10 (as well as the rest of the bible).

show her this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iClejS8vWjo

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
22-05-2011, 04:02 PM
(22-05-2011 03:48 PM)Efrx86 Wrote:  
(22-05-2011 02:14 PM)TheKetola Wrote:  and at the end of the night she told me that she believed I was going to heaven, with a full understanding that this directly contradicted what Jesus says in Luke 12:10 (as well as the rest of the bible).

show her this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iClejS8vWjo

I've always thought the same thing, but he expresses it in such a much better way than I could.

Why won't God heal amputees?