A Non Scotsman who is Mad at God! Dumbest argument EVER!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2012, 01:15 PM
RE: A Non Scotsman who is Mad at God! Dumbest argument EVER!
(14-11-2012 10:39 AM)Denicio Wrote:  How often do you guys run into these same arguments and how
do you combat them?
It's quite simple, really. Ask them for evidence to back up their assertions.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2012, 03:38 PM
(14-11-2012 10:39 AM)Denicio Wrote:  How often do you guys run into these same arguments and how
do you combat them?
Well you have to simply show them why it is a fallacy. Provide examples to explain it to them, and then wait for the next argument.

I encounter christians all the time. Usually it's not a big deal but sometimes they feel like a good debate and we discuss it.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
14-11-2012, 04:01 PM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2012 06:30 PM by Reltzik.)
As for the "no Christian who leaves fold was a true Christian"...

... eh, it's a valid (or at least self-coherent) way of defining Christian. But it's so completely, utterly, positively clunky for actual use, because you can never know it to be true.

Ask him to use it in a predictive sense. For anyone living that he identifies as being a Christian, ask if this means he's SURE they will never leave the fold. Can he be sure about, say, his best friends? The televangelist on the TV? His minister? Himself? Point him to the accounts of various atheists who say that they DID know they were Saved and that was special etc etc and then they started questioning. Ask him how he can be sure that he isn't at that stage, and that five years from now he won't be giving a similar account. In short, can he declare definitively that he's a Christian if he can't be sure he'll stay one? If he is sure, were all those deconverted lying about their faith when they were faithful? And if not, is he bearing false witness by saying for sure that he is when he can't actually be sure?

Challenge him on this at every opportunity, and if he doesn't unfriend you he'll drop that definition of Christian real quick.

As for the mad at God bit? Burden of proof on him. He is NOT a witness to the internal emotional state and reasoning of others (save, MAYBE, those who have explained said emotions in detail), and he should stop falsely presenting himself as a witness to it.

.... you may notice, I like "false witness" in my arguments. A lot.

EDIT: Anyone else notice how "deconverted" isn't in the thinking atheist forum's spell-check dictionary?

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
14-11-2012, 04:19 PM
do you combat them?
On a second thought... The Dude has a good response to peeps like that.

[Image: your_opinion.jpg%3Fw%3D302%26h%3D300]

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post