A New Crop Of Bigots

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2013, 02:43 PM
A New Crop Of Bigots
Funny Video from the Amazing Atheist

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2013, 03:43 PM
RE: A New Crop Of Bigots
Is this the wrong thread to express my disgust of the institution of marraige? Born out of a tradition of purchasing your wife from her father, effectively making her the husband's property! But it just feels like a possesive thing, for both genders, too. You are MINE, and no one elses, or else!!! Gay, lesbian, straight...marraige? 2 of my best friends, a guy & gal, love one another, have had a child & raised it together (raised it well I might add), but have never been married. May never, or when they do it'll be one of those, "ehhh....what the hell, why not" deals for both of them. Do you REALLY require a liscense from the state? (don't worry, you can still have the diamonds, ladies Wink )

08-04-2013, 03:59 PM
It's good because of the legal protection you get.

It's bad because everyone acts like it's the unleashing of the dark one upon the world.
08-04-2013, 04:34 PM
(08-04-2013 03:43 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Born out of a tradition of purchasing your wife from her father. Don't worry, you can still have the diamonds, ladies Wink )

Like hell! What am I going to do with some punk's stupid diamonds? My dad, however, is really counting on those goats. Though he'll also accept camels.

And no thread is the wrong thread to say marriage is a pointless institution. Been saying it for years myself. Of course, like that pink dog above said, it can still come in handy in certain situations. A strictly legal thing, necessary in some situations. I have no beef with this, but people trying to turn it into some sacred institution? Puh-lease!

(Couldn't bring myself to watch the video. Saw what that girl was holding up and thought my head was going to explode from so much stupid. A princess... If there is a dumber, triter, more ridiculous cliche, form of address, what have you, than calling a girl "a princess" I'd like to know what it is. Actually, scratch that. I wouldn't.)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
08-04-2013, 04:38 PM
I just feel it's foolish to think marraige is what "begins" the "next phase" of your life, & shit like that, & it's funny with my friends I mentioned above. The woman is the most vehement about it. I once made the mistake of refering to them as man and wife in their presence, and she looked at me with a dangerously serious look, and said, "I'm not married". I thought, woe sister, I like my innards, stop eviscerating me with them eyes. But laughter quickly ensued lol Smile

08-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Marriage has a lot of legal advantages, and there are things like hospitals who won't let "mates" see their ill partners under certain circumstances and all kinds of shit that happens.

For some people it has emotional advantages, such as a feeling of security or a feeling of belonging, not as in ownership but as in partnership.

I have been pro and con marriage in the course of my life.

I have settled on: It should be a choice.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
08-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Marriage was a way, back when, to supposedly assure that the woman was faithful to the man and therefore there would be no doubt as to the paternity of the child(ren). Note the faithfulness of the man isn't an issue in this.

As it stands now, it is much more of a public and legal commitment. I don't care who marries who. I don't care who doesn't marry who. I agree with Dom, it should be a choice.

For all grammar nazis...yeah somewhere in there I probably should have used 'whom'. Get over it. Tongue

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
08-04-2013, 05:09 PM
(08-04-2013 04:34 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(08-04-2013 03:43 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Born out of a tradition of purchasing your wife from her father. Don't worry, you can still have the diamonds, ladies Wink )

Like hell! What am I going to do with some punk's stupid diamonds? My dad, however, is really counting on those goats. Though he'll also accept camels.

And no thread is the wrong thread to say marriage is a pointless institution. Been saying it for years myself. Of course, like that pink dog above said, it can still come in handy in certain situations. A strictly legal thing, necessary in some situations. I have no beef with this, but people trying to turn it into some sacred institution? Puh-lease!

(Couldn't bring myself to watch the video. Saw what that girl was holding up and thought my head was going to explode from so much stupid. A princess... If there is a dumber, triter, more ridiculous cliche, form of address, what have you, than calling a girl "a princess" I'd like to know what it is. Actually, scratch that. I wouldn't.)

Huh WOE sister Yes just meant I don't mind buying a gift or showing sentiment from time to time Tongue

08-04-2013, 05:21 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2013 05:27 PM by Vera.)
(08-04-2013 04:51 PM)Dom Wrote:  For some people it has emotional advantages, such as a feeling of security

But shouldn't this security come from the relationship itself, the other person, and not from outside, as it were, not from a piece of paper the two once signed? Way too often it's a false sense of security that marriage breeds. I guess I've just seen my fair share of marriages where people are still together only through force of habit and it's a joyless, depressing thing, both to watch, as well as to live it...

(I also have a slight problem with the whole "marriage is forever" idea. Not because I don't believe it can happen, it can; but I also know that no one can be sure how they're going to feel in 1, 5, 10, 30 years. Thus, promising someone you'll love them and be with them until you die, seems a bit dishonest...)

For the record, I'm not disagreeing with you at all. Just rambling aimlessly. I agree with all you're saying and it should, indeed, be a choice.

Quote: WOE sister

Bride price.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
08-04-2013, 05:25 PM
(08-04-2013 05:21 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(08-04-2013 04:51 PM)Dom Wrote:  For some people it has emotional advantages, such as a feeling of security

But shouldn't this security come from the relationship itself, the other person, and not from outside, as it were, not from a piece of paper the two once signed? Way too often it's a false sense of security that marriage breeds. I guess I've just seen my fair share of marriages where people are still together only through force of habit and it's a joyless, depressing thing, both to watch, as well as to live it...

(I also have a slight problem with the whole "marriage is forever" idea. Not because I don't believe it can happen, it can; but I also know that no one can be sure how they're going to feel in 1, 5, 10, 30 years. Thus, promising someone you'll love them and be with them until you die, seems a bit dishonest...)

For the record, I'm not disagreeing with you at all. Just rambling aimlessly. I agree with all you're saying and it should, indeed, be a choice.

Lol, a bleak view of it. I shared that view and then ended up getting married anyway and having a wonderful marriage til death do us part, in sickness and in health. It would likely have been the same without the papers, but then I wouldn't be getting a pension.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post