A Parable on the Efficacy of Prayer...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2014, 02:48 PM
RE: A Parable on the Efficacy of Prayer...
(23-09-2014 02:05 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I think there should have been more groups in the study. Group 4 - tell them they are being prayed for, but no actual prayers. Group 5, tell them they are not being prayed for, but in actuality pray for them.
Edit: Group 6 - tell them they are not being prayed for, and no prayers.

Group 7: Tell them they are being prayed for, but pray for their deaths.

Group 8: Tell them no prayers, but pray for their deaths.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
23-09-2014, 02:51 PM
(23-09-2014 02:05 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I think there should have been more groups in the study. Group 4 - tell them they are being prayed for, but no actual prayers. Group 5, tell them they are not being prayed for, but in actuality pray for them.

That's a great idea. It would be interesting to see the new results.

But, I digress, there's really no such thing as 'unanswered prayers,' if one is a believer. The loop hole being...(and I have Christian friends who tout this, and I even did once upon a time...) ''well, when you hear nothing, that just means that God has a better plan than what you are praying for.''

So, no matter the results...those 'praying' would find a loop hole.

Dodgy

Be true to yourself. Heart
Find all posts by this user
23-09-2014, 02:56 PM
I think statistical evidence is already out there, just look at insurance tables. Is there a Christian bonus because they don't get in car wrecks or have cancer?

Insurance companies would love to insure a group that has statistically less instances of accidents, or diseases. They could make a mint charging them the same rate as the rest of us poor godless schmucks.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
23-09-2014, 02:59 PM
(23-09-2014 02:51 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  

But, I digress, there's really no such thing as 'unanswered prayers,' if one is a believer. The loop hole being...(and I have Christian friends who tout this, and I even did once upon a time...) ''well, when you hear nothing, that just means that God has a better plan than what you are praying for.''

Dodgy

Yes this and that stupid country song "Thank God for unanswered prayers" Dodgy

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
23-09-2014, 03:07 PM
(23-09-2014 02:59 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(23-09-2014 02:51 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  That's a great idea. It would be interesting to see the new results.

Dodgy

Yes this and that stupid country song "Thank God for unanswered prayers" Dodgy

I harbor so much hate for that song.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
23-09-2014, 03:14 PM
(23-09-2014 03:07 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(23-09-2014 02:59 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Yes this and that stupid country song "Thank God for unanswered prayers" Dodgy

I harbor so much hate for that song.

In full agreement for the profound dislike of this song. I had a work associate say, in regards to the biblical slaughter of children, "it's for their own good. They go to heaven." That statement and this song bring up similar emotions in me. Sigh.... at least zealots are a dieing breed sans some global catastrophe.
23-09-2014, 03:42 PM
(23-09-2014 02:51 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  

Dodgy

Another way they like to put it is "God answers all prayers, but sometimes (I would say most of the time) the answer is no."

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load
23-09-2014, 03:48 PM
Actually, heart surgery patients were found to fare less well, when prayed for :
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/200...133554.htm
(When I have "the big one", please don't pray for me). Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
23-09-2014, 03:50 PM
(23-09-2014 03:48 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Actually, heart surgery patients were found to fare less well, when prayed for :

Ya, this was attributed to "performance anxiety".
23-09-2014, 05:34 PM
(23-09-2014 03:50 PM)Saitac Wrote:  
(23-09-2014 03:48 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Actually, heart surgery patients were found to fare less well, when prayed for :

Ya, this was attributed to "performance anxiety".

I've never really understood "performance anxiety", but then I'm not a guy.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman