A Parable on the Efficacy of Prayer...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2014, 09:57 PM
RE: A Parable on the Efficacy of Prayer...
(23-09-2014 03:50 PM)Saitac Wrote:  
(23-09-2014 03:48 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Actually, heart surgery patients were found to fare less well, when prayed for :
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/200...133554.htm
(When I have "the big one", please don't pray for me). Tongue

Ya, this was attributed to "performance anxiety".

It's a euphemism for a heart attack. Drinking Beverage

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2014, 05:14 AM
(23-09-2014 05:34 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(23-09-2014 03:50 PM)Saitac Wrote:  Ya, this was attributed to "performance anxiety".

I've never really understood "performance anxiety", but then I'm not a guy.

Just substitute "stage fright" and you'll be close.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-09-2014, 09:12 AM
Any prayer, however modest in what it requests, is a colossal hubris, for it presumes two absurdities:

1. That whatever is requested be given priority over anyone else's request it might conflict with. You pray that you don't get run over by a bus. A new surgeon prays that he never faces a shortage of patients. You pray that you get that new job. So do all the other applicants. Etc. A prayer is a conceit that your desire for what should happen is what should happen, when the very fact that you're praying about it signifies your knowledge about it is so weak you don't know the outcome.

We never pray about the things we can control, we only pray where we lack confidence in control. It amounts to an assertion of control when the ordinary instruments of control are beyond reach. It's lazy and arrogant.

2. Prayer is nothing less than telling an all powerful all knowledgeable god something you think he doesn't already know and needs to be told about, and that what you're telling him is superior to whatever else he might have had in mind; in short, that you know better than him what's best. Expressed with accompanying lamentation about how undeserving and insignificant you are.

Ambrose Bierce defined prayer best: "To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner, confessedly unworthy.”
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post